Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,366 of 2,677

better than nad 50 598 and sr80....?

really...?

For soundstage and instrument separation, definitely (haven't heard the 598, but have heard the others). The MA900 is pretty special in how it presents music.

For an excellent all-rounder, that's harder to say. I'd have to listen to the NAD more, but I suspect that it might be my choice out of the ones you listed.

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,367 of 2,677
Didn't compare them directly buy i've had the SR-407 (w/the SRM-323S) for sometime just after I let go of the MA900. Only downgrade was in the comfort dept... like, duh. :wink:  

I am keeping the ma900 for sure. But will let go of my ad700. I have a mdr-v7. Really boring sound but accurate. I just keep it because it's rare.

My ma900 doesn't really need break in. Sounds good right away. Did your 407 break in effect is noticeable?

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,368 of 2,677

Oh wow, I've just invested in an HRT Microstreamer and these MA900s that I've had for just 2 days are quickly becoming favourite out of all my headphones.  There's something in the presentation that none of my other headphones can do!!  Yikes!

better than nad 50 598 and sr80....?

really...?

I need to expand on this.  I'm not saying they are the 'best' of my headphones.  I am a professional musician and I conduct as well as play (trumpet), so my knowledge of music is deep and pretty encyclopaedic.  Given that diverse taste in musical styles, I've never been able to rank my top few cans because (looking positively) each one of them has attributes that the others don't.  Regarding my statement about the MA900, they are giving me an open, dynamic, speedy and alive treble response in a way that I've not been able to get with my other cans, which is addicting.  I am yearning for more presence in the bass to balance that.  This is something I can definitely live with though.

I think more to the point though, EVERYONE SHOULD BUY AN HRT MICROSTREAMER!  I'm 37 years old and have spent a lot of money on sound gear since my teens and I can safely say that even after 2 days, this is probably the most cost effective upgrade I have ever made.  Just last week, I was debating with myself whether to be looking at upgrading and despite my efforts to stop it, my eyes and fingers were groping inexorably towards a pair of HD800s.  I know I can't really afford that and was looking used but then realising that I really don't have suitable amplification for them and would be entering into territory that I'm in all honesty out of depth with.  My reasons for wanting to upgrade are that no one of my headphones is totally satisfying me.  This may always be the case, I understand.  But, in case it's of any use to anyone, I'll expand on that:

PROS AND CONS FOR ME WITH THE FOLLOWING CANS:

HD598:  I love the soundstage, liquid smooth presentation, comfort and ability to really 'relax' late at night and listen.  They are truly great for movies, movie soundtracks, large scale slow orchestral music, chamber music (small group ensembles), smaller group jazz, Pink Floyd style soundscape rock/psychadelic, singer/songwriter acoustic, ambient and downtempo electronic.  However, for more upfront and dynamic music, such as fast rock, metal, death metal, thick, fast and complex orchestral, big band, latin/percussive stuff, they are too polite, slow, lacking in dynamic punch at presence at both frequency extremes.  Despite their beautifully open and warm presentation of the midrange, they are not neutral enough for me - string sections and other midrange 'real' instruments' seem to have a VERY slightly 'boxy' or 'nasal' quality that isn't entirely natural to my ears.  I know what they should sound like too as I'm often sat in the middle of a 50-100 piece symphony orchestra.  That last point about the midrange shouldn't be taken as a major flaw, it's just something that niggles me slightly but I can soon get over it after listening to them for a while.

NAD HP50:  I love their unaffected and natural presentation of everything.  I haven't heard anything sound 'wrong' on these cans ever.  They are truly the best all rounder of my phones and I just wish I didn't look like such a dick wearing them!  The bass is very well balanced and extended and packs a better thump than even my planar HE400s.  There is never even a hint sibilance on anything and I can end up pushing the volume to higher levels because of their total lack of harshness.  They have a certain roll off on the treble, but that makes toal sense to me given that most albums are produced with the expectation of listeners using speakers and not having drivers shoved right up to their ears!  I just don't know how they manage to maintain such an impressive level of detail with the rounding off of that treble - stunning cans and my endgame closed can, thank you NAD!  The issues I have is the very fact they are closed and feel very closed and isolating to me.  Many people want that, but I much prefer open cans and am happy to have noise leak both in and out, just like listening to speakers, hence my immediate love for the MA900.  The have quite a clamp as well, so even on my smallish head, they feel a little claustrophobic, especially when it's hot.  Another thing, like the 598s above, but not to such a degree, is their slight politeness and lack of edge and excitement.  They definitely have more speed and dynamic slam than the 598s and more punch throughout the frequencies, but it's so refined and slightly warm that is just doesn't become aggresive enough for me at times.  A tiny flaw, but one that's quite significant for me with some of the stuff I listen to.  Which leads nicely onto:

HE400:  Now, these cans have the speed and aggressiveness I need.  Unless you've heard planars, you can never understand the difference in presentation.  There is something about the physical 'texture' of sound that the planars do for me that no other headphone I've heard before does. It's hard to explain.  With electronic music, the myraid of clean and synthesised sounds become almost visual textures to me, bubbling, cracking, grating in such a vivd way!  That quality alone is enough for me to keep these cans.  I, like many others, struggled for a long time with buyers remorse after buying these.  They were the most I had ever spent on headphones and my expectations were so high after being dragged in by this forum.  I have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS NOW though. I loved absolutely everything about them except that treble spike, which was unbearable for me and lent an unnatural sheen to nearly everything.  Forum poeple were suggesting EQ, pad mods and all sorts of things to remedy it.  I was skeptical and didn't feel like I should have to do all that to get the best from these cans but I was wrong and after getting the modded jergpads, I was convinced.  I did not expect the change to be that drastic, but it NEARLY cured the ills of this headphone for me.  Now, withe the HRT Microstreamer, I can say that without ANY eq, every ill I had with this phone is gone and I am over the moon with them!

Pros of the HE400 are dynamic slam, speed, ruler flat bass extension and texture, detail and top end sparkle, realism, ability to go LOUD without ever breaking sweat.  Cons however are the recessed midrange, which although there is detail and realism there, you have to listen IN to the midrange to appreciate it, as if it is further away from you.  It doesn't sound tonally wrong, just recessed in the very areas that I think should be upfront.  Although you can get used to it, switching instantly to my NADs for a big. dense orchestral work, I immediately hear the complex and thick tonalities of the 'middle' of the orchestra come full bloom with all the lushness needed.  Lush mids is not the HE400s.  Dynamics, impact, speed and detail are.

Now onto the MA900:  You might not have noticed, but one common denominator running through my issues with the above cans is that of something 'missing' rather than being 'too much'.  Whether that be, as for both the NADs and the 598s, lack of spped and 'aggression' in the treble, or lack of fullness in the midrange for the HE400s.  Ultimately, this shows that they are all more towards the category of either 'darker' or 'slower' sounding headphones.  I didn't engineer these choices, it's just what I've ended up with, most likely in the pursuit of 'neutrality' and lack of hype in my choice of cans.  BUT, the moment I put the MA900s on my head, I was hearing an openness and speed of treble and an exciting and ravishing presence of detail in the top end, something that I have never been able to get out of my present cans (except maybe to some degree the SR80).  I haven't added in depth comparative impressions of my Grados because I haven't listened to them enough in recent weeks to be accurate about that.  But, from memory, it's that very openness and speed in the top end that I love about my grados too, they just do not have anywhere near the soundstage of these MA900s.  In fact, I've had the Grados the longest in my collection and I know that's why I had a hard time adjusting to the 598s at first.  They were just slower, duller and less exciting on first impressions.  I'm glad I persevered though.

I've persevered with a number of cans and proved myself wrong by letting my brain adjust, and very importantly, getting into the headspace of appreciating what a particular headphone CAN do rather than CAN'T do.  That's the logic if you want to be happy in this game and I love having different flavours of headphones to enjoy different things and be appropriate in different settings and set ups.  The MA900s are my 'favourites' at the moment because they are giving me an openness and an in your face detail that my others cans can't deliver at the same speed or intensity.  I'm looking into the music a bit more with these at the moment, or maybe just looking through a different lens.  However I say it, they are so refreshing and, alongside my NADs, SR80s and KSC75, the only headphones that I have loved from immediately hearing them.  Their design and construction really intrigues me too.  I do crave for more bass though and at the moment, I'm listening to my HE400s through the Microstreamer playing Respighi's Pines of Rome and my God, does that vibrate through the air!!  The MA900s do have a bit of shoutiness to the upper mids for me, which has made me knock the volume down a couple of times, but they are a perfect compliment to what I already have and just seem to fill that gap that I was craving!

Back to the Microstreamer - I must say that this device has completely convinced me to forget that upgrade I was considering.  Every single one of my cans has a new lease of life and are more open, alive, rounded, refined and authoritative than I have ever heard them!  The treble spike is gone withe the HE400s.  In fact, they may even sound too dark now!  The bass is more extended and present with my 598s, the whole sound is just popping out of the NADs in a vivid way and the Sonys are the meanest, forceful rock/metal headphones I've heard!

GET AN HRT MICROSTREAMER!!!!!

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #1,369 of 2,677
I have a microstreamer, and first it was quiet impressive, but just couldn't make the "pops and clicks" go away , and it was prone to crashes as well. Bought a Parasound  ZDac, and never had any problems with it, and it sounds even better to me with a more powerful amp built in as well. Of course it cost quiet a bit more then the HRT did.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,370 of 2,677
  I have a microstreamer, and first it was quiet impressive, but just couldn't make the "pops and clicks" go away , and it was prone to crashes as well. Bought a Parasound  ZDac, and never had any problems with it, and it sounds even better to me with a more powerful amp built in as well. Of course it cost quiet a bit more then the HRT did.

That's unfortunate.  I had read other reports of such problems and was a bit apprehensive on this purchase.  But, it has not skipped a beat since I plugged it in and I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,371 of 2,677

That's unfortunate.  I had read other reports of such problems and was a bit apprehensive on this purchase.  But, it has not skipped a beat since I plugged it in and I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

when does the pop and clicks appear if i may ask?

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,372 of 2,677
I had a real 'moment' with these things listening to Mahler's 2nd symphony.  My mind was fully blown.  The great swells of orchestral sound were mesmerising, the brass section articulate, shining and biting.  Even though not in your face, the underpinning lower frequencies of the basses and orchestral percussion such as bass drum and timps underpinned the whole thing with an expansive foundation.  I could sense the latent power vibrating through the whole orchestra.  The whole top end was wide open with many dynamic layers.  It was a revealing and transcendental experience.  The HRT Microstreamer pumped this out.  Staggering is one of the only suitable words I can use to describe it.  What more can I say?  Do I need any better than that?  I don't even think so.  Is the HD800 like this but to the power of 10?  I can't even imagine that.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,373 of 2,677
  I had a real 'moment' with these things listening to Mahler's 2nd symphony.  My mind was fully blown.  The great swells of orchestral sound were mesmerising, the brass section articulate, shining and biting.  Even though not in your face, the underpinning lower frequencies of the basses and orchestral percussion such as bass drum and timps underpinned the whole thing with an expansive foundation.  I could sense the latent power vibrating through the whole orchestra.  The whole top end was wide open with many dynamic layers.  It was a revealing and transcendental experience.  The HRT Microstreamer pumped this out.  Staggering is one of the only suitable words I can use to describe it.  What more can I say?  Do I need any better than that?  I don't even think so.

they dont have hrt microstreamer in asia... how many % does listening to ma900 with and without the microstreamer...?

man i cant wait until my ma900 arrive :D

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,374 of 2,677

I had a real 'moment' with these things listening to Mahler's 2nd symphony.  My mind was fully blown.  The great swells of orchestral sound were mesmerising, the brass section articulate, shining and biting.  Even though not in your face, the underpinning lower frequencies of the basses and orchestral percussion such as bass drum and timps underpinned the whole thing with an expansive foundation.  I could sense the latent power vibrating through the whole orchestra.  The whole top end was wide open with many dynamic layers.  It was a revealing and transcendental experience.  The HRT Microstreamer pumped this out.  Staggering is one of the only suitable words I can use to describe it.  What more can I say?  Do I need any better than that?  I don't even think so.

they dont have hrt microstreamer in asia... how many % does listening to ma900 with and without the microstreamer...?

man i cant wait until my ma900 arrive :D

I haven't done an A/B comparison but I probably don't need to.  I can tell you that, although some might describe the improvements and/or differences to be subtle, it's those very subtle layers of air, space and, tonal accuracy that are the most impressive highlights. Those are the subtle cues that make a recording appear closer to the real thing.  What is not subtle is the improvement in dynamics across the board.  The whole 'scale' of a recording expands both in and out and you are glimpsing inside the sound with a much keener view and are privy to what is really going on in the record.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,376 of 2,677
I came to the conclusion last night that the uniquely off the scale soundstage is due to this:  The headphones are so 'open' that your left ear can literally hear what's coming out of the right channel and vice versa.  Also, that our of your head feeling isnt' an illusion.  when you crank up the volume, the sound leaks right out of the back of the cans and is loud in the room, hence your brain is hearing the outside the headphones sound as well.  This all makes for a very spacious presentation and a vivid stereo image.  It's wonderful.  It has some flaws in tonality but I really don't care. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,377 of 2,677

Is the HD800 like this but to the power of 10?

No, they are pretty similar in that department.

So, what gains would I clearly benefit from the HD800s?  I was considering an upgrade before I bought this HRT Microstreamer and I admit that the HD800s were on my radar.  I've never heard them, but was still considering the prospect of trying them and possibly going for it.  I also got sidetracked into the idea of going to for HD700s as their amping requirements are much easier and they are more fun/involving against the HD800s sheer analytical coldness?

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,378 of 2,677
Better layering, detail, precision, control, extension on both ends. I don't really find them cold, but they are colder than the majority of headphones which are overly warm. HD700s are not very good, don't bother. However, unless you are willing to lay down for a proper amp for HD800s, I wouldn't bother with those either. You can get by with inexpensive amps like the M-Stage, Vali or Valhalla 2, but I'd only do that as a stop gap while saving for a proper amp.

I'm still enjoying the MA900s quite a lot. After the Kansas meet on the 13th I haven't unpacked the 800s, just the 900s.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,379 of 2,677
Better layering, detail, precision, control, extension on both ends. I don't really find them cold, but they are colder than the majority of headphones which are overly warm. HD700s are not very good, don't bother. However, unless you are willing to lay down for a proper amp for HD800s, I wouldn't bother with those either. You can get by with inexpensive amps like the M-Stage, Vali or Valhalla 2, but I'd only do that as a stop gap while saving for a proper amp.

I'm still enjoying the MA900s quite a lot. After the Kansas meet on the 13th I haven't unpacked the 800s, just the 900s.
Thanks for the info. As I said earlier, the HRT Microstreamer has taken things to another level for me and quenched my upgraditis for now! I think I'll need to invest a considerable chunk of money to get a considerable upgrade from my present setup so I'll just enjoy the music for now and forget about the gear (or at least try to!) Happy listening on your Sonys. Just listened to Since I've Been Loving You and everything from Robert Plants astonishing vocal to the squeaky bass drum pedal is alive and kicking!

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,380 of 2,677
amigomatt, how does the MA 900 compare to the HD 598 with instrument presentation? I too can definitely tell the "'boxy' or 'nasal' quality" as you describe with the 598, but I'd go further and call it artificial/fake with some instruments. I'm listening to the 598 as much as possible, but it's still irking me.

Also, I have the Fiio E11 - I don't know what that would compare to the microstreamer sound-quality wise, if at all. It powers all my headphones well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back