Sony MDR-R10 Need Help!!!
Jun 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

peeradonn

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

I'm Kim from Thailand and I just won a Sony R10 Bit on Ebay here

SONY MDR-R10 Headphones Rare Collectors Item - eBay (item 250432628726 end time Jun-06-09 03:08:42 PDT)

This R10 claimed to be NOS and never use before, Only flaw is there is some corrosive near one screw. I never have a chance to own R10 before so I have some questions hope you can help me out.

First, for the price. I won this bit at 7309AU$ ( 5850$), how is this price?
Expensive or not for a NOS pair of R10? How much is for the R10 in the head-fi market board lately?

Second, is there any fake R10? How can I be sure that I'll get the perfect genuine R10? I hear there was a R10 with SA5000 Driver sold In ebay before, how can I avoid this? where to look?

Lastly, since this is a NOS pair of R10 and the owner said that they never been use before, will it be any problem with the driver or anything else?
do I have to be careful with something?

I'll send my mony to the seller sometimes nextweek, in this meanwhile, if there is any comment, I'll be very appreciate.

Please help, I'm counting on you.

Kim

BS1-7DgBGkKGrHgoOKjsEjlLmUU31BKFRhc.jpg

BS1-ecB2kKGrHgoOKjIEjlLmWtGBKFReLcJ.jpg

BS1-JiwBWkKGrHgoOKiMEjlLmVzhzBKFRbr.jpg

BS1-ToQmkKGrHgoOKjoEjlLmErDsBKFRc8f.jpg

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 47
I don't understand how it could be NIB with this kind of damage?

!BS1-ec!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmW!tGBKFReL!cJ!~~_3.JPG

Do you think it could be NIB with that sort of damage?

However you should of asked yourself the questions you posted before you bid on the auction now that you won pay the man.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 47
I can't believe you ask those questions after winning the auction.

To tell the truth, I don't think that's a NOS pair, there are a lot of small scratches. Alex @ APS sold a NOS pair before so you can ask for the pics he put on his website (no longer there) to compare.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 47
The seller said that it was out for Take some photo and That's may be the reason, But this makes is not a scratch or break but it's mor like the color is worn off by some corrosion. I'll be grateful if you can give me more specific comment about R10.

Kim

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 47
Id say there is virtually less than a 5% chance they are NOS. The pads look broken in and some of the issues look much more like use issues than sitting in a box corrosion issues.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 47
Those are definitely used.

One way to check for sure if they've ever been used is to check the 1/4" headphone lpug connector. Check for scratches, particularly tell tale ring like scratches. These would be from them being plugged in and used repeatedly.

-Ed

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 47
How about the price? 5800$ is that too high for a R10?

Kim

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 47
I agree with the other mates that those don't look mint NIB. My bass-lights were used when I got them and don't have that amount of degradation on the yokes around the screws, just some wearing. You don't make those scratches and dings on the wooden cups just for taking them out the case to take pictures. Moreover the leather in the headband and pads seems used too. However price is just OK for the current market. Previous pairs in the last year have been in the USD5500-6000 depending on condition and being bass-light or bass-heavy. Maybe you can clean a bit the corrosion and leaving the metal on those areas without the paint covering it. Just be careful and gentle.

Regarding your other considerations, you can't see the drivers unless you remove the pads (which is a real PITA) which I don't recommend unless you're planning to put a new pair of them. I haven't seen the SA5000 drivers, but I suppose you can find pics out there and compare. There's no way to say which drivers do they have installed without listening to them (and knowing how the R10 sound) or opening them and looking at the drivers closely.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there may have been corrosion on the inside as well which is much worse

definitely!

ask him for macro-photos of the plug, and THEN ask him to test it thoroughly
ksc75smile.gif

and his pix are damn blurry for a $5500 piece of equipment
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 47
About the "corrosion". The main metal parts of the R10 are made of a Magesium alloy. Which does not readily corrode like ferrous metals like steel do. It's likely the paint that's worn away. It's purely a cosmetic condition, so don't worry about it affecting sound quality or it's durability.

The #1 part that will absolutely be no good will be the urethane foam ring inside. It will most definitely be nasty and falling apart inside. Shine a flashlight or other light and look inside the center opening of the earpad.

-Ed

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont know why anyone would pay that much for headphones

Because they're amazing headphones, and he or she can afford them?

Why do you feel the need to comment about that? This is an audio forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back