Sony MDR-V900HD review (don't shoot me for this :p )
May 8, 2008 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
Well guys,

I needed something for studio work and was looking into an IEM. I auditiond the SE530's for a very long time but in dhort found the bass not natural and too ''small'', the highs too harsh and the mids screamy at times.

I came to the conclusion that armatures are just not for me. U guess I'm like Shigzeo in this regard.

So I went to the headphone department at the store were I work and they had a new hp in. The MDR-V900HD from Sony.

At first, the design struck me and I was really tempted by the shiny black earcups.

I'm not a Sony fan at all if it comes to headphones and stuff like that but I was really impressed.

The sound was just right. Everything is there, in the right proportions. Bass is real and full bodied though exactly the right amount. They stay true to the source as in they produce REALLY only what's there. The mids are silky but clear and prominent and the highs are shiny and crystal clear with that ''tinker'' in it but never harsh or painfull.

The best word I could dexribe the whole sound is as one of the best balances I'v ever heard and it also has a great soundstage. Nice and somehow 3D like.

The HP is very light and therefore very comfy to wear. Though the ''fake'' leather earpads make you kinda sweaty though. I like the velour pads of my Ultrasone better..

All in all I'm truly impressed with this headphone and didn't expect this from sony at all after the rubbish V700 series.

They even improved the construction of the phone so it feels sturdier.

I will add some pics later on.....

Hope you guys don't shoot me for this, I know it's no Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, Ultrasone or Audio-Technica but I really do like this thing.

It has something special about it. Almost like Sony didn't design them theirselves.

Typically Sony. They always know to suprise you, Like.no.other
tongue.gif

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 13
When I tried the MDR-7509HD (same as V900HD) I thought it sounded horrible, too middy and weak. I had a pair of the original 7509 (V900) and those were much much better. The HD version is really a step backwards IMHO.

May 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 13
Your review is spot on with my experience with the MDR-V900HDs. These do not add or detract from the music. You get whats there. If there not enough bass then the recording does have that much bass. The highs are crystal clear. These are the first high end headphones I've had so take that for what is worth, but I'm very satisfied with these headphones.

I'd like to try out some kind of amp, but not sure if Its needed since these or only 24 ohm. Any have recommendation?

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi guys, sorry for bumping this thread after a while. I managed to try the V900HD today at a consumer electronics show in Singapore and was pretty impressed with it coming out of the headphone jack of a DAP. I was wondering if anyone has longer term experience i.e. any changes etc with break/burn in? I'm pretty tempted to pull the trigger on these
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 13
well,

They do very good out of my Sony DAP. Imho they don't change very much during break in.

Maybe the highs settle down a bit and the lows get more deep, but that's about it.

greetz

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 13
I just dumped a pair of V400 lately as the cable keep sweating oil for years. To me it is very neutral and balanced, but kind of muddy sounding. Never heard the V800, but would not be surprised if they share the same sound signature, and the V900 should sound more than twice as good.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Tried out V700 today...they are good, Good Highs & Lows.... Midrange is very recessed.....Bass is Punchy but not tight.

they are good for Club DJ's but not good for Music listening.

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These do not add or detract from the music. You get whats there.

These statements are bold and misleading at the same time. They retract from the music quite a lot. Compare to live, unamplified voices and instruments. Imagine a headphone like a screen. You need full color palette to see any possible colors. Say, 24-bit depth gives full potential in this field. These headphones have around 256-colors to show any timbre + mid bass too warm, recessed trebles and echoing midrange (bad dampening of the housing). And they sound simply unpleasant. I was talking about the MDR-7509HD of course.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 13
My posting was in regards to the review of the original poster. Sorry if that was not made clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back