Sony mdr xb1000 thoughts
Sep 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dub king

New Head-Fier
Hey, im looking for headphones that can hit really low bass notes. I dont really need it to be quanity, I have a fiio e11 for that. Also i want them to have a very spacious soundstage. I am thinking of the sony mdr xb1000, is that a good one for this. I only listen to dubstep btw.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 6
I own the mdr xb-1000s and the bass extends REALLY deep, and the soundstage is very spacious, that is for a headphone with a closed design (open back). The highs, on these headphones, can be sometimes intrusive, however, on almost all well recorded songs, this is no problem. And I'm sure, if you have access to an equalizer, this problem can be fixed for all songs... The mids on these headphones are well executed, seeing that the song X-Rated by Excision (assuming you've heard this track) sounds the cleanest on these headphones compared to beats and skullcandies (though not necessarily compared to my tf-10s, which are $400 in-ear monitors, but that's a whole different story). So if I were you, and only listened to dubstep, I think this would be a perfect canidate for a bassy pair of headphones.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I own the mdr xb-1000s and the bass extends REALLY deep, and the soundstage is very spacious, that is for a headphone with a closed design (open back). The highs, on these headphones, can be sometimes intrusive, however, on almost all well recorded songs, this is no problem. And I'm sure, if you have access to an equalizer, this problem can be fixed for all songs... The mids on these headphones are well executed, seeing that the song X-Rated by Excision (assuming you've heard this track) sounds the cleanest on these headphones compared to beats and skullcandies (though not necessarily compared to my tf-10s, which are $400 in-ear monitors, but that's a whole different story). So if I were you, and only listened to dubstep, I think this would be a perfect canidate for a bassy pair of headphones.

I've heard that they feature detachable cables, is this true? If so, i can't seem to get them to detach (haven't exactly tried very hard yet)

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 6
they dont detach, but as has already been echoed in here, these are really good for dubstep if soundstage is important to you, dubstep artist that use alot of deep base lines like rusko & phaeleh soud the best on the xb1000's

but if youre looking for slam, the kind that kicks your eardrums during the drop, the xb500 is better, and way cheaper

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I also would recommend buying the Fiio E6: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=31&MenuID=020301, which is a portable headphone amp, featuring 3 eq settings, two of which increase the bass level, or I'd recommend getting any number of the other amps they sell in case you have more money at your expense... (other good amps: E7, E07k (upgraded version of E7, but more expensive), or the E17, if you have a LOT of money at your expense; sidenote, I own both the e6 and e17, both are good, but the e17 is AMAZING, seeing it is both an amp and a DAC (digital to analog converter, basically a sound card better than those found in most audio players/electronic devices).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back