Sony MDR-X10 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 80 vs Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear)
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Hashirama

New Head-Fier
New member here. I am new to the headphone world. The genre I mainly listen to is Rock (Disturbed, bullet for my valentine, AC DC) but I also occasionally listen to other genres like pop, hip hop, rap, and very rarely dubstep. As the thread title indicates I am looking into the MDR-X10, DT-770 pro 80 Ohm, and Sennheiser Momentum. I have tried them all out but i am not sure which one to get. I will mainly be using this with mobile devices like my phone, tablet, etc. I can get the X10's for 100, the 770's for 200, and the momentum's for 140. My budget is 250. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 20
The DT-770 pro 80 won't sound too great if you're just using them off of a phone. They'll need a little amp to fully wake up. Sennheiser would get my vote.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 20
If I plan to get an amp sometime in the future would the sennheiser's still be better or would it be more beneficial to get the DT-770 pro 80?

My experience with the Momentums is kinda limited, but I currently own a pair of DT-770 pros and they're really gorgeous with even a little Fiio amp. If you're okay with picking one up, I'd absolutely endorse the DT-770's. Plus you'll be hard pressed to find a more comfortable pair.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 20
Do the X10's really fall far behind the Momentum's and the DT-770's in terms of sound and quality?

To me they do. The X10's are VERY bass heavy, and incredibly comfortable, but the highs are all muddy and blurry. I actually haven't met anyone who has anything good to say about those. 

And I guess since I'm the dude with a pair of Beats in his avatar, for me to be saying that the X10's are bass heavy with muddy mids/highs should say something.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for the help. I will be trying the Momentums and DT-770's again tomorrow to see which one I get though I do think the 770's will win. On that note, how do I close a thread?

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 20
Thanks for the help. I will be trying the Momentums and DT-770's again tomorrow to see which one I get though I do think the 770's will win. On that note, how do I close a thread?

Don't close it, man! You gotta reply and let us know what you got, plus those sweet sweet pictures.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 20
So I finally decided to get the DT-770's. The comfort and sound are great even if they don't get that loud from Mobile sources. Overall I can say I am happy about my purchase here are the pics (not exactly sure on how the pictures are supposed to be taken so I hope this is ok).

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for the help everyone :). Any tips on how to care for them? Also, are the velour pads washable?

Just be gentle. Keep in mind the cable isn't removable so you don't want to do anything to damage it (the only flaw on them, IMO). You can wash them with a tiny bit of water, I found, just don't go overboard.

Also, definitely pick up an amp. They absolutely SING when amplified. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back