Sony MDR-X10 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 80 vs Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear)
Feb 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 20
New member here. I am new to the headphone world. The genre I mainly listen to is Rock (Disturbed, bullet for my valentine, AC DC) but I also occasionally listen to other genres like pop, hip hop, rap, and very rarely dubstep. As the thread title indicates I am looking into the MDR-X10, DT-770 pro 80 Ohm, and Sennheiser Momentum. I have tried them all out but i am not sure which one to get. I will mainly be using this with mobile devices like my phone, tablet, etc. I can get the X10's for 100, the 770's for 200, and the momentum's for 140. My budget is 250. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I assume you're referring to the Klipsch X10s and I have a pair.  They are really awesome especially for that price.

***Nevermind I misread, I would go with the Momentum if you can fit your ears in there (small ear cups).

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 20
I own the Sony MDR-x10s. They can be had from many retailers for about $100.  If passive noise reduction and comfort are as important as sound, for the money you can't go wrong.  The memory foam over-ear cushions are so soft and create an ideal fit.  The individual cups can be rotated up/down,left/right. While a bit large and clunky looking, they are the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. They also block out extraneous noise without any electronic wizardry, just the perfect seal you get with these.  I almost returned them feeling that the bass was too strong.  However they really have broken in nicely after several months, and I'm happy enough with them having paid only $99.  
Personally, I prefer to pay the least amount for the most performance.  I'm seeing the Sennheisers for $199, which comes in under your budget.  Based on multiple reviews, I'd go with them over the Sony's any day.  However, the DT-770 are most likely the best sounding cans among these 3 given their pedigree.  If you don't mind going over-budget, go with them.  

Ultimately, I think you get a lot of bang for the buck with the Sony's so long as you don't pay more than $99.  If I were in your situation, I'd get the Sonys, and use the leftover $150 to get a near-audiophile-quality BT headphone such as the Philips SHB9100/28 which I picked up for a sweet $49 (refurb) but in perfect condition.  They can be had for about $129 brand new.

Hope this helps!

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #19 of 20
Just be gentle. Keep in mind the cable isn't removable so you don't want to do anything to damage it (the only flaw on them, IMO). You can wash them with a tiny bit of water, I found, just don't go overboard.

Also, definitely pick up an amp. They absolutely SING when amplified. 

Wich amp do you recomend for the pro 80ohm? I am using a topping nx1... It gets better, tighter but it does not get much fuller sounding....

I bought a pair 30 days ago and i do agree that they are super confortable, spacious sounding and instruments are well separated but i still dont know if the sound sig is my thing.... I was accostumed to using the first over ear momentums, the senn hd25 and the ath m50x and in comparison the dt770 sounds a bit thinner and does not sound as full as the other 3 .... Also in my opinion the m50x has a much more visceral bass. It hits a lot harder and is tighter. Not that the dt770 does not have bass but i see many people saying they are basshead cans when imo they have a bass impact and presence that is between the m50x and the over ear momentums....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back