Sony MDR-V6 any good?
May 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious on everyones take on these guys.. Friend is planning on getting a set. Seems like user reviews on most places seem to be good but thats just on retail sites. Any feedback would be great. By the way the person got to audition these and others and really liked the way these fit and sounded for that matter. I have never used so figured I would ask the pro's
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

May 3, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k
Just curious on everyones take on these guys.. Friend is planning on getting a set. Seems like user reviews on most places seem to be good but thats just on retail sites. Any feedback would be great. By the way the person got to audition these and others and really liked the way these fit and sounded for that matter. I have never used so figured I would ask the pro's
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

i've got the 7506s which are the same cans in disguise, lol

good neutral sound, i use them to watch films, they could have more bass though and i don't like wearing them for more than 3 hrs as they get warm under the earpads, it's probably best to do the beyer250 pad mod, which i haven't done yet, rather bought a beyer can!

i'm a bit of a bass head so i've just ordered some dt770s, for electronic music

May 3, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 47
I didn't like them, I believe they go for around $80 new. Right?
I thought they sound like the tone button is on.

Sounded colored, maybe not too bad for the money, but I would spring for the Sennheiser HD580. Comparable in looks, but way better sound and neutral and balanced throughout the frequency range.

My mistake, I was referring to the V600.

May 3, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 47
i've borrowed my friend's pair of v6 headphones and i really enjoyed them. only problem was the pads. due to the age of the headphones, all of the pleather had cracked and peeled off the pads. i told him about the beyer mod and he's going to be getting the pads.

in any case, i had been looking around for sub-$100 cans and i found these to be a good match for what i was looking for. i drove them out of my ipod and my powerbook and they sounded just fine. they sound even better amped from a good source. i would definitely recommend these.

May 3, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by awkwardsterility
i've borrowed my friend's pair of v6 headphones and i really enjoyed them. only problem was the pads. due to the age of the headphones, all of the pleather had cracked and peeled off the pads. i told him about the beyer mod and he's going to be getting the pads.

in any case, i had been looking around for sub-$100 cans and i found these to be a good match for what i was looking for. i drove them out of my ipod and my powerbook and they sounded just fine. they sound even better amped from a good source. i would definitely recommend these.

i can mirror this opinion. i will be using them on the bus and whilst flying, as they isolate really well,

May 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 47
There are tons of posts waiting for you if you search a bit. Those cans (mdr-v6 or mdr-7506) were the closed smallish cans of choice three years ago.

My take on them is that they're easy to drive from most sources, compact, exciting sound but V shaped (boosted highs and boosted mid-bass), very comfortable when you put beyer pads on them, with half decent isolation. In short, they make perfect semi portable cans for rock. The cons are a lack of real low bass and those scratching highs. Pleather pads aren't that great either in warm weather. I had two pairs I ended up selling.

May 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 47
I thought is was a well rounded headphone...good competition for the HD280. just didn't think it sounded as fun or excelled in any particular category. overall, though, it's very neutral, balenced...but not very natural sounding.

May 3, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 47
I thought they were extremely hard to take, and the farthest thing from neutral I can think of. Bloated bass, very fatiguing upper midrange, and shrill highs make for a very annoying sound signature. They should be avoided, in my opinion.

Probably one of the best built and serviceable headphones ever made, though.

May 3, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 47
Main weaknesses mentioned on the forums here: No soundstage, somewhat recessed mids, bright treble

Speaking from personal experience: certain treble frequencies may sound piercing, vocals (especially female) involving "sss" sounds being drawn out could be painful (literally) depending on the volume.

Otherwise, v6s are very nice headphones. I got them for $75 shipped recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back