Sony MDR-Z1000 Squeaking Noise Problem
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dyaems

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure where to post this.. But mods, feel free to move the thread to the appropriate forum

Hey guys, anyone encountered this problem?

My friend has a Z1000 and everytime the cups gets moved, it makes a squeaking noise. I think it is related with the joints but I haven't tried opening it and it gets kinda annoying when I use it.

It usually makes the squeaking noise when I am walking, or trying to get the seal of the headphone, or if I move my head (from left to right for example).

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 18
Have a pair of z1000 and don't have this problem... well at least I havent encountered this problem however I don't use it that much and my pair was bought new and is now still super new

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 18
yeah, my friend's pair is being used everyday and i dont expect for the z1000 to get that problem, but it seems the other way around. im tempted to disassemble the cups and spray some wd40 on it since it is made of magnesium/metal-like material? im still not sure if it would fix the problem though!

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 18
Well don't know what to tell you... it also sucks that now the z1000 is a discontinued model so it may be harder to find support but still, maybe try contacting Sony?

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 18
already sent an email before making the thread, and the tech people from sony centres here in our country doesn't know what they are doing when we had the z1000 checked in their repair centres, sadly.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 18
already sent an email before making the thread, and the tech people from sony centres here in our country doesn't know what they are doing when we had the z1000 checked in their repair centres, sadly.

That sucks and the fact z1000 is a discontinued model doesn't help. I never experienced Sony's customer service so I don't know what to tell you really. However I should thank you for this thread because I would be even more careful with mine from now on. BTW did you or your friend use the z1000 roughly or did you guys try your best to take good care of it?

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 18
i believe my friend used it with great care. anyways, if i cant get help with sony ill just disassemble the thing and see how it goes from there. z1000 material is tough anyway so it shouldnt break if disassembled it with care.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
i believe my friend used it with great care. anyways, if i cant get help with sony ill just disassemble the thing and see how it goes from there. z1000 material is tough anyway so it shouldnt break if disassembled it with care.

cool, keep me updated with how that goes

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
That sucks and the fact z1000 is a discontinued model doesn't help. I never experienced Sony's customer service so I don't know what to tell you really. However I should thank you for this thread because I would be even more careful with mine from now on. BTW did you or your friend use the z1000 roughly or did you guys try your best to take good care of it?

Wait, what? Z1000 discontinued? Are these headphones bombed that hard? Even SA series lasted longer than these...

To OP : I think they are defective. I also have Z1000, and do not have such problems as well.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 18
Wait, what? Z1000 discontinued? Are these headphones bombed that hard? Even SA series lasted longer than these...

To OP : I think they are defective. I also have Z1000, and do not have such problems as well.

Think so, couldn't find it on the official Sony website last time I checked, before it was listed under studio monitor if I remember right but last time I didn't see it anymore. The "highest end" listed under studio monitor was now the zx700 which was supposed to be 1 step down. And I think Sony has new flagship now called ma300 if I remember correctly, priced at 300usd.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 18
still havent tried fixing the Z1000, maybe sometime this week. just bumping this thread up.

...and yes, the z1000 is already discontinued.

i wont say they are defective, since it plays perfectly fine. its just that it is making a squeaking noise at the "joints" where the headband is holding the cups. I think a spray of WD40 will fix it, or insert some material where the cups are being held. i hope!

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 18
still havent tried fixing the Z1000, maybe sometime this week. just bumping this thread up.

...and yes, the z1000 is already discontinued.

i wont say they are defective, since it plays perfectly fine. its just that it is making a squeaking noise at the "joints" where the headband is holding the cups. I think a spray of WD40 will fix it, or insert some material where the cups are being held. i hope!

Good luck with that, hope it all goes well, would hate to mess up a good headphone

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 18
sorry for the late reply as i only have time to attempt fixing it last saturday. no pics as well, sorry!

the actual problem where the squeaking is happening is located at the plastic part where the cups are being held, not sure what it is called... maybe the gimbals?

what i did to fix: sorry no pics because i dont have 4 arms to hold the z1000 clearly while taking a picture, but youll know what i am talking about once you opened the cups.

1. remove the pads.
2. remove the screws to open the z1000.
3. once opened, you will see a "block box" (one on each side) where it is adjacent to where one part of the cups is being held. there are also two screws that are holding that "black box" as well.
4. if you look at the side of the "black box", you will see a circle-like mechanism that prevents the cups to over-rotate and to prevent damage. just look at it lol... thats where the squeaking problem is.
5. remove the two screws where on the "black box"
6. get a WD40 and some cotton to prevent spillage. the "straw" thing from the WD40 is mandatory, it will be really messy if the straw is not used.
7. cover the "black box" with cotton, put some cotton where the cups are being held outside as well to prevent spillage.
8. put the straw on the WD40 and point the end of the straw to where the "circle part of the black box" is. you need to get past the cotton obviously.
9. apply the WD40! but not too much. one or two quick applications will do.
10. apply some WD40 on the screw slots as well "just to make sure."
11. remove the cottons.
12. get another bunch of cotton to clean up excess liquid from the WD40.
13. repeat the steps above on the other side. there are two black boxes inside the cups, so if the z1000 is making noise on both cups, you need to do the proceedure 4 times.
14. once everything is done, put everything back to how it was and dont forget to put the screw into  the "black box" again.

if it is still making any noise, the WD40 did not made any liquid contact with the circle mechanism inside the "black box" so you might have to redo the process again. locate which part of the cups is making the noise first by slowly rotating the cups vertically or horizontally.

if youre not sure if you want to use a WD40 on a plastic, an all-purpose oil (Singer Oil is the brand i think) would do as well. but things might get messier since there is no direct way of forcing the oil inside that plastic "black box" unlike with WD40.

also, i added an open-cell foam inside the cups to get rid of the slight peak that i am always hearing in the z1000. thats the only thing i noticed, no change in other frequencies.

sorry for the long post and my bad english!

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 18
glad that you finally found a cure and that you are posting it so other people can know what to do if that happens (hell, maybe it will be me later, knock on wood...). and about the peak, i also have that as well, will be nice to get it "fixed" but im too paranoid to mess with taking my headphone apart and stuff like this. its a minor issue and i dont really mind it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
glad that you finally found a cure and that you are posting it so other people can know what to do if that happens (hell, maybe it will be me later, knock on wood...). and about the peak, i also have that as well, will be nice to get it "fixed" but im too paranoid to mess with taking my headphone apart and stuff like this. its a minor issue and i dont really mind it.

its actually easy to open the headphone and the wire inside is long enough not to get tugged in any way. i actually opened the z1000 same time instead of the usual "one side at a time" when i tried fixing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back