Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #902 of 2,677
  Musicality is what I want :) I don't know why someone would want headphones that are not musical unless they are like mastering or mixing or something.

I feel the same way, I choose my headphones and gear based on musicality and how organic they sound. The MA900 was among one of the most musical and organic headphones I heard in it's price range. It's not quite AKG level musicality to me but it comes close. Match the MA900 with tubes and you have one really enjoyable listening experience.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #903 of 2,677
Mad Lust Envy,Indeed i agree,ihave a modded (no resistor) and a stock(loaner from a friend) it does sound different on the microstreamer which presents a very low impedance to the hp.Not saying isbetter but different.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #907 of 2,677
Musical isn't a hard term to understand. Some headphones can sound flat, dull, sterile. Others...don't.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #908 of 2,677
  Well my pair of Ma900 was estimated to arrive today on Amazon and they never showed up. That doesn't worry me too much however the tracking thing is worrying me. For everything I have ever ordered on Amazon they constantly update where my package is. For my headphones they have not given me any updates, it has just been stuck on "UPS is processing order" for 3 days now. I hope they come soon or else I will just ask for a refund and order from a different seller.

Btw I did use Amazon Prime free 2-day shipping, that is why I am slightly impatient because I expected it to be here in 2 business days but instead UPS has been processing it for the last 3 days.

UPS has issued a bulletin stating that the weather has delayed things.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #909 of 2,677
Musical isn't a hard term to understand. Some headphones can sound flat, dull, sterile. Others...don't.

I think that both "musical" and "transparent" are terms that don't mean very much, because they are the idealized end points for ALL audio systems.

If an audio product is flat, dull and sterile then it is simply a fail.

The problem with "musical" and "transparent" is that the MA-900 and the Mad Dogs are both headphones that have excellent qualities and yet they sound entirely different, because they have different strong points.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #910 of 2,677
The AD700 is flat, and sterile... yet it's not a fail. Not many would ever consider it to be musical.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #911 of 2,677
Bough them yesterday on a local sale for around 160 $. They seem very even so far. Everything said about the comfort is true, what was said about the flimsiness is also true, there is even some squeaking when rotating the cups (what I hope to fix with a drop of high viscosity silicone). I believe I have read or heard somewhere that they are metal? to me, only the bar inside feels metal. Is the outside just plastic?

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #913 of 2,677
Its mostly metal. From the hinges, to the arms of the headband, to the back of the ear cups. Some of the ear cup is plastic though.

Thanks. Judging by the touch (if it is cool or not) I can tell that everything is metal except the sides of the top of the headband and sides of the ear cup yeah.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #914 of 2,677
Hot damn, just listened to my J-Rock and K-Pop go tos on these things. After not listening to them for a while (1 whole...day!), I'm re-impressed.

Songs:
FLOW: Won't You Stay- I just love the MA900 for FLOW which is a J-Rock band. Warm vocals are essential!

UVERworld: The OVER : Great recording, similar to Flow, but with more vocalizing.

PSY: It's Art: I swear this song made me get up and start dancing and cry (ok not really) at the same time. The beauty of this song is magnified.

One OK Rock: The Beginning, and All Mine: Wow... Just wow.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #915 of 2,677
Just played around with dolby headphone with different games and I stand corrected.It works!! The thing is Last of US is just a different beast and I was basing my conclusion largely on that games sound. I loaded up a bot game in cod, free for all, and blocked out the minimap(didnt look at it) and started locating gunshot sounds and killing the bots using the sound alone. Here is my observation:

On stereo: I can still locate enemies, but only when they are left or right. To be more precise if they are either front left back left, or front right back right. The MA900 soundfield is just unreal naturally.In cod, with stereo the front and back audio cues are confusing.I cant tell if the source is in front or back,unless if I listen carefully as the back cues hv noticeably muffled and have less treble.

On DH: I can pretty much pinpoint any sound. it took some getting used to, I had to sort of focus and forget that I was wearing heapdhones and let the soundstage sort of sink in and envelop me.Then it worked wonders. I was just laying the smackdown on them bots :p from left right and center. With dolby headphone you dont have to focus as much and it lets your sort of use your hearing naturally.

I love my ma900s.. :D  Still regret buyin those darn axpros few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back