Sony MDR-R10 Need Help!!!
Jun 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that's an expensive pair of 'phones. How does it sound? Is it a lot better than the RS-1i, PS1000 or the HD800?

I wouldn't say a lot better, that's in the brains of the listener, just a lot different and unique. Well, haven't listened to the HD800 so far, maybe these sound somewhat similar.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 47
For 'phones the price of a car, they better be really good.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because they're amazing headphones, and he or she can afford them?

Why do you feel the need to comment about that? This is an audio forum.

People forget about individual income. If you make a low 6 figure income annually, 5,800 isn't much at all. And you can't put a price on listening pleasure. The R10 is a statement headphone, innovative design and technical expertise. They do things other headphones cannot, and thus, must pay a premium for them. And a piece of history and bragging rights..)

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 47
Here is my worry for you though. Yes, like everyone else here, those headphones look used to me. The pads look well worn and the corrosion and scratches around the screws look suspect. I too believe that you should've asked these questions before you bid on them but then again, you would've had stiffer competition for them from others on Head-Fi so I understand your reluctance. You bid on them and you won and I believe you made a mistake. I am sorry for that. Here is the #1 problem: The seller said that they are new-old-stock when in fact they are not. You are buying from a seller that is misleading you so imagine what kind of problems might result from this. The headphones could be a sham. I don't agree with others here that you should suck it up and pay. You made a mistake, yes, but you didn't mislead or falsely represent a product. If I were you, I would back out by first contacting the seller and politely tell him the reasons why and if he is unreasonable, contact ebay. The other option is that you could take a chance with your $6000. It is up to you.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 47
Finally, as I'm Thai, I'm so glad someone brought R10 to Thailand.

They are definitely used and from the pictures, but it's not a big deal if it IS the genuine R10. At that price I think it's reasonable unless you find any problems.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 47
Dear all,

I requested more close-up pix from the seller and it'll send to me tomorrow. I'll post some of them here after I got it. If I can prove that this is not NOS pair of R10, I'll cancle this aucion.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 47
I doubt those are really NOS, but if they are and the paint flaked away on its own that way I would have to see what it looks like under the pads where the urethane foam rings are.

Without opening them I would ask for nice pictures of the ear pads and the 1/4in plug to see if there is wear on them. Already I can see wear on the ear pads from the side indicating they were used before. In the NOS pair the pads are smooth like without wrinkle lines.

-Alex-

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #25 of 47
I think you're being too kind to the seller here. If he stated they were NOS and made no representations about the damage that is clearly visible, then you have every right to cancel the auction (and would be crazy not to IMO).

As others have said, the pads are worn. They have been used--well used. I've owned a pair of R10s for at least 5 years and my pads are in better shape than those. Granted, I don't use them every day or even close to every day, but I've taken them to several Head-Fi meets so I'm not the only one who has used them. agile_one had a pair of R10s that are as old as mine and even in better shape than mine, and he too, took them to many Head-Fi meets.

So lie #1 was that they were NOS. Clearly they have been used and you don't need to have close up pics of the headphone plug to confirm this.

Lie #2 relates to the "corrosion" excuse! If they were truly NOS, that means "new old stock" which then means they should be in "new" condition. In other words, they should have been safely stored in appropriate room conditions. If they were exposed to extreme heat or cold or dampness, then even if they had never been used (which clearly they have been), then the damage caused by such neglect would also disqualify them as being NOS.

In other words, you have to hold someone to a "reasonable" standard of the NOS definition and not a purely legal interpretation. Maybe he bought them for his favorite cow, Bessie, and they've been kept in a barn for 15 years. His problem, not yours.

Don't pay. Cancel the auction, send these pics to eBay (they will rule in your favor and no damage will be done to your account or reputation), and move on.

Lie #3 is the "unknown" which I'm guessing would be damage to the drivers from moisture. I just can't understand how "corrosion" could cause the flaking off of paint to a pair of headphones that have never been used. Either a) they have been used (99% chance of that looking at the well worn pads) and thus the damage was caused by banging them against something, or b) the damage that you see (from "corrosion") in an unused pair suggests that there will be further damage to the headphones that you don't see--moisture is not good for drivers.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #28 of 47
Wayne,

Very well said.

Kim,

I'm also Thai and I owned more than two pairs of R10s in the past and still holding on to one of them. Your R10 is certainily not a NOS item and they are well used. For the price you paid they are certainly on an expensive side. Buying an R10 from online auctions instead of a trusty headfi member is always risky as you have no way of knowing what kind of condition they will arrive in and whether they are of bass light or bass heavy variety. You might be better of taking one negative feedback if you are not confident with this purchase. I suggest you demand the seller to send more high resolution pics of the headphone including the case before proceed with the payment. BTW, I have never seen magnesium subjected to corrosion before.

Here's picture of my R10 SN# 358 circa 1989 that bought as NOS item two year ago from a dealer in Norway.

IMG_0371.jpg

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #29 of 47
too funny... that price you could get 2x K1000s, some sigmas and omegas
o2smile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too funny... that price you could get 2x K1000s, some sigmas and omegas
o2smile.gif

Dear,

Thanks for your Comment, by the way, I once already owned K1000, Omega, OmegaII, Lambda, Sigma, L3000, and many more....

since I never have R10 before and this time is the time of R10, so I don't think 6000$ for R10 is funny
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back