Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 440
  HELLO! I removed the ear pads! 

Can you change the driver from ANGLED to FLAT?????

Thank you!

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT 

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 440

On this one it seems flat??

it would appear your looking at the headphone from two different sides, meaning it's angled against the back of the cups an sitting flat on the front end

but I doubt your headphones are lopsided

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #21 of 440
It still is angled on the front view of the driver...look closely.....this is the first case that people would ever asked to make the pad more flat....the pads are Flat....the drivers housing is angled or the whole constructions are angled. That make the pads appear angled, but the pads are flat.

Red arrow point to the driver side got raised up
Green to the side that recede in
Yes, it is angled. Unless you make your pads in the opposite angle to off-set the angled construction. You will be the first in the history to do so :D. Let's us know how it work out.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #22 of 440
Let's approach this in a different way guys.

The pads are angled.

The drivers are angled.

How about this; turn the pads 180° so the angle of the pads cancels the angle of the drivers.

BOOM.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 440
Yes sir...unless you counter angle to offset it

Yes! Not to an extreme level like Alphas or LCD, but they are definitely angled. Makiah can confirm this for you.

yea they have a slight angle to them

Thought making them "flat" will give you a very poor sound stage, an leave you with a well less than desireable sound imo 

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #30 of 440
Hey All. I hope you are keeping well.

Thanks Peterek for opening this thread. Its good to have a place where we can focus and have some exchange.

I wrote my initial mod guide for the Z7. It's not yet complete and I am open for suggestions on this (I was dead tired when I wrote it, which was literally 5 min ago and must be full of errors). Pictures are shoddy too.

So, please have a read through the guide and PM me your thoughts and impressions.

Be aware that you can already follow this guide if you wish to mod your Z7.

The guide can be found here (It won't let me link directly):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2yFARWYO4k8RGIySUVsWEYtNW8?usp=sharing

(I am still dead tired and better throw myself on a pillow)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back