Sony MDR F1 owners unite!
Jan 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #76 of 95
You mean stable by?
The thin Headband works well in my experience, it perfectly conform the shape of my head, making broader point of contact, and as the headphone is light enough it doesn't fall over even on 90 degree angle.
Won't deny that F1's design is more striking though, I do own a K702 after all.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #77 of 95
I have some and I love them. I don't know exactly how much they cost (they were a present), but if it was around $300ish then I think they were an amazing bargain. Great detail and instrument separation, and that lovely airy sound that the best open headphones have. And, yes, totally comfortable.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #78 of 95
Yeah, I think the F1 was priced around that when it was announced. I heard some stock is still being sold in Amazon even. Dunno whether its still new/ used though. It's an antique headphone that's a bit hard to find original parts nowadays.

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #79 of 95
mIOeZiEh.jpg

So first track I listened to, I reached to turn down my computer volume.. except the sound wasn't coming from the computer!

A bit too early to tell (as my 800 is on loan), but the soundstage is in fact more accurate than the 800. One of the reasons, is you almost get a pseudo speaker stereo image, as the baffles on the back let out so much sound, you can hear it with the opposing ear - just like a speaker. Also, sound wraps around your head, which also is a psychoacoustic phenomena that you experience regularly.

Since stereo fields on recordings are mixed mostly using speakers, aside from applying crossfeed and DSP, the majority of headphones have this issue of improper stereo positioning. With most headphones, your left-right channels sound hard panned - there is no real 'centre'.

With the MDR-F1 I can say, it is close to sounding like a pair of near-field monitors.

Technically, I'd put this at about HD600 levels, maybe a bit below. It's a bit grainy and diffused, but the tuning is beautiful. High-frequency extension has brilliance but not as clear as something like HD800.

Quite impressive for its time, and it still pulls a few tricks even now.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #80 of 95
mIOeZiEh.jpg

With the MDR-F1 I can say, it is close to sounding like a pair of near-field monitors.

Technically, I'd put this at about HD600 levels, maybe a bit below. It's a bit grainy and diffused, but the tuning is beautiful. High-frequency extension has brilliance but not as clear as something like HD800.

Quite impressive for its time, and it still pulls a few tricks even now.

This!!!

Are any F1 owners still around? My MDR-F1 is still going strong. It is not my main headphone - I take it out once in a while and enjoy the crap out of it and then put it away for safe keeping. If I had to get rid of all my cans, the F1 would be the last one I wold let go.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #82 of 95
I only get mine out for classical music listening which is few and far between. I still love the sound!

Yeah, they are great for classical...but for mostly anything else they need a bass boost. When bass is increased they turn into some of the best headphones ever made. It's almost like listening to speakers.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #83 of 95
Yeah, they are great for classical...but for mostly anything else they need a bass boost. When bass is increased they turn into some of the best headphones ever made. It's almost like listening to speakers.

Definitely not my main headphone either, that would be the Utopia.

Still stand by my post. They have a very good mid-range, but there isn't much in terms of sub-bass. But I have a SubPac to take care of bass. It is a very unique headphone but can be very organic and inoffensive.

I may let them go, as my main jam is the Utopia. Also have a set of HD540, also incredible, but I'd be happy letting them go to new owners.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #84 of 95
Definitely not my main headphone either, that would be the Utopia.

Every time I take them out for a spin (I did so yesterday) I end up thinking, "why is F1 not my main headphone?". Perhaps I don't want to wear it out since it is such a unique headphone.

When I flip the xBass switch of my iCan I get all the sub-bass I need.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #85 of 95
I'd still keep the Sony around simply from how much more comfortable it is compared to any flagships

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #86 of 95
Hi there fellow F1 owners,

My pads are worn out. Can you show me the direction of a new one or a replacement?
I saw one is sold in 2012 :D, nothing else comes up.
It is old but it is a gem.

thanks

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #87 of 95
Mar 6, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #88 of 95
So I am the happy owner of two F1s now, I got a brand new one a year and a half ago from Japan which was made in Thailand (at a pretty steep price of $515 but I generally try to avoid getting used headphones if I can help it), and now I just got one that was made in Japan but had the drivers replaced with CD1000 drivers. The "F1000" definitely has a better sound all up, just better clarity and nicer extension in the treble. I loved the design and ideas of the F1, but it did sound muffled and grainy, so this is amazing. Still pretty light on bass, but should be the perfect computer phone.

Since my original pair is mine from the start and the pads are in great condition, I want to swap the pads to the "F1000" I will now be using. For replacing the pads, can I just pull them out, or is the process more involved (don't want to screw anything up)?

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #89 of 95
So I am the happy owner of two F1s now, I got a brand new one a year and a half ago from Japan which was made in Thailand (at a pretty steep price of $515 but I generally try to avoid getting used headphones if I can help it), and now I just got one that was made in Japan but had the drivers replaced with CD1000 drivers. The "F1000" definitely has a better sound all up, just better clarity and nicer extension in the treble. I loved the design and ideas of the F1, but it did sound muffled and grainy, so this is amazing. Still pretty light on bass, but should be the perfect computer phone.

Since my original pair is mine from the start and the pads are in great condition, I want to swap the pads to the "F1000" I will now be using. For replacing the pads, can I just pull them out, or is the process more involved (don't want to screw anything up)?

you got some biocellies in there? I seen one with em once, wonder'n if you bought them?

Anyway pad swap is a breeze. I put some dekoni fenestrated sheeps.

Very comfy, but i would love a biocelly transplant thats for sure :D

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #90 of 95
yup I got the one listed by @MDR30

Biocellulose SONY is my favorite sound for sure. Nothing puts it all together like the CD3000 for me with the midrange and space and echoey sound I would take it over any phone I have listened to so far (even STAX and the R10 though I think mine is bass light and maybe the bass heavy would be the one for me)

got the pads swapped (and also switched out the headband too) thanks!

anyone who wants to get on the F1 tip hit me up (for my normal one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back