Sony MDR V6 recabling question
Nov 25, 2011 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

928GTS

500+ Head-Fier

The stock cable in my MDR V6's has developed a fault and so it is time to replace them. I have heard that the stock cable for the V6 is 28AWG. I'm thinking of replacing it with either Mogami 2534 or 2552. The 2534 is 24AWG whereas the 2552 is 26AWG. The concern I have is that will the cable be small enough to fit through the hole in the housing of the left driver? Has anyone recabled an MDR V6 and if so which cable did you use?

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 4
i used canare mini starquad to recable my v6's. its a tight fit in the hole, and theres no room for the plastic piece that is by the hole (the one that goes around the cable).

also, if you want to use the strain relief on the inside of the left cup, you will have to strip the cable that goes inside the cup, since it is too thick to wrap around the plastic pieces.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 4
You might consider the Mogami 2893 - same 4/24 awg conductors as the 2534 - but narrower OA diameter. (If you go with the 2552, remember it only has 2 conductors, so you'll need to use the shielding as the ground). 

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 4
I finally got the new jack to work. I was trying to splice in a Radio Shack connector and it just wasn't working with the tiny gauge of wires. I ended up going to RS and getting a gold plated connector with screws on the inside. I flame stripped about 1/4th inch of the shellac on the cables and wrapped them aroudn the posts and screwed them down. After some tweaking to make sure that nothing was touching that wasn't supposed to, I tried them out and they work! They sound better than I remember them sounding, which is probably because I haven't heard them in forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back