Sony MDR-V4 cans: seeking full specs and other owners' experiences!
Sep 17, 2016 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GWD72

New Head-Fier
Hello forum followers!

I am a noob here and so currently limited to only posting here.  I have revisited analogue from the days of yore and eventually had to also find decent vintage cans to enjoy them with.  Which brings me here...

I am mostly a fan of Aiwa walkmans (which I restore) and headphones, but have strayed somewhat lately and found some really mint Sony MDR-V4s.

I own a mint pair of Aiwa HP-D9's and have concluded that the V4 are, "in my opinion" on par with them.  Just curious of other's experiences, although since searching here, I am guessing there aren't any, since most threads date back 13 years ago(!) and then only with the mention of "where can I find new pads"?   And yes, loads about V6 and others, but these, while being in the same family, are open case not closed.  Measured impedance: 45 ohm, freq. range 10Hz-25kHz, OFC cable, 104 dB/mW sensitivity.  Overall, not bad specs.

I have one major question which I can at least put out there, even if I doubt I will see the answer!  Do these cans have the CCAW (copper-clad aluminium wire) voice coil?  Looking at SMs I find nothing, BUT, the in the V2 SM, I see they have CCAW coils, and I know the V6 do also (as do most of the others in this family).  I am guessing the V4 also have this, but as I've never listened to a known CCAW set, I can't say.  The V4 are quite bright (not too much though) with forward highs, with great clarity and sound distinction. Mids are right where they should be. The V4's are not bass beasts, BUT, I find with good DSL and BBE (like on a Aiwa HS-PX50 I've restored) they can do bass, no problem.  Same goes for restored PX30, PX10 and PX20.  Even the old fm pocket stereos like Toshiba RP-33, Aiwa CR-03 and Aiwa CR-D10 sound amazing with these cans.

Then, these claim "closed" but are in fact "open", with side vents, and inside, some kind of fibrous (and thin) backing over the vents, and on the diaphragm I see a turbo port!  Hearing now how great these cans sound, I am really shocked why there is so little out there about them.  It seems to be only about the V6 (of 7506) for the most part!

So, anyone, NOT LOOKING FOR V4 PADS 
biggrin.gif
, feel free to drop a line here with your knowledge and listening experiences.  Also, anything about the V5 would also being interesting to me.

Cheers!!

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello @GWD72! Welcome to Head-Fi!

While I don't have access to a MDR-V4 (nice find, by the way!), I would possibly try emailing Sony via their support page: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/contact-email.pl?mdltype_id=46 

They might be able to gather more information for you. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the MDR-V4, and don't have access to one.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.  I will give your link a go, maybe it will be comm in English!  About a week ago, deep into some Japanese threads I found a link to some Sony pages, and found a "contact us" page (google translate is brilliant!).  So, I sent a request directly to some Sony headquarters in Tokyo!  But I am not expecting any response!
popcorn.gif

Maybe this link will be more giving!

Thanks! 
eek.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi Joe,

So I followed the link you sent and put a message in to Sony.  They actually responded within about 2 minutes!  Impressive, BUT, not quite what I'd expected!

So, the Sony people at the other end of that link, are Sony Video and Sound support who essentially tried to push me forward to Parts and Accessories!  They also provided, as the info for specs, a "wild" link I had previously found "http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=212848594" where someone was selling their V4's.
So, I ask Sony for their product's info, and they turn to google!  What has the world come to 
confused.gif

And just for anyone who is in the future interested and clicks the link I supplied, yes, the seller is selling V4's, but please be aware, the specs cited there, are actually those of the V6!  The first give away is that the V4 are 30 mm, not 40 mm, they are 45 ohm, not 63 ohm, and, I already know the freq. range is 10Hz - 25 kHz, whereas that cited (i.e. 5Hz - 30kHz) definitely describes the V6.

So there you have it!  I get the feeling if this is the best Sony can come up with, I must get used to knowing that I will never find out the answers!!
atsmile.gif

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Hmm..
Technical data MDR-V4
Type Super Aural, closed
Driver units 30mm dia, dynamic type
Impedance 45 Ohms at 1kHz.
Sensitivity 103dB/mW
Rated power 0,10 W
Power handling capacity 0,50 W
Frequency response 10-25.000 Hz
Cord 3m (extended length) coiled cord with stereo unimatch plug
Weight Approx. 165 g (without cord)
Info comes from service manual from 1986.

As usual, mine does differ and is over 20 years old. I have a straight cord with gold plated unimatch plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back