Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,696 of 2,440
So I managed to get the new lambskin pads on the Z7M2. Relatively painless process take out 1 screw on the inside of the cup and they just rotate off.

I have to say there is not only a huge sound difference, but also a huge size difference. The lambskin pads I got are angled, but also quite thick. As a result the driver moves much further away from the ears and I also had to increase the headband size almost 2x what it was with the stock pads. There is more clamp force as well on the sides.

First thing I noticed is that the headphones now sound massive. Soundstage was not bad before, but not particularly a strength. With the new pads the horizontal stage is much wider now. It was a bit unsettling at first compared to stock, but I was able to adjust to it. New pads also reduced bass thickness compared to stock. The drivers being further away means less direct bass impact and a relatively more balanced sound overall. All the qualities of the stock Z7M2 are there, but toned down a little in intensity and are also more encompassing now.

I'll keep these pads on a couple of more days before going back to stock and comparing, but I have the feeling I will stick with these lambskin pads in the end.

Here are there one's I got if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000024596604.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dfWO7JM

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,697 of 2,440
So I managed to get the new lambskin pads on the Z7M2. Relatively painless process take out 1 screw on the inside of the cup and they just rotate off.

I have to say there is not only a huge sound difference, but also a huge size difference. The lambskin pads I got are angled, but also quite thick. As a result the driver moves much further away from the ears and I also had to increase the headband size almost 2x what it was with the stock pads. There is more clamp force as well on the sides.

First thing I noticed is that the headphones now sound massive. Soundstage was not bad before, but not particularly a strength. With the new pads the horizontal stage is much wider now. It was a bit unsettling at first compared to stock, but I was able to adjust to it. New pads also reduced bass thickness compared to stock. The drivers being further away means less direct bass impact and a relatively more balanced sound overall. All the qualities of the stock Z7M2 are there, but toned down a little in intensity and are also more encompassing now.

I'll keep these pads on a couple of more days before going back to stock and comparing, but I have the feeling I will stick with these lambskin pads in the end.

Here are there one's I got if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000024596604.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dfWO7JM

That's awesome!

Just a question, how easily did it rotate off for you? I could barely get mine to rotate off and I'm afraid I might tear the pads if I force it too much.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,699 of 2,440
That's awesome!

Just a question, how easily did it rotate off for you? I could barely get mine to rotate off and I'm afraid I might tear the pads if I force it too much.

After taking the screw off, the first time requires some force but not that much. You need to grab the ring around the cups that the pads are on rather than rotating the pads themselves.

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,701 of 2,440

I just ordered these pads the other day. Hopefully it sounds good. :L3000::L3000: I wanted to order another fostex sheepskin dekoni pads as mine were already torn but shipping is very expensive.

Is it really real leather? I ordered non angled ones before as sheepskin advertised just to be disappointed that it was just faux.

Can you pls show us some actual pics of those pads?

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,702 of 2,440
@Vitaly2017 I checked with BH and Crutchfield. Crutchfield is about to receive their shipment on June 30th and BH is expecting their on June 28th, so hopefully that means that our orders will be shipping soon. I just hope that this doesn't get caught up in the xm4 delay timeline

Just checked looks like B&H is available in 7 to 14 days? Adorama is still on back order. I guess 1 more month of waiting aaaaaaaa.

Thank god I have good iems and wm1z/Romi to listen FEWWWW

I will also be looking into buying the kimber kable balanced for my z7m2 :) And then Burn in procedures for 800 hours :)

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,703 of 2,440
Just checked looks like B&H is available in 7 to 14 days? Adorama is still on back order. I guess 1 more month of waiting aaaaaaaa.

Thank god I have good iems and wm1z/Romi to listen FEWWWW

I will also be looking into buying the kimber kable balanced for my z7m2 :) And then Burn in procedures for 800 hours :)
Man I could not wait that long, but it'll be worth it I'm sure.

I just ordered these pads the other day. Hopefully it sounds good. :L3000::L3000: I wanted to order another fostex sheepskin dekoni pads as mine were already torn but shipping is very expensive.

Is it really real leather? I ordered non angled ones before as sheepskin advertised just to be disappointed that it was just faux.

Can you pls show us some actual pics of those pads?
Here some pics of the pads themselves, but I already took them off since the clamp force was too much compared to stock. I'm in the process of breaking in/compressing these pads so that don't increase the pressure as much, since I did like the sound a bit better with them on. Probably not real leather though, but they are much softer/nicer texture than stock imo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_102604.jpg
    IMG_20200628_102604.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200628_102559.jpg
    IMG_20200628_102559.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200628_102553.jpg
    IMG_20200628_102553.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,704 of 2,440

Here some pics of the pads themselves, but I already took them off since the clamp force was too much compared to stock. I'm in the process of breaking in/compressing these pads so that don't increase the pressure as much, since I did like the sound a bit better with them on. Probably not real leather though, but they are much softer/nicer texture than stock imo.

HECK yea it is I paid 400$ for it brand new !

nice pads , why you changed from the stock pads?

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,706 of 2,440
Has anyone found a case that fits for the Sony Z7m2 ? i dont think i can keep using the sony box anymore :frowning2: its getting damaged from storage.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,708 of 2,440

Thanks for the pictures.
Just buy the dekoni tx00 sheepskin earpads, sounds really good and they're angled, just around 30mm thick unlike these pads or go for zmf ori.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back