Sony MDR-R10
Jun 17, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 32
I have to stop reading these reviews because it's gonna cost me big $$$. Oh well, you only live once.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 32
The manual has a lot of photographs and description of what went into making these headphones. The introduction may be worth quoting:

"The Real Thing Always Defies Description

The real thing doesn't even need an explanation.
It speaks for itself,
and people respond to it,
making it timeless.

The Sony engineers who designed the R10
were determined to create sound
that would last for generations - the real thing.

We discarded conventional ideas in favor of a new sound,
pursuing every detail of the perfect performance
and seeking the best materials all over the world.
It was vital to design a product with a quality of sound
that would render words unnecessary.

We would like to ask all kinds of people
to listen to this "real sound,"
regardless of their various tastes,
from those who do not rate headphone sound quality highly
to those who are even reluctant to wear them.

We asked ourselves what to do.
Here is our answer - another step toward our dream."

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 32
Damn, thats just poetry.

It should include an SACD of several celeberty voices reading that! (especially James Earl Jones - "This... is R10")

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 32
I suspect it will be many many years before there is a dynamic headphone on the market that is superior to the R10s. The R10s came out in '89 and it still stands head and shoulders above everything else.

It was a beautiful one-off, an attempt to test the market to see if people would buy audiophile grade headphones. From what I understand from Hart at AA, Sony was "disappointed" with the sales of the R10. There are probably fewer than 1500 in the whole world and no more will be made.

For true headphone geeks like us, the R10 is IT.

markl

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 32
Here we go... sorry pocketbook..

If one wanted to purchase said headphone how much would it cost and where in the world might one find it?

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 32
So *THESE* were what was in the pulp fiction briefcase... Goodness of humanity my ass! :wink:

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #24 of 32
Hirsch, congratulations and thanks for posting your impressions. I did not know that when I bought your ATH-W100s I was contributing (in a small way) to your acquiring the R10! I suspect that only someone who has listened to many different setups over the years can really appreciate something like the R10--so you're one who can.

--
Calanctus

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #25 of 32
Calanctus,

The W100 was a driving force in my decision to pursue an R10. I liked aspects of both it and the CD3000, but each has some weaknesses that the other doesn't. So, what headphone would combine the detail of the W100 with the PRAT of the CD3000? The W2002 was a possibility, but I finally decided that the R10 was the direction that I wanted to go.

Nezer,

If Audiocubes can't get them anymore, the only chance may be to wait until a current R10 owner needs money more than headphones, unless there are a few sitting in Japanese retail outlets
frown.gif
I will admit that during the early going there was a chance that mine might have been resold, as system issues were not letting the magic through. However, the more I listen to them, the more I appreciate just what they are. I'm just starting to tap into what they can do.

jlo mein,

Yes, it's true.

88Sound,

Initially, I heard only potential, but the sound didn't really reach me. Flawed in many ways, particularly low end. It got frustrating at times, and a lot of wondering if the headphone was worth the money. It took a complete rethinking of how I wanted to tube the Micro-ZOTL to tap into the real magic of these headphones, and my suspicion is that I still haven't brought them to their full potential. The Grace Design amp got me very interested, and I still am. Got to find a dealer who will lend me one for evaluation...

Bootman,

SS is possible, although someone who has heard the R10 with the Sugden thinks the bass issue is still there (although this combo may be the ultimate in transparency). The MOH loaner is a possibility. The Headroom Roadshow will be here tomorrow, and I may try and see what some of the amps there sound like with the R10.

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Here we go... sorry pocketbook..

If one wanted to purchase said headphone how much would it cost and where in the world might one find it?

Actually, there's still one place that's listing them at retail price. You'd better be sitting down before you click on the link...
eek.gif

http://www.theme-gifts.com/sonymdrr1o.html

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #27 of 32
I think, after hearing Hirsch's R-10s tonight, that I have to stand behind everyone else in line and count myself as openly lusting after these phones. Everything just sounded right, like there was nothing missing or glaring or any sense of wanting more of something. Surprising, because I was wary that the R10s were overhyped. Believe the hype! I thought the R-10/EAR HP4 combo bested everything I heard at the HeadRoom show tonight!

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 32
Well, just so this isn't a complete fan-boy rave, I thought I'd post some negative comments.

Dam, that thing is picky (amp).

Alright, that's all I can think of, but that's good enough for me...

...alright, maybe that's just me trying to justify being too cheap to buy a pair.

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
So *THESE* were what was in the pulp fiction briefcase... Goodness of humanity my ass! :wink:

"Goodness of humanity"? Sorry, not to derail this thread, but it was Marsellus' soul.

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
"Goodness of humanity"? Sorry, not to derail this thread, but it was Marsellus' soul.

There are many interpretations of this. I once saw an interview with QT where he said it was the 'goodness of humanity' and watching the movie agiain with tha in-mind the biblical verse takes on a whole new meaning, especially when Jewels was contiplating it at the diner.

After hearing about the glow from this case, seeing what these things cost, and hearing person after person stating how they are actually *worth* that, I now think it was a pair of R10s in that briefcase. Marsellus lent them to Brad while he was on his honeymoon and Brad liked them so much he tried to rip them off.

Hirsch, having a pai in-hand would you agree with this interpretation of Pulp Fiction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back