Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #976 of 1,173
...The R10s always sound best balanced. Of course, amplifier topologies do come into play here.
have you found this to be consistent with set triode amps as well? i used the balanced output
on a 300b ec aficinado(actually the studio jr.) and it sounds thinner in the bass than the 1/4 output.

on a vintage solid state amp i used the speaker terminals (pigtailed) and the bass was superb
even on a bass lite version. i think it has to do with the current more than the voltage swing
of the amps for sony r10s...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #977 of 1,173
These headphones just don't ever get old. Worth every penny. I must say, the HE90 has a different style, but unique magic in the natural tonality and simple ability to just get lost in the music. Most newer TOTLs just don't have this element, even my favorites amongst them. Gems worth hearing or tracking down.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #978 of 1,173
These headphones just don't ever get old. Worth every penny. I must say, the HE90 has a different style, but unique magic in the natural tonality and simple ability to just get lost in the music. Most newer TOTLs just don't have this element, even my favorites amongst them. Gems worth hearing or tracking down.
Not easy to find. I do see some on Ebay but a person should get some new foams from ES Audio IMO.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #979 of 1,173
Not easy to find. I do see some on Ebay but a person should get some new foams from ES Audio IMO.

Regarding the R10? For sure. And with the R10, it's a challenge to understand the condition, as mentioned before.

---------

I would've never heard or bought the R10 if it weren't for an in person audition while picking the HE90 up. I couldn't believe what I was hearing lol. Always knew it was good, but always figured I didn't *have* to have it. Both it and the HE90 are top 3 for me all time.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #980 of 1,173
Regarding the R10? For sure. And with the R10, it's a challenge to understand the condition, as mentioned before.

---------

I would've never heard or bought the R10 if it weren't for an in person audition while picking the HE90 up. I couldn't believe what I was hearing lol. Always knew it was good, but always figured I didn't *have* to have it. Both it and the HE90 are top 3 for me all time.
Well if the drivers are working but it sounds thin and no bass, it would be the foams that need to be replaced. And wow, the O yellow/white foam around the drivers can be such a sticky mess to clean up and the grey foams disintegrate. And the black double sided tape, what fun, to get off. I rolled my thumb over it, over and over, to get it to move and ball up and then I would take some off and keep doing that all the way around. Then I cleaned it up with some alcohol on a rag.

Yes, they transport. They are magic. You would think Sony could do it again, but they haven't. Mine were made in 1989 and now are in excellent condition. I don't think they were ever used very much.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #981 of 1,173
I am glad you guys found love with the R10 eventually. I really have been raving about them for years now. Really happy for u guys. Must thank ES Labs for those foam rings for breathing new life to R10s as well! I sure wish Sony can recreate a better version of the R10. The Z1R is definitely not my cups of tea.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #982 of 1,173
@jamato8 and @number1sixerfan do you guys know which driver number are yours? Mine is #3.

Btw, I’ve heard the R10 with several amps a couple of weeks ago at a local audio show and found them to sound amazing out of the Luxman p750u mk2 (which was the best of the bunch IMO, including Chord Dave)

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #983 of 1,173
I think I'm going to try to find one of these. Is the conventional thought now that driver failure is largely due to recabling jobs? Does anyone know of driver failure in a unit that was not recabled?

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #984 of 1,173
Looking at the cable that comes with the R 10 I would not re-cable them. It’s a single crystal ofc. I did put an adapter on mine by cutting the last 4 inches of the cable so that I can use any type of plug that I want to. I know that people have ruined the driver by trying to take it out and not holding it on the face of the driver because then it pulls the wires. I wouldn’t even chance it and I’ve done a lot of very intricate work. It just isn’t worth it.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #985 of 1,173
Yup, that's why if I buy one I will ensure a recable was never attempted.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #986 of 1,173
I am glad you guys found love with the R10 eventually. I really have been raving about them for years now. Really happy for u guys. Must thank ES Labs for those foam rings for breathing new life to R10s as well! I sure wish Sony can recreate a better version of the R10. The Z1R is definitely not my cups of tea.

I bought my pair from the owner of ES Labs. Foam replaced, pics of the internals and everything, along with replacement foam, pads, headband and cable. A very lucky buy. Just not the pristine pair visibly, but still very much in really good visible condition. I'm grateful I stumbled across the path. And thanks to people like you that kept preaching the good word lol

@jamato8 and @number1sixerfan do you guys know which driver number are yours? Mine is #3.

Btw, I’ve heard the R10 with several amps a couple of weeks ago at a local audio show and found them to sound amazing out of the Luxman p750u mk2 (which was the best of the bunch IMO, including Chord Dave)

I'm sure I can find out, but I'm not sure. It's great to see you enjoying them as well. :)

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #987 of 1,173

---------

have you tried comparing your r10 using the studio b amps 1/4 inch and balanced outputs?
i'm interested in your opinion regarding any differences you may've noticed. (when i owned
the studio jr. 300b amp the balanced output had a thinner sound.)

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #988 of 1,173

Btw, I’ve heard the R10 with several amps a couple of weeks ago at a local audio show and found them to sound amazing out of the Luxman p750u mk2 (which was the best of the bunch IMO, including Chord D

driver 3 in my early pair and no driver number in my 10xx pair

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #989 of 1,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back