Sony Mdr-V6 competitors
Apr 4, 2006 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AndeeG

New Head-Fier
I've been looking into buying a new pair of headphones for a few weeks. I currently just use some px100s with my ipod, which i really like. Unfortunately, they have very little isolation and are open so other people can hear my music to some extent. I'd like something under 100 dollars and am looking at the v6's and the hd280's. I like the v6's because i've heard that they sound better than the hd280's from an unamplified ipod. They are also more portable and less bulky.

Are there any other headphones in the same price range that would suit my needs? I would prefer circumaural closed headphones because of the isolation, but it's not required. By the way, these will be used mostly with my ipod, but sometimes plugged into a full size amp hooked up to my ipod. I mostly listen to alternative rock.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 14
For one, I liked the MDR-V6s I used to have. They're not the best headphone out there, but the price is pretty fair, they work well with an iPod and they're available all over the place. I like how they fold up, too.

Also, I discovered that plugging them into an amp really helped. Maybe more people here would like them if they tried an amp.

If you're wondering why I don't have them anymore, I gave them to my brother-in-law after I got a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s. He needed better ones for work (he listens all day) and is quite happy with them.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 14
The V6 has some decent isolation, but the highs on it are a little too much for me on some songs. Never tried it for portable use though.

You also might want to look at the AKG K-81DJ. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 14
I'd like to add that comfort is very important. If possible, being able to forget they're on would be a plus, but overall comfort for long periods of time is crucial.

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 14
the mdr-v6 took some time to "break in." mine clamped down on my head first few days, and that was sorta painful b/c i wear glasses. upgrade the pads for better comfort, won't seal as well though depending

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
I've never heard the V6s, but I own the MDR-7506s, which are supposedly very similar. I also own the 280s. I think the 280s are one of the best sounding cans for the money, and probably the best combination of isolation and sound quality that I've ever heard. However, to reach their full potential, they need an extended burn-in time. At least 100 hours, with 200 being even better. I find all Senn cans need to be burned in for a lengthy period of time, and this is especially true for the 280s. I have a 4th gen b&w iPod and I find it drives the 280s fine.

I believe the 7506s are more expensive than the V6s (they're about the same price as the 280s), I really like the build quality on them, and for field recording they are my #1 choice. I've used them for music listening, and my only major complaint with them is that they aren't terribly comfortable. The 280s grip harder, but bother my ears less. Odd, that.
280smile.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 14
The 7506 is a V6 with a gold plug. The V6 is already one of the greatest classic headphones ever made. Apply the Beyer velour cushion upgrade and combine it with a current-driving amp, and you will have world-class sound. They will perform well without either of those, anyway ... just noting that the adds turn them into something truly special.

That said, they're probably not the best choice for portables (read: discrete).

Apr 4, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Personnally I'd go with the Senn HD-25-SP or the AKG K81 DJ. They're both portable sealed cans with good isolation that don't sound too bad w/o an amp.

Edit: Oh, you said circumaural. Maybe try the ATH-A500's then?

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 14
The MDR-7506 is, as tomb mentioned, just the "professional" version of the V6. (read, gold plug
tongue.gif
) Mmk, it's got a better warrantee too.

They are VERY easy to drive from a portable, and to very loud levels too. They will take a beating, with metal enclosures and a very durable, yet folding design. The coiled cord comes out one side which is nice for keeping the cord out of the way most often. Fit is pretty good, but they will get hot after a while, as do most closed cans. I regularly wear them hours at a time at work.

The sound is pretty good, too. Bass is no problem at all, even really low stuff. Mids are a bit pushed forward, not bad, but highs can get to you I suppose. I didn't notice this till becoming accustomed to my Super.Fi's. An amp does help, I think. It's tough to say, because I'm still not 100% satisfied with using an amp, though it makes sense for current-starved phones out of a weak source. You're milage will vary.

All in all i dont think you can go wrong with the MDR-7506. They will last forever, and Beyer pads fit on them for a bit more comfort if needed. This has also got to be the most popular can used in the industry, 75% of the time you see someone wearing headphones in a professional environment on TV of radio it's the MDR-7506's. Don't as me why this is exactly, but it's definitely not a bad can by any measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back