Sony MDR-V6 cord chewed through
Jul 9, 2007 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ewakio

New Head-Fier
Thanks to the suggestions in my previous thread from more than two years ago, I decided to buy the Sony MDR-V6s and have enjoyed them thoroughly since then. If I had one complaint, it would probably be that the volume on them isn't as high as I would like which is probably due to the high impedance. Anyways, yesterday my dog chewed through the cord and they have thus stopped working. I desperately attempted to reconnect the wires by wrapping them together, but it was futile and they have ceased to function.

So, I have two questions: 1) Is it at all possible to repair or replace the cord? and 2) with a price ceiling of $150, what would be a good replacement besides the MDR-V6 that has a lower impedance but comparable sound quality?

Thank you in advance, you guys were very helpful the last time I was here.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 17
The eH350 has an impedance of 32 ohms. They are very flatly responsed. The difference between them and the Sony is the annoying V6's highs are gone.

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 17
you could buy the AKG K240S which runs for 100 bucks on amazon and can be powered by almost anything, yet can still benefit from amplification.

i always use the fact that i have something that is broken as a viable reason to upgrade =)

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ICU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also want to consider the Pro version, the MDR-7506:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...7618afeb81.jpg

What's the difference between the normal and pro versions? I read conflicting numbers on the 7506's impedance - one place said it was 63 ohms and another place said it was 24 ohms. I'm leaning towards the MDR-V6/7506 over the AKG K240S because I've read that the AKG has slightly muddy bass and it's also not as portable as the former. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Oh one more thing, the range of the 7506 is smaller compared to the V6 (10-20,000 Hz and 5-30,000 Hz, respectively) - is that any cause for concern?

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 17
yeah, i just got the K240's amazing in comfort, but they dont fold up AT ALL. visit my proline mod thread in a few to read up on my most recent ideas for my newly aquired K240's.

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Only difference between V6 and 7506 is the color of the plug (silver vs gold) and the color on the sides of the ear cups (red vs blue).

V6 is definitely hard to beat for the price. Only other cans I'd think about buying are ATH-AD700 (open, $115) or DT770/80 (closed, $170+)... or perhaps the Accura SR-660 from Big Lots or have someone mail you a pair for $20.

All of those cans mentioned above respond well to amping, so consider picking up a portable amp like MisterX's portable Pimeta... or a Supermicro/Supermini... GoVibe... somethin'.

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 17
... I would put up another post in the DIY forum and see if anyone could help recable that for you for a small fee!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 17
You can re-cable the V6's. I would advice against the 7506's, they were are more shrill & sibilant then my older V6's.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 17
After reading grndslm's thread on re-cabling his headphones, it seems like it requires some electrical know-how (which I don't have) as well as some resources that are hard to come by where I am right now.

The other headphone suggestions (ATH-AD700 and DT770/80) are either out of my price range or 'open' which is not desirable. Thanks for your help everyone; I think I will stick with re-buying the MDR-V6s and may even get the DT-250 pads because they seem to be a major upgrade over the standard ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back