Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,996 of 2,677
Originally Posted by LaCuffia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay I just got the MA900 in today, and wow...light as a feather and it has a really impressive and rich sound.  The bass has nice impact for an open headphone.  I am not saying it's the best headphone I've heard from a technical standpoint but it's a great value at the $225 I paid for them.  It might be harder to justify keeping the K712 I recently bought. 

I agree with you, i've had these for a while and they sound great but I accidentally bent the jack so need to get it fixed and I am really missing these now. The comfort is second to none and I find a lot of other headphones unbearable to wear now.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,997 of 2,677

Well, I haven't posted my project yet...

Using your idea, me and some audio-DIY people have modded my MA900. In a nutshell - there's Siberia headband mod, double recabling, some resistor mods, Beyerdynamic's pads etc...

And this is how it looks like :)

Greets.

Did the pads change the sound at all? Why did you choose to do a double recable as opposed to a removable cable mod?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,998 of 2,677

Well, I haven't posted my project yet...

Using your idea, me and some audio-DIY people have modded my MA900. In a nutshell - there's Siberia headband mod, double recabling, some resistor mods, Beyerdynamic's pads etc...

And this is how it looks like :)

Greets.

Did the pads change the sound at all? Why did you choose to do a double recable as opposed to a removable cable mod?

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #1,999 of 2,677
What do you guys think? should i sell my hd 600 and my bottlehead crack for a ma900 plus an amp to go along with it? Also do the ma 900 scale well with better audio gear like the hd 600's do? Or maybe wait for the ma 1000 if they are ever making it? I do want an upgrade from hd 600 but i can't decide if ma 900 is an upgrade the same or even a down grade.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,000 of 2,677
What do you guys think? should i sell my hd 600 and my bottlehead crack for a ma900 plus an amp to go along with it? Also do the ma 900 scale well with better audio gear like the hd 600's do? Or maybe wait for the ma 1000 if they are ever making it? I do want an upgrade from hd 600 but i can't decide if ma 900 is an upgrade the same or even a down grade.

I sold my HD600 once; won't make that mistake again.

I like the MA900 a lot, but the HD600 even more. I also personally feel that the MA900 doesn't really scale much/at all. It sounds very similar (and quite good) to me regardless of source, and definitely works much better than the HD600 straight out of my phone or Clip+

Still, overall, I'd say going to MA900 would probably be a downgrade for you. I like it a lot as an easier to drive can that does neat things with soundstage, but I wouldn't trade my HD600 for it.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,001 of 2,677
Thanks for the honest reply. So far I have been using headphone out from my motherboard, in some ways its better than the bottlehead crack with my bifrost dac.

I have a new dac coming in, I'll also see if I can make more improvements to my crack.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,002 of 2,677
  So does these require an amp? One thing I noticed against the HD598, is that they take a lot more volume adjustment to get loud. And that's with the amplified front jack on my PC,

I think you just actually crudely measured the output impedance of your computer. The ma900 is supposed to be louder than the hd598, but only if you have low output impedance. High output impedance will reduce volume on low impedance headphones more than higher impedance headphones.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,008 of 2,677

A bit late to reply, but you made a good choice sticking to your HD600's. I own an HD650 and MA900 and prefer the Senns by quite a large margin. The HD650's have a more transparent sound, and better timbre and tone. The MA900s have imaging and soundstage in their favor. 

Also, this is something I am just now noticing since I've experienced higher end gear, the MA900's have a noticeable amount of grain specifically in the midrange. I wasn't bothered much by this before but ever since I got the HD650's, when switching to the MA900's it was very apparent and noticeable.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,009 of 2,677
Good point, I heard the MA900 before and liked it a lot. Well the HD 650/600 are really good at it's mids. I doubt anything at that price point can compete with it at mids.

Well the MA900 seems like a good headphone for casual music, movies games on the computer without having to worry too much about dacs and amps. Maybe I'll just buy the MA900 for a second headphone since I am putting a lot of time on the HD 600.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #2,010 of 2,677
I do think MA900 is a "all rounder no fuss" type of can that's good with everyday use with the comfort and durability to back it up for hours of usage per day for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back