Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,051 of 2,677
Omg, heard this for the first time today and it sounds sooooo good on Sony MA900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ezxfiZ8vI

These headphones shine with this kind of stuff.

You can really hear the emotion in the lead singers voice and I swear I can feel the lower guitar notes vibrate in my chest. It's magical. Normally I don't feel music through my chest unless from speakers, but I'm getting it from these headphones.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,053 of 2,677
Has anyone done a detachable cable mod. I have the MA900 on order, but I was wondering how simple/advisable trying this would be?

You should talk to I95North. He has done a detachable cable mod on his and posted pics on page 25 of this thread. He also has another pic on page 30 where he made some alterations and it looks sweet. Definitely a cool re-cabling job.

MattTCG had his sent in to someone to be re-cabled and has a picture of the finished product on page 32 of this thread.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,054 of 2,677
Thanks a million for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

I95North's mod looks great. With any luck, he'll be able to point me in the right direction. I only need the cable replaced with a single 3.5mm mount jack, as I plan to pair the MA900 with a V-Moda mic for single-cable gaming. Truncating the cables (like in the second mod) isn't an option because the mic depends on the rigidity of the frame to maintain its position.

Given the popularity of the MA900, I was surprised that there were almost no disassembly pics online. A photo of how the cable entered the cup, and what was going on around it, would have been really helpful. Probably means modding is not that simple.

I did look into modding services, but I'm in the UK, and didn't have much luck.

Anyway, thanks again for the help :D

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,055 of 2,677
I tried the resistor mod today, but the headphones went silent. I am traveling so have no test tools or equipment but will next week. 

Not quite sure what went wrong; just cut the 220 trace, and moved the "+" and "-" wires to their respective voice coil leads. 

Is Sony using some type of Litz wire that requires special prep?

Any other thoughts?

In the mean time I use a spare set of new MA900s; they appear and sound identical although the new pads are not flattened from wear.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,056 of 2,677
Thanks a million for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

I95North's mod looks great. With any luck, he'll be able to point me in the right direction. I only need the cable replaced with a single 3.5mm mount jack, as I plan to pair the MA900 with a V-Moda mic for single-cable gaming. Truncating the cables (like in the second mod) isn't an option because the mic depends on the rigidity of the frame to maintain its position.

Given the popularity of the MA900, I was surprised that there were almost no disassembly pics online. A photo of how the cable entered the cup, and what was going on around it, would have been really helpful. Probably means modding is not that simple.

I did look into modding services, but I'm in the UK, and didn't have much luck.

Anyway, thanks again for the help
biggrin.gif
~~~~my cable is not detachable I just did a recable to shorten the wire and to try to get some more refinement out of it... I'm also sure that you could find someone in the uk there to do the 3.5mm mod you want just post in the classifieds for it...

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,057 of 2,677

Had an idea so I used what I had  on hand to enjoy my Ma-900's fitment a thousand times more.

Yeah its my over three years old Siberia V2 headset that I sacrificed for a worthy cause.

I know a black headset would have looked nicer but oh well I used what I had when the idea came about and besides I did not have to spend more money this mod..

A dremel, some scotch tape and plastic epoxy and now I have a very snug and comfortable  headset that does
not keep sliding around my on my head..

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,059 of 2,677
Holy cow... I want that. The Siberia is the most comfortabke headphone I've ever worn in terms of headband and suspesion design. Seriously. Nothing comes close. That, paired with the MA900? Wow.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,063 of 2,677
  Can anyone do a comparison between the MA900 and the Q701 / DT880 / DT990 / Fidelio X1 / HD598? Will be used with a Soundblaster Z and, maybe if needed, a Schiit Magni. Rock and hard rock are my musical preferences and I do play competitive FPS.

I have a comparison of it against the DT880 here: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686083/sony-mdr-ma900-full-review-comparison-with-dt880#post_9900879

Users who are viewing this thread

Back