Sony MDR-V6s alternatives?
Sep 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there guys!

So I personally love my Sony MDR-V6, and I've had them for about four years now. I still love the sound of these things and fit and everything, but after four years things are starting to deteriorate. The earpads are pretty much coming unbound and flaking, which isn't a big deal. However, another thing thats happening is the headphones are starting to cut out when the plug is at certain angles, and it's starting to get annoying. I have no real clue how to fix this issue and feel kinda like a puss that I don't want to cut into it and accidentally mess anything up with my favourite headphones.

So I was wondering if I should buy another pair to last me (since they've been discontinued I want to pick up another pair before they become completely unavailable) so I can enjoy my headphones.

However, is there perhaps any other headphones that closely replicate what the MDR-V6 offers? Is there maybe anything else in the MDR-V family that would be like an updated one?

My budget is about 150-200$ shipped, and I don't have anything special to run it.

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 50
So I personally love my Sony MDR-V6, and I've had them for about four years now. I still love the sound of these things and fit and everything, but after four years things are starting to deteriorate. The earpads are pretty much coming unbound and flaking, which isn't a big deal. However, another thing thats happening is the headphones are starting to cut out when the plug is at certain angles, and it's starting to get annoying. I have no real clue how to fix this issue and feel kinda like a puss that I don't want to cut into it and accidentally mess anything up with my favourite headphones. So I was wondering if I should buy another pair to last me (since they've been discontinued I want to pick up another pair before they become completely unavailable) so I can enjoy my headphones.
However, is there perhaps any other headphones that closely replicate what the MDR-V6 offers? Is there maybe anything else in the MDR-V family that would be like an updated one?
My budget is about 150-200$ shipped, and I don't have anything special to run it.

The Sony MDR-7506 is almost exactly like the MDR-V6.
The MDR-7506 might be very slightly brighter?

Beyerdynamic EDT 250/280 ear pads are great for use on the MDR-V6/MDR-7506.

Maybe the Soundmagic HP150?
Never listened to them but hear good things about them.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 50
http://www.amazon.co.uk/607/dp/B009F8WRXG

Someone called xanlamin selling "new" 170 shipped in headfi sales section,
Not sure if available still
http://www.head-fi.org/t/774967/wts-yamaha-hph-mt220-bnib-usd170

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 50
The Soundmagic HP150 is a great upgrade for someone that likes the V6. You get better quality bass/mids/highs. Plus, the bass extension is better giving the HP150s more sub bass.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 50

<Snip>

This ^

I'm actually quite surprised that your earpads lasted for 4 years.  I've seen them start to flake in 6 months.  People in recording and broadcast studios order them by the boxfull, with another box of replacement velour pads, then switch the pads as soon as they open both boxes.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 50

Maybe the Soundmagic HP150?
Never listened to them but hear good things about them.

Ill take a look at the HP150s :) Might you know how different the MDR V6 and the MDR V7506 are? I actually managed to find a pair of 7506s for less money than V6s, but wouldnt want them if they're too different.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 50

This ^

I'm actually quite surprised that your earpads lasted for 4 years.  I've seen them start to flake in 6 months.  People in recording and broadcast studios order them by the boxfull, with another box of replacement velour pads, then switch the pads as soon as they open both boxes.

Its not so much the earpads that are the issue. Its the whole "cutting out" thing :frowning2: I would love to fix it and breath more live into my pair, but again, don't know how to find the issue, what it costs to fix, etc.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 50

Its not so much the earpads that are the issue. Its the whole "cutting out" thing :frowning2: I would love to fix it and breath more live into my pair, but again, don't know how to find the issue, what it costs to fix, etc.

If you aren't up to fixing them yourself, it's not worth it, unless you can get a friend or someone to do it for you for cheap or even free. If you send them out to get fixed, expect to pay at least $50, plus shipping there and back, and the cost of a new cable. Not to mention the wait time, and what if the shop ends up doing a ****ty job? For all that hassle, it's best to just buy a new pair.

The MDR-7506 is the best option if you want a readily available brand new warrantied pair of something that is almost the exact same thing. However I'm pretty sure you can still get V6s on Amazon and other places. 

This could also be a great time for you to discover something you might like even better and has some modern conveniences such as detachable cables.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 50

Ill take a look at the HP150s :) Might you know how different the MDR V6 and the MDR V7506 are? I actually managed to find a pair of 7506s for less money than V6s, but wouldn't want them if they're too different.

The MDR-V6 came out first and was popular, then Sony decided to replace the it with the MDR-7506, guess it's the same design, but different materials.
A lot of people still liked the MDR-V6 better, so Sony started making it again.
Guess the 7506 is a little brighter and the V6 a little more bassy.
I'm sure if you search the web you will find direct comparisons.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 50
  Might you know how different the MDR V6 and the MDR V7506 are?

Myself and others who have owned both posted a few comparisons here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773799/sony-mdr-v6-and-7506-owners-of-both-can-you-hear-a-difference

I would not recommend either, since they sound pretty bad, in my opinion...but I'm spoiled by high-end headphones. ^_^

But basically, if you like the V6 and wouldn't mind more treble and less bass, the 7506 is very similar.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 50

Do you use the headphones for just music or gaming or movies?
What sources do you plug the headphone into?

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 50

Do you use the headphones for just music or gaming or movies?
What sources do you plug the headphone into?

I use them for everything. Music, gaming, movies, etc.

Source? Nothing special. Just my notebook computer and my Nexus 5. I dont have a big amp due to being a student since it'd be inconvenient to have that at school with me every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back