Sony MDR MA900 Full Review + Comparison with DT880
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 26
I been using this one for a year now. Yes they are good. But now for some reason I am looking at lcd3, hd800, and stax. If I spend 2000 bucks is it over 10 times better then the ma900? Got mine for 140 new.there is a place called headphone bar maybe I should go have a listening session first. Right now I can't even tell the difference between stock xonar stx and o2+odac.

To be honest I doubt the difference will be that big. The only one who could decide if the price jump is worth it is you. So I suggest going into a store and trying out every headphone for yourself. Don't take advice about hi-end headphones from here as things get very subjective and it's all a matter of preference.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 26
Excellent thread, very useful.

I also own DT880 and what you say about them in terms of weaknesses and strengths is very true. I like that you recognize lack of midbass hump is a different approach; it does not mean headphone has no bass or doesn't 'full sounding'. If you know these things and can evaluate accordingly you are reliable reviewer in my eyes.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #19 of 26
  Thanks for the comparison! You just made my decision a lot easier:wink:

No problem, good luck! So which one are you getting?

Excellent thread, very useful.

I also own DT880 and what you say about them in terms of weaknesses and strengths is very true. I like that you recognize lack of midbass hump is a different approach; it does not mean headphone has no bass or doesn't 'full sounding'. If you know these things and can evaluate accordingly you are reliable reviewer in my eyes.

Thanks for the kind words. The DT880's are still my favorite cans for nearly 2 years now ever since i got them. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 26
what dt880 do you use? is it teh 250 ohm? what amp do you drive it with?

chheerss...

ps: my ma900 finally arrive from customs, yeayy

Yes, it is the 250ohm version. I am driving it with an Aune T1..
MA900 is a great headphone, i hope you like them.

Picked up the DT880's.  Specifically for movie watching/listening/editing.  So far so good:D

Glad you like them!

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #23 of 26
got my dt880 also.

so that thing that exist on ma-900 bass and more prominent but not prominent on dt880 is midbass hump. thanks for the review mate!

i have an illustration of what it means by midbass hump now... (at least a bit). and yes, the dt880 has better bass.

considering im getting my dt880 at $400, the ma-900 is not that far behind though, i like both similarly. consider that ma-900 is $150. that's amazing. lol

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 26
  got my dt880 also.

so that thing that exist on ma-900 bass and more prominent but not prominent on dt880 is midbass hump. thanks for the review mate!

i have an illustration of what it means by midbass hump now... (at least a bit). and yes, the dt880 has better bass.

considering im getting my dt880 at $400, the ma-900 is not that far behind though, i like both similarly. consider that ma-900 is $150. that's amazing. lol

Good to see that you're liking them. I think the DT880's will become more impressive the more you listen to them. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #26 of 26

what will tube amp do to dt880?

will it bring the mids more forward?

a tube amp will generally take the edge out of the highs (just a bit), and give the midrange a bit more warmth and presence. It won't completely alter a headphone's sound signature, but you sure will notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back