Sony MDR-Z7 or Philips X2/27 Fidelio Headphones
Jan 21, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 33
I have voted for the X2s, not because I personally prefer the X2s, but because they are better balanced (without any oddities) and because they are easily loved by everyone. I haven't read a negative review or comment about them. You simply cannot go wrong with them.
The Z7s have their peculiarities, like a midrange that acts like a Barbapapa with different recordings, a bass that is bigger than neutral and a treble that some find too laid-back.
Once my ears have adusted to the Z7s I think they are magical, but I can only speak for myself,  just reading the Z7 thread will give you an impression how mixed the opinions are.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 33
No I only own the Sony's, but have auditioned the Philips.
I bought the Sony's because I could get them for a low price and because I prefer closed-back over open headphones.
The Sony's I would only buy if you could get them for ca. 200 US Dollar less than their retail price, and still then the Philips are probably better overall. I may get them myself one day :) 

Anyone else who wants to chime in?

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 33
Thank you again for your quick response.

I have been using my Denon AH-D7000 for a long time because the pair sounds great to me and yet comfortable.  The comfortableness, however, turns reduced as I wear them long hours.  Recently, I got a Sony MDR-1A and it is really comfortable.  The sound is ok, but I miss the sound of the Denon.  I felt that Sony MDR-Z7 may fill the gap.  If the Philips is as comfortable as Sony MDR-Z7, I am also interested in the Philips.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 33
What do you mean with the combustibility turns reduced ? That the initial excitment you get with the D7000s wears off after a while? 
If so this would mean you're looking for more exciting and aggressive headphones?

Well, I imagine that with the Sony's this 'combustibility' may turn reduced quicker than with the D7000s.
I own the D5000s myself and the Sony's are darker sounding, with less treble sparkle...but the mids of the Sony's are slightly more forward and I feel the Sony's are more dynamic sounding, so maybe it will work for you after all?

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 33
Sorry.  It was a misspelling.  I mean physical comfortableness.  I like the sound image of the Denon.  It is also the most comfortable pair of headphones until I found Sony MDR-1A.  I like the clean sound with strong bass of my MDR-1A, but the sound stage of the pair is not good for me.  I would be happier If I could get the sound image of the Denon and the comfortableness of the Sony.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 33
What is it you don't like about MDR-1A's soundstage?
I feel the soundstage of my D5000s are comparable overall, in width and depth with that of the MDR-Z7s.
But the Sony's are inconsistent, they can be very upfront and very laid-back depending the recording. True Denons soundstage differs as well from recording to recording, but the Sonys are more extreme in this regard. You have to hear this to believe it and this is the main reason I voted for the X2s in my 1st post. The inconsistent midrange/soundstage of the Sony's could be a deal-breaker.
But they are getting better and better...I think I mean to say that I'm getting used to them, but in the MDR-Z7 thread someone mentioned that with 100 hours playtime the mids and soundstage are getting more consistent, so maybe break-in does exsist?

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 33
MDR-1A has narrower or smaller sound stage than Denon AH-D7000.  If MDR-Z7's sound stage can improve after enough break-in, it may be for me.  Thanks for your information.  By the way, how comfortable was the Philips that you auditioned?

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 33
I find the comfort of the Fidelio's better. Their ear pads are not made of leather (Sony's real leather pads get hot after a while) and Fidelio's pads are larger than Sony's.
Coming to think of it, you mentioned that the D7000s get uncomfortable after a while...well I find my D5000s more comfortable than the Sony's...
Sorry, I am not making it easy for you :)

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 33
I have not heard of the Philips but I can vouch for the Sony. At first, I didn't like the Z7 very much and my findings were very similar to Mink. But that was then.

Now with the Kimber cable upgrade that Sony offers, the sound has really opened up and it has become more consistent. Keep in mind that you will need to burn in for many many hours (potentially 200) before it starts to really open up and shine.

If you have the budget to get the Kimber cable as well, I would give the Z7 a serious look.

dL

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 33
I may upgrade to the Kimber cables in time, but for now I like the Z7s just as they are in stock form.
And it may seem I am negative about them in this thread, but I really love them, I just think the Fidelios are the safer bet, not only sound-wise, but the huge price difference in favour of the Fidelios as-well.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 33
Good luck!

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #15 of 33
I was going to purchase the Philips X2 as well as the Sony.  But the price of X2 has gone up (377.99 + 29.90 shipping).  Do you think this premium is worth?  Is it that good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back