Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #31 of 440
Hey All. I hope you are keeping well.

Thanks Peterek for opening this thread. Its good to have a place where we can focus and have some exchange.

I wrote my initial mod guide for the Z7. It's not yet complete and I am open for suggestions on this (I was dead tired when I wrote it, which was literally 5 min ago and must be full of errors). Pictures are shoddy too.

So, please have a read through the guide and PM me your thoughts and impressions.

Be aware that you can already follow this guide if you wish to mod your Z7.

The guide can be found here (It won't let me link directly):

https://app.box.com/s/4ij22fqqkp4i4xg4xkb3urcyygtya1oo

(I am still dead tired and better throw myself on a pillow)

The best guide with details, step by steps, controls of possible damages and clean+ clear picture. We, head-fi fellows, appreciate your times and efforts for confirming the improvements, the excellent guide to mod the Z7 into the next, and unique headphones :D. Welcome to the club!

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 440
  Hey All. I hope you are keeping well.

Thanks Peterek for opening this thread. Its good to have a place where we can focus and have some exchange.

I wrote my initial mod guide for the Z7. It's not yet complete and I am open for suggestions on this (I was dead tired when I wrote it, which was literally 5 min ago and must be full of errors). Pictures are shoddy too.

So, please have a read through the guide and PM me your thoughts and impressions.

Be aware that you can already follow this guide if you wish to mod your Z7.

The guide can be found here (It won't let me link directly):

https://app.box.com/s/4ij22fqqkp4i4xg4xkb3urcyygtya1oo

(I am still dead tired and better throw myself on a pillow)

The best guide with details, step by steps, controls of possible damages and clean+ clear picture. We, head-fi fellows, appreciate your times and efforts for confirming the improvements, the excellent guide to mod the Z7 into the next, and unique headphones
biggrin.gif
. Welcome to the club!

Indeed @tokyoskies that was really well done! Lot's of pictures an very detailed thanks man :D 

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #33 of 440
Thanks guys.

I went through the guide again and decided to restructure it. I think I will just define the stages of the mod some more and go from simple dampening through the various stages, up until treble mod. For people who just want to apply one of the stages, it will be much easier to just do stage 1 and stop, or follow another stage or even jump to a different one from the start.

Does that make sense? (nothing makes sense to me right now..im all drugged up with flu meds)

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #34 of 440
  Thanks guys.

I went through the guide again and decided to restructure it. I think I will just define the stages of the mod some more and go from simple dampening through the various stages, up until treble mod. For people who just want to apply one of the stages, it will be much easier to just do stage 1 and stop, or follow another stage or even jump to a different one from the start.

Does that make sense? (nothing makes sense to me right now..im all drugged up with flu meds)

yeap, Bill-P an Mark L have both done "level" mods, obviously Mark Charges for them, but that makes a lot of sense 

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #35 of 440
Thanks.

So I have written the entire thing again and way more detailed. I might even be talking too much.

Sorry, I tried to write this on my Windows computer but just couldnt get used to Word 2016. So, I did the whole thing on my Mac in Pages.

The PDF and DOC can be found here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2yFARWYO4k8RGIySUVsWEYtNW8?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #36 of 440
Very nice Guide, and I love how you neatly packaged it into convenient files!

You are awesome!
dt880smile.png

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #39 of 440
Upgraded cables will give better conductivity, and is the same reason why you would upgrade the cables outside. It makes even more sense to upgrade the cables inside to avoid the bottle neck of down graded quality

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #41 of 440
Finally I had time to mod this headphone. I replaced the stock cable with some solid "square" silver cable.
The sound does change a bit, now it is more detail and the extension of both ends are improved.

However, one of the sockets may have been damaged when removing the cap, it cannot lock the plug of the cable as tight as another one. As a result, the socket cannot hold heavy DIY cables or even standard cables in portable use. Are there any replacement socket can be used ? The diameter is less than 7mm.

Thanks in advanced!

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #43 of 440
  Finally I had time to mod this headphone. I replaced the stock cable with some solid "square" silver cable.
The sound does change a bit, now it is more detail and the extension of both ends are improved.

However, one of the sockets may have been damaged when removing the cap, it cannot lock the plug of the cable as tight as another one. As a result, the socket cannot hold heavy DIY cables or even standard cables in portable use. Are there any replacement socket can be used ? The diameter is less than 7mm.

Thanks in advanced!

Yeah I have the ones that came in my Z7, they work perfectly. PM me and let me know whether it's the left or the right that you need and your address and I'll ship it over to you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back