Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #19 of 2,677
Grills and arms are magnesium, the bales (cup holders) are aluminium.
I am in love with these , just listening to brian jonestown massacre - satanic majesties and the imaging is the best i have heard, its crazy that these are so ignored.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 2,677
As much as some people on head-fi claim they only care about sound you'd expect more. I guess us ma900 fans aren't hyping them up enough, like how the ws99 was hyped (and still is).

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #22 of 2,677
Ma900 is definitely much better than the 1r. It's an improvement in all areas:
Bass
Clarity
Attack/Driver Speed
Timbre
Soundstage
etc.

Not a fair comparison to be honest. Ma900 is in the hd650, dt880, etc league.

Someone took the resistors out of them and said it made them sound even better.

Sony's open flagship.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 2,677
Quote:

Looking forward to your comparison. Both of these are on my radar.

I received the MA900 today and I very impressed with them. Can't say I like it better than the K240 as they have very different presentation, I like them about the same as both sound great with all genres and are both great all-rounders. Initial impressions are that the MA900 is much more neutral and natural sounding than expected. Will do a full review later once the MA900s are fully burned-in and my ears get more used to their sound.

The K240 is a rich, intimate, warm, and musical sounding headphone with a bit of edge in the treble that makes it fun, it's also very transparent and changes greatly from system to system and scales up very well. Soundstage is small compared to the MA900, but it's not congested. The K240 has a very long burn-in time,  it doesn't change drastically, rather quite subtly, it becomes clearer and less congested with a lot of use and becomes good for classical over time.

The MA900 sounds very neutral and natural to my ears, nothing seems to stick out too much and I find the midrange enjoyable and lively. Slightly on the warm side, but just barely. I found it has a lot better soundstage and imaging than the K240. Sounds as natural as the K240 as well. Treble is nice, very smooth, but not Sennheiser smooth(which is a good thing imo). The midrange portrays emotion properly like AKGs do but has a different presentation. I decided to get these instead of a HD 598 or HD 600 because I found the Senns to sound dull, boring, and honestly unnatural due to the Senn midrange, which I do not like. I am very happy with my decision to go with these headphones.

Both are very comfortable and can be worn without discomfort for hours on end, but the MA900 is the clear winner in comfort.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #25 of 2,677
Quote:
I received the MA900 today and I very impressed with them. Can't say I like it better than the K240 as they have very different presentation, I like them about the same as both sound great with all genres and are both great all-rounders. Initial impressions are that the MA900 is much more neutral and natural sounding than expected. Will do a full review later once the MA900s are fully burned-in and my ears get more used to their sound.

The K240 is a rich, intimate, warm, and musical sounding headphone with a bit of edge in the treble that makes it fun, it's also very transparent and changes greatly from system to system and scales up very well. Soundstage is small compared to the MA900, but it's not congested. The K240 has a very long burn-in time,  it doesn't change drastically, rather quite subtly, it becomes clearer and less congested with a lot of use and becomes good for classical over time.

The MA900 sounds very neutral and natural to my ears, nothing seems to stick out too much and I find the midrange enjoyable and lively. Slightly on the warm side, but just barely. I found it has a lot better soundstage and imaging than the K240. Sounds as natural as the K240 as well. Treble is nice, very smooth, but not Sennheiser smooth(which is a good thing imo). The midrange portrays emotion properly like AKGs do but has a different presentation. I decided to get these instead of a HD 598 or HD 600 because I found the Senns to sound dull, boring, and honestly unnatural due to the Senn midrange, which I do not like. I am very happy with my decision to go with these headphones.

Both are very comfortable and can be worn without discomfort for hours on end, but the MA900 is the clear winner in comfort.

Great comparison. Thanks a bunch. k240, ma900, and hd598 are all of interest to me. It sounds like the ma900 might be what I'm after. Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #26 of 2,677
Quote:
Ma900 is definitely much better than the 1r. It's an improvement in all areas:
Bass
Clarity
Attack/Driver Speed
Timbre
Soundstage
etc.

Not a fair comparison to be honest. Ma900 is in the hd650, dt880, etc league.

Someone took the resistors out of them and said it made them sound even better.

Sony's open flagship.

Wow really? the price is higher in MDR-1R, I think i must try this cans, Thank you for your answer :D

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #27 of 2,677
Quote:

Hey kman1211

do you use MA900 with Schiit Magni ? how it affects soundstage? I am using now with ibasso D12 and it changes soundstage (also overall presentation) almost 50% for better...

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #28 of 2,677
Using my aune amp doesnt do too much to improve the sound, bass becomes more detailed , one of the best things about the ma900 is how good they are out of meagre sources, even my phone sounds great!

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 2,677
Quote:
Using my aune amp doesnt do too much to improve the sound, bass becomes more detailed , one of the best things about the ma900 is how good they are out of meagre sources, even my phone sounds great!

I have noticed that using Asus xonar U3 and/or fiio E06 and my onboard, soundstage is shrinking, but with Ibasso D12 it is amazingly wide, otherwise I also noticed more bass detail and somehow easily noticeable ,,open-up''  

However when I listen and do not compare amps or dacs I am perfectly fine with sound character ... Yeah I agree, it sounds fine with almost anything. Thanks to internal resistors which eliminate output impedance matching...

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #30 of 2,677
Quote:
Hey kman1211

do you use MA900 with Schiit Magni ? how it affects soundstage? I am using now with ibasso D12 and it changes soundstage (also overall presentation) almost 50% for better...

Yes, I do. Well I'm not sure, I've just been using the Schiit magni with the MA900, I haven't really tried it without an amp or other sources except briefly. I plan on comparing it amped to unamped later on and on different sources. I will try it on the FiiO E11 as well. I have noticed it is a bit brighter, detailed, clearer, bass is a bit better, and has an overall more competent soundstage and imaging ability on the magni.
Quote:

Great comparison. Thanks a bunch. k240, ma900, and hd598 are all of interest to me. It sounds like the ma900 might be what I'm after. Thanks again.

No problem, I plan on doing a full review later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back