Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,156 of 2,677
Discontinued and prices have skyrocketed. For the price they go for, that puts them close to something like the K712 Pro/K702 Anniversary which are considerably better.

The MA900 was stellar at it's under $200 price point. Now... too expensive.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,157 of 2,677
Discontinued and prices have skyrocketed. For the price they go for, that puts them close to something like the K712 Pro/K702 Anniversary which are considerably better.

The MA900 was stellar at it's under $200 price point. Now... too expensive.

and I though discontinued stuff should go cheaper :frowning2: but oh well~ at least those who bought it when its under $200 get better resell value? 

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,159 of 2,677
The prices haven't gone that high. They're still a great deal IMO. You can still find them on eBay for around $200-230ish..

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,160 of 2,677
I'm really dying wanting to try MA900.  I've heard all the hype... now I WANT to feel it!

Is anyone here willing to lend me MDR MA900 for like a week or two? 
I will lend my MDR 7550 in exchange for the same duration above:etysmile:
You guys can check my feedback.

Also, do Sony MDR MA900 owners here also own MDR 7550 / EX800ST iem?

More info on MDR 7550 / EX800ST
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558083/sony-mdr-800st-review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559335/quick-impression-sony-mdr-7550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679045/review-sony-mdr-7550

I'll PM you as well, but if you pay the shipping I could send them out around May 6th for you to try. I spend a lot of time traveling for work and they sadly do not travel with me.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,161 of 2,677
Damn tempting to put up for sale on here and the Canadian site as they must be pretty rare in Canada. I could put the money towards my 400i fund. But I just can't give them up. I would give up my DT990/600 and MadDog before I give up my Sonys.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,162 of 2,677
I just got a pair...

...not bad at all, but not quite as good as the MDR-F1. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,164 of 2,677

Always wondered how those two would compare. Any more specifics?

I've had them for three hours now...and I've been switching back and forth between the two.

In a nutshell, everything about the F1 is just a little better, starting with with build quality and materials used.  The F1 feels more solid, and it gives me the the impression that it will last longer.  The cable is a little thicker and the plug is much heftier.  

The F1 has less mid-bass and more sub-bass.  The highs are a little rolled off on the MA900, compared to the F1, and I can sometimes hear a little sibilance with the newer Sony.   The sound stage is much wider on the F1 (much wider)  --  music sounds more open and realistic.  It really gives you the impression that you are listening to speakers.   Finally, the F1 weighs less and it is more comfortable. 

The MA900 is good, but the F1 is great.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,165 of 2,677

I've had them for three hours now...and I've been switching back and forth between the two.

In a nutshell, everything about the F1 is just a little better, starting with with build quality and materials used.  The F1 feels more solid, and it gives me the the impression that it will last longer.  The cable is a little thicker and the plug is much heftier.  

The F1 has less mid-bass and more sub-bass.  The highs are a little rolled off on the MA900, compared to the F1, and I can sometimes hear a little sibilance with the newer Sony.   The sound stage is much wider on the F1 (much wider)  --  music sounds more open and realistic.  It really gives you the impression that you are listening to speakers.   Finally, the F1 weighs less and it is more comfortable. 

Too bad Sony stopped making them...

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,166 of 2,677
You just got them and are already doing A/B comparisons? As with any and every headphone, you should be giving them undivided attention for the first few days to a WEEK before you start comparing. you haven't given your ears any time to adjust to their sound.

I've heard they don't have the same sound signature at all, which is another reason why A/B comparison is going to be quite lopsided.

But anyways... I've heard the opposite, the MA900 being the more realistic and organic of the two, etc.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,167 of 2,677

I'll have to disagree. 

Another member posted this awhile back and I completely agree with him.

You can argue that MA900 is more technically advanced version of F1, It's more dynamic, cleaner and detailed, no question about it. If you're into modern beat-based music than it will suit you far better.  But for acoustic instrumental and vocal-dominated music i'd say the F1 nails the tonality and aocustic ambiance just somewhat better, despite being slower and with more fuzz/grain in it.

I also found the MA900 a tad more comfortable than the F1. Slightly better ergonomics, but the F1 had better materials.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,168 of 2,677

This may be apples & oranges but how does MA900 sound  actually compare to MDR 7550?

Judging from your impressions it seems that MA900 is like the 7550 in open can form.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,169 of 2,677
You just got them and are already doing A/B comparisons?

Wouldn't you?   LOL

I've heard they don't have the same sound signature at all, which is another reason why A/B comparison is going to be quite lopsided.

It turns out that they don't have the same signature.  I liked the F1 so much that I bought the MA900 just to see if Sony changed things around...and by how much. 

But anyways... I've heard the opposite, the MA900 being the more realistic and organic of the two, etc.

Well, now you've heard yet another opinion.   

The signature of the MA900 reminds me of the HD650, while the F1 is like a K702.  If you like AKG headphones, you will probably think the F1 is more realistic than the MA900.    A basshead will definitely prefer the MA900.

As far as comfort, build quality and sound stage, the F1 is the clear winner here. 

Like I said, both are really good headphones.   The MA900 might be a better choice with pop, rap and electronic music...with jazz and acoustic music, the F1 is the more realistic and organic of the two.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,170 of 2,677

This may be apples & oranges but how does MA900 sound  actually compare to MDR 7550?

Judging from your impressions it seems that MA900 is like the 7550 in open can form.

The 7550's bass falls somewhere in between the MA900 and the F1 -- it has more sub-bass than the MA900 and more mid-bass than the F1.   The highs are more like the MA900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back