Sony MDR-Z7 or Philips X2/27 Fidelio Headphones
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #16 of 33
  I was going to purchase the Philips X2 as well as the Sony.  But the price of X2 has gone up (377.99 + 29.90 shipping).  Do you think this premium is worth?  Is it that good?

Pretty sure that's just because Amazon is currently out of stock and that's a third party seller's price. Once they get them back in stock they'll be back to the $299 price.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 33
I think Amazon's current price is due to the fact that they're out of their own stock and displaying a 3rd party seller with a higher price.  I think they'll be back to normal when they get their stock recharged.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #18 of 33
Amazon currently has them listed under the new tab for $299.99. With a shipping estimate of 31-37 days.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #20 of 33
Although I only own the X1 and Z7, thus not the updated X2, my 2p would be that they are quite different headphones and both worth having.

Please excuse my lack of articulation...

The X1(2?) sound stage is magnificent, but then it's an open back headphone, the special thing about the Philips is the ability to have an impactful bass without overshadowing the mids and highs, I'm led to believe open backs struggle with that.

That said, as they are open backs, they leak sound like you would expect, therefore won't suit quiet environments.

The Z7's are tremendous, sound stage is definitely wider than my MDR-1Rs, but not as wide as the X1's. Sonically I really think they are fantastic, they do seem to sound very different between differently produced tracks though, not in a bad way, in a very revealing good way.

I think another owner mentioned it in the Z7 thread, that they seem to love being driven at a reasonable volume, they seem to come alive, with more and more details being revealed, but that could be 'Head Burn In'.

Both are extremely comfortable, perhaps the Z7 a bit more so.

One difference is that the Z7 can be driven from a balanced amp, the X1(2) can't.

I bought both (ish), I couldn't be happier. Different horses for different courses.

Now I re-read this, it's not the most helpful post, sorry.

Whichever you went for, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 33
Well I'm keeping both, but if I could only have one pair, it would have to be the Z7s, even with the price difference.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #24 of 33
Just my 2cents:

I would get the X2 instead of Z7, as I have audituioned them both and found the Z7 too boomy in bass, too recessed in mids, and too sibilant in treble. The soundstage is just a bit wider than a pair of closed back headphone.

But I find the X2 very balanced, with thumping bass yet controlled, sweet mids, and good (acceptable) treble. The soundstage is much wider and natural than Z7.

YMMV, but for me, I will take the X2 anytime..

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #25 of 33
Just my 2cents:

I would get the X2 instead of Z7, as I have audituioned them both and found the Z7 too boomy in bass, too recessed in mids, and too sibilant in treble. The soundstage is just a bit wider than a pair of closed back headphone.

But I find the X2 very balanced, with thumping bass yet controlled, sweet mids, and good (acceptable) treble. The soundstage is much wider and natural than Z7.

YMMV, but for me, I will take the X2 anytime..

With all due respect, you must be one of the very few who finds the Z7s to be sibilant. To my ears and anyone on this forum who auditioned them they are the opposite of sibilant.
And just because the bass can be big at times, depending the recording, it doesn't mean the mids are recessed, I find this to be a common misconsception.
But I agree, generally speaking the X2s are better balanced and have a sound that most people will agree with, the Sony's are an acquired taste.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #26 of 33
Thank you all for your kind comments.  I have just received the Sony.  It is quite a pair of headphones.  I like the design.  As for sound, I don't know.  I am burning in the pair, and will see whether the sound would improve to my taste.

By the way, the audio cable that is attached to the right side plug seems to be loose.  Does anyone have this problem?

I have also placed an order of the pair of Philips phones, and I will provide my thoughts about it later.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 33
I have received my Philips, and am considering to return it.

For $300, this is a great pair of headphones.  It has a good sound image, but it is not of my taste.  My pair also smells bad.  It is heavier than Sony MDR-Z7, and the headband is hurting my ears.

I think MDR-Z7 produces truer, cleaner, and well-positioned sound than Philips Fidelio X2.  This may be my subjective feelings, though.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 33
  I have received my Philips, and am considering to return it.

For $300, this is a great pair of headphones.  It has a good sound image, but it is not of my taste.  My pair also smells bad.  It is heavier than Sony MDR-Z7, and the headband is hurting my ears.

I think MDR-Z7 produces truer, cleaner, and well-positioned sound than Philips Fidelio X2.  This may be my subjective feelings, though.

I just got the MDR-Z7 as well, I have had the Fidelio X2 for about two weeks and it doesn't amaze me at all (getting a replacement). The Sony indeed does seem to be a lot better. I only paid 400 euros for the Sony BTW.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #29 of 33
I own the X2 Fidelio and they are fantastic. Everyone who has auditioned mine, Sennheiser 600 and 650 owners, have been very impressed with the X2 comfort, build, soundstage and balance. The bass extension is also better than the Senns. Haven't heard the Sony but you can't go wrong with the Fidelio X2.

Also, I don't know your location, but the X2 is selling on Amazon (USA) for $299.99. That's what I paid for mine. YMMV.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 33
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.  I finally returned Philips X2, not because it is a bad pair of headphones, but it is not for my need.

My ears are accustomed to Denon AH-D7000.  Some years ago I decided to try high-end headphones, starting with Beyerdynamic DT 990, moving to AKG K 702, Sennheiser HD 650, Denon AH-D7000, and Sennheiser HD 800.  I have tried other headphones, but these are impressive ones so far.  In addition, once I tried Denon AH-D7000, I couldn't stand the sound of other pairs.  Even Sennheiser HD 800 was not for me even if it has a wider sound stage and is lighter than Denon AH-D7000.  I considered MDR-Z7 or Philips X2 because I wanted an all-purpose pair of headphones.  I tried portable pairs (e.g., Sennheiser PX210BT, Sennheiser PX310BT, Sennheiser MM 450X, Sony MDR-1RBT, Sony MDR-1A, etc.), but they didn't satisfy me.  Sony MDR-Z7 may be too big to be used outdoors, but I think I can bring it anywhere.

Philips X2 seems to be an impressive pair of headphones, especially for the price.  Nonetheless, I decided to return it because to me it is heavy and uncomfortable.  The sound image is not for me, either.

Now Sony MDR-Z7 is my pair of headphones.  The sound seems to get better and better.  Recently I purchased a Kimber Kable (MUC-B12SM1), and it makes the pair even better.  The cable is expensive, but I am satisfied with it.

Thank you again all of you for helping me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back