Sony MDR-Z7 or Philips X2/27 Fidelio Headphones
Apr 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 33

The one thing to note is that the Z7 is a closed headphone, but it has not one but two ports on each earcup at the top and bottom.
This means that noise isolation is actually quite poor with this headphone, and I would not recommend it if external noise isolation is critical.
Needless to say, this headphone is too large to be used as a portable.
The detachable cable on the Z7 is just as nice, with a secure screw-in mechanism, serrations on the cable below the Y-split that prevent tangling, and a substantial Y-split and headphone jack.

Sony also sells some fancy high end cable for the Z7, but you know I don’t go in for that kind of thing.
Now all of this would be moot if the headphone felt like a tone of bricks on the head, but I’m very happy to report that the Z7 is actually a very very comfortable headphone.
First of all it’s very lightweight. It’s 335g, which is actually very light for a headphone of this size – especially if you consider that something like the M50X weighs 285g.
The headband is really well designed on the Z7. It makes a really broad point of contact with the top of my skull, so there’s really even pressure distribution.
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #32 of 33

I have received my Philips, and am considering to return it.

For $300, this is a great pair of headphones.  It has a good sound image, but it is not of my taste.  My pair also smells bad.  It is heavier than Sony MDR-Z7, and the headband is hurting my ears.

I think MDR-Z7 produces truer, cleaner, and well-positioned sound than Philips Fidelio X2.  This may be my subjective feelings, though.

I've never been a big fan of SONY headpones; to me they always lacked immediacy and punch... until now, that is.
When I plugged these beauties into my CEntrance DACmini, I was honestly blown away!
Can a headphone have powerful, in-your-gut bass and have extraordinary clarity and soundstage at the same time.
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #33 of 33
I’m looking to buy this headphone and have a few questions about it. If the owners could help me out it would be great. Please… pretty please.

A little background: I’m not a fan of uber neutral, linear sounding cans, they work well with certain types of music but for me they r ultimately not a fun listen. I like my headphones to have warm, engaging, punchy and detailed sound with a prominent and healthy bass body. Bass should not be boosted but what is there should not be presented in a diluted manner. I like to FEEL it not just hear it.
I DON’T WANT ANOTHER THIN, COLD SOUNDING HEADPHONE.

I had the HD 650(used with HA160D) for about 7-8 months and for listening to the music I listen to it just wasn't right. For me it was brilliant for watching bluray titles and Netflix but for most real world contemporary music it just didn't do it for me.

I listen to a lot of rock, some metal, pop, Blues, R&B and some rap, but mostly rock. Stuff like Blur, oasis, radiohead, black keys, the who, queens of the stone age, AC/DC, black Sabbath you get the picture.

Will be using the Z7 with HA160 D. A friend works for Sony and through him I'm getting a brand new one from Sony for nearly $200 less than retail.

Currently I own the Senn IE80 and the Beyer COP.

THE QUESTIONS
Removable Earpads ? Real leather?

The mids: Are they really recessed or thin sounding as some people have pointed out??

Bass: is it detailed and does it have detail throughout the bass frequencies, and is it deep reaching with good pacing and PRAT??

Sub bass: Does it have body, power, kick, slam and presence??

Clarity and  openness?
Sound stage?
Detail retrieval??
Treble??
Comfort and clamping pressure?? Comparable to HD650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back