Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Apr 6, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #316 of 440
  I''m probably mixing up and misinterpreting stuff, I'm new to this and learning as I go. I was kinda going off my ears and this thread - "Note bass is pushed down about 3-4db". I'm definitely sensitive to treble, the towel isn't ideal but I'm guessing its 3-4dbs reduction after 4-5k hz and not much below that. I will look at setting up a pass filter when I get home.

That makes sense since they used fiber fill which is a not ideal in a ported enclosure. I've written in previous posts to not use fill because it would change the "tuning" of the ports. It's a problem in the Z7 because there's no way to not block the ports. In a ported speaker box one could glue, attach the fill in a way as to not block the ports but that's not possible in our application.

May 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #317 of 440
Thanks Peterek ! Finally a thread for Z7 mods. Coming from Sony Headphones Owners, everyone must be fairly familiar with (cups dampening mod). I am gladly reporting in that I have done a couple mods myself, and the Z7 not only show improvements but more like a transformation.

1/ cup chambers dampening mods
2/ upgraded Solid-Silver braided cables toward the drivers

These 2 were the mods that brought in much improvements, and ofcourse the 3rd options of upgraded main cables from Kimber Kables by Sony or whoever you want to call it. I am glad that I also use Solid silver for my main cables as well.

I was able to achieve more sub-bass extensions and energy that give the rumbles effects by the first 2 mods. However the damping mod must be done first prior to the cables being upgraded, otherwise it would be a Pain. The dampening will cancel out the powerful mod-bass resonances which in turn cancel out the sub-bass extensions and mushy out the sub-bass to bass texture or body. This is the main reason why stock Z7 has mushy bass, sometime flappy, and even distort....it is the result from all of the long frequency waves resonated and being amplified by the cup chambers. It amplified resonances make the bass mushy and blur the lines of sub-bass, and the mid-bass slams on the Z7 is very very powerful, that is why the cup need dampening.

Too much dampening material and it loses the volumetric inside to produce proper sub-bass extensions.....blocking out the vent ports and it would also do so. The best is porous paper tape (surgical grade for non absorbent property). That is to avoid trapping and absorbing the humidity in the air which degrades the tapes over the years.

Dampening onto the back would clean up the graininess from within the trebles and create further air and warmth, which in turn also help out to tone the mid-bass and sub-bass body into a much more defined and layered bass, and giving more airs into the vocal trebles region.

Solid silver cables was used to upgrade the super-slim oxygen free copper by stock Z7, which brought into much more conductivity, flows to help the drivers respond faster, in which it helps define more resolutions across the whole spectrums bass-mid-trebles. Most specially would be the soundstage and the bass to be even more controlled and tighter together with the "metallic tints" being more organic and "crystalline" but no longer metallic.

These mods were done, and transformed Z7 into a somewhat unique sound signature with bass that rumbles and sub-bass that pressurize the ears (feel the air) and yet defined mid. If one is picky enough and want even more splash and trebles extensions....the center felt paper could be taken out, thinned out, and that even help trebles further...I don't...advise to take it out.

Never the less, Z7 is a good headphones at it price point, but the potentials to turn it into something even more high-end is there, and can clearly be achieved by what I had done. I can see why some used Z7 can be had for cheap now (I meant cheap). It is the best time to buy them and mod them. You will have the experiences that can hardly brought by anything else...I do mean it, my Th900 is also upgraded but Z7 stands toes to toes with it with just different sound signature.

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

I did this same surgical tape mod, but did not change the internal wires. Apply inf the tape is very easy and does not take long. In terms of sound: IMO, the mod cleans up the mid-bass and the lower mids too. I cannot attest to changes in trebles, but maybe that is more due to the silver cables whitigir used. Anyway, amazing what half an hour work and 3 bucks for a roll of surgical tape does! I would describe the sound signature with the mod as that of a "mini Z1R", if that existed.

I am driving it through the stock cable, but with a balanced XLR termination on my HA-1, which complements the slightly dark signature pretty well. IMO, the Z7 benefits from a slightly clearer solid state DAC.

I ordered a balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon for my Z1R and Z7. Very curious what that does to the signature of those two.

Anyone any experience with this cable (or any other silver cable)?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #318 of 440
Anyone has take on a good DAP for Z7, I am currently using an iphone 6 and casual listen and +mojo for serious listen but 128G seems limited on iPhone especially many DAPs now can take on 2 micro SD cards. I tried 1a/1z/1es vs mojo on z1r/z7 for few hours in Sony store, 1a/1z/1es has that airiness feel and details, but voice feels recessed towards the back and a bit dark, mojo voice is much more fore-front and presentable, vocals are strong for mojo. I have also tried the new AK Kann briefly and it seems it's comparable with Mojo on voice, but it's way too big and heavy, but storage is huge 128+256+512! I am gear towards on the Onkyo DP-S1 for it's small size but it seems not able to connect to Mojo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #319 of 440
Anyone has take on a good DAP for Z7, I am currently using an iphone 6 and casual listen and +mojo for serious listen but 128G seems limited on iPhone especially many DAPs now can take on 2 micro SD cards. I tried 1a/1z/1es vs mojo on z1r/z7 for few hours in Sony store, 1a/1z/1es has that airiness feel and details, but voice feels recessed towards the back and a bit dark, mojo voice is much more fore-front and presentable, vocals are strong for mojo. I have also tried the new AK Kann briefly and it seems it's comparable with Mojo on voice, but it's way too big and heavy, but storage is huge 128+256+512! I am gear towards on the Onkyo DP-S1 for it's small size but it seems not able to connect to Mojo. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Opus#1 has two microSD slots, and I believe the 3.5 mm jack doubles as an optical out (don't quote me on that though)? I haven't spent much time listening to it with Z7 but reasonably capable of driving them. If you have an opportunity to demo it, might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #321 of 440
I'm a fan of pad rolling but the way these attach to the earcups it is not possible. I actually do like the pads a lot, especially with the mod adding a bit something to raise the pads and make more room. White Tiger can probably get more into that since he invented that and I've had him mod mine. I also know narrower pad openings as these have enhance the bass which I'm a big fan of.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #324 of 440
need to procure new drivers for my headphones tried my luck with the used market but ran into a dishonest seller. The right driver rattles at low frequency's, does anyone know where you can buy them?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #325 of 440
I might try faced vs non-faced damping. You can tune the fq of the damping by coating the damping material. IE, the best of both worlds.

Figure 3 shows typical changes when placing a film or facing on the top surface of a porous material. The change in the sound absorption for the faced material is an increase at the lower frequency absorption and a decrease in absorption at the higher frequencies. This is due to the film now acting as a spring-mass resonator for the low frequency peak. At the higher frequencies, the face causes the sound to reflect. Knowing how different faces can change the absorption of a material, Technicon can design the best sound absorber for a customer's noise problem.

I've been meaning to revisit this and try making my own mini spring mass resonator but with charcoal. I might also try sealing it so that the charcoal is not as reactive to humidity, ie. loses porosity as its displaced by humidity. KEF's ACE cabinets are acoustically sealed but the Z7 is a hybrid with some porting. I don't think much moisture gets in but I still think about it. I've done some crude modding by applying an aluminum face to my charcoal pad. I need to clean it up some. My theory is that the charcoal will improve the bass, while the alu face preserves the the rest of the range.

Btw, are there any Z7 owners in the SoCal area? Send me a pm, as I could really borrow your ears. I'll mod your Z7 in exchange.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/video/technology/ace.mp4

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #326 of 440
Thanks Peterek ! Finally a thread for Z7 mods. Coming from Sony Headphones Owners, everyone must be fairly familiar with (cups dampening mod). I am gladly reporting in that I have done a couple mods myself, and the Z7 not only show improvements but more like a transformation.

1/ cup chambers dampening mods
2/ upgraded Solid-Silver braided cables toward the drivers

These 2 were the mods that brought in much improvements, and ofcourse the 3rd options of upgraded main cables from Kimber Kables by Sony or whoever you want to call it. I am glad that I also use Solid silver for my main cables as well.

I was able to achieve more sub-bass extensions and energy that give the rumbles effects by the first 2 mods. However the damping mod must be done first prior to the cables being upgraded, otherwise it would be a Pain. The dampening will cancel out the powerful mod-bass resonances which in turn cancel out the sub-bass extensions and mushy out the sub-bass to bass texture or body. This is the main reason why stock Z7 has mushy bass, sometime flappy, and even distort....it is the result from all of the long frequency waves resonated and being amplified by the cup chambers. It amplified resonances make the bass mushy and blur the lines of sub-bass, and the mid-bass slams on the Z7 is very very powerful, that is why the cup need dampening.

Too much dampening material and it loses the volumetric inside to produce proper sub-bass extensions.....blocking out the vent ports and it would also do so. The best is porous paper tape (surgical grade for non absorbent property). That is to avoid trapping and absorbing the humidity in the air which degrades the tapes over the years.

Dampening onto the back would clean up the graininess from within the trebles and create further air and warmth, which in turn also help out to tone the mid-bass and sub-bass body into a much more defined and layered bass, and giving more airs into the vocal trebles region.

Solid silver cables was used to upgrade the super-slim oxygen free copper by stock Z7, which brought into much more conductivity, flows to help the drivers respond faster, in which it helps define more resolutions across the whole spectrums bass-mid-trebles. Most specially would be the soundstage and the bass to be even more controlled and tighter together with the "metallic tints" being more organic and "crystalline" but no longer metallic.

These mods were done, and transformed Z7 into a somewhat unique sound signature with bass that rumbles and sub-bass that pressurize the ears (feel the air) and yet defined mid. If one is picky enough and want even more splash and trebles extensions....the center felt paper could be taken out, thinned out, and that even help trebles further...I don't...advise to take it out.

Never the less, Z7 is a good headphones at it price point, but the potentials to turn it into something even more high-end is there, and can clearly be achieved by what I had done. I can see why some used Z7 can be had for cheap now (I meant cheap). It is the best time to buy them and mod them. You will have the experiences that can hardly brought by anything else...I do mean it, my Th900 is also upgraded but Z7 stands toes to toes with it with just different sound signature.

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

Thanks to you, I finally found the perfect headphone after searching for at least 4-5 months. I tried T1, MDR-Z1R, TH-900 MK2 and PM-3. I had issues with all of them. If I didn't come across this thread, I would have probably return it right away because I have terrible distortion on most of my music. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I'm glad I did the mod. I'm pairing with Modi Multibit and Magni2 Uber.
Thanks for posting it up :)

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #329 of 440
How did you get those on there. Do you have any pictures? How are the low mids, mids and treble. Is the sub bass equally extended? Thanks.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1167786/Sony-Mdr-Z7.html?page=4#manual

There is a screw that holds the pads in place to the ear pad holder rings and the rings to the housing. Once that is removed you simply turn and twist the pads and the pads will come off with the rings. For the alpha pads I had to make slight alteration to the pads to make them fit as the rear opening that is suppose to wrap over the ring is slightly too small. What I did was get a small pair of scissors and simply cut the opening wider by like a centimeter.

As for sound, I didn't really hear much of a change in treble and mids in terms of quality and quantity but the bass did seem to tighten up a bit but extension appears to be the same. The sound-stage is ever so slightly wider (possibly due to the slightly deeper & thicker alpha pads).

Do note that if you have a bigger head, the alpha pads might render the fit too tight. On stock I had mine on 7-8 and on the alpha pads I had to fully extend the headphone due to the larger pads.

20170715_110026.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #330 of 440
Thanks for the reply and great info. My huge head (mainly more long than wide) means I have mine fully open with stock pads, and they just make it to cover my ears okay. I'm very glad you mentioned that bit about the sizing, that's important for us very tall folks with proportionally tall heads who can't fit 90% of over ear headphones due to this. Yes, headphone size does matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back