Sony MDR F1 owners unite!
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #47 of 95
Found some pics that were maybe posted in other threads - look'em up, removal of the resistor network is worthwhile.

Here you see the three screws:

Driver assembly to the right - the soft plastic rim holds the cloth in place at the back of the driver (locked in place by the screws). Just to pull off when dismantled:

Driver assembly without cloth:

Pads had that special, comfortable and durable material (alcantara I think). Ear pads used to be available from Audiocubes.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #51 of 95
I havn't done it personally but FWIR here it says: "I removed the driver housing and took off the silver coat around the inside of the housing facing the ears. It just peels off easy with rubber tension around the lips."

Hope it helps.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #52 of 95
  Found some pics that were maybe posted in other threads - look'em up, removal of the resistor network is worthwhile.

Here you see the three screws:

Driver assembly to the right - the soft plastic rim holds the cloth in place at the back of the driver (locked in place by the screws). Just to pull off when dismantled:

Driver assembly without cloth:

Pads had that special, comfortable and durable material (alcantara I think). Ear pads used to be available from Audiocubes.

Thank you for posting this.

I'm just about to get a pair. Can you point out to the actual resistor in the photos? I'm not very experienced with electronics and I'm not sure what to look for if I decide to try it / ask a friend to.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #55 of 95
May 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #57 of 95
So, these look interesting... I know I'm late to the party. From what I've read - okay sound quality, unbeatable comfort - and they even look okay (to me, at least.)

I'd want to run them balanced, since all I have for amplification is a modest Mjolnir. From the pics in #47, it looks easy-ish to get at the cable and get it done.

How do they compare in sound to my Beyerdynamic T1?

I see that there's a few sellers on amazon, and one or two on ebay that still sell these new. Should I be worried about fakes?

May 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #58 of 95
  So, these look interesting... I know I'm late to the party. From what I've read - GREAT sound quality, unbeatable comfort - and they even look okay (to me, at least.)

Fixed.

How do they compare in sound to my Beyerdynamic T1?

The F1 has a wider soundstage.  The T1 has more bass.   The Beyerdynamic is the better headphone, but the sound of the F1 is really unique -- the soundstage is even bigger than that of the HD800.

I see that there's a few sellers on amazon, and one or two on ebay that still sell these new. Should I be worried about fakes?

I looked at some of the  listing on ebay.  There is a seller from Japan with tons of feedback.  I would would rather buy from that seller than from someone with little or no feedback. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 95
I can count myself as an owner of these bad boys after 10 year or so of putting it off, and finally fulfilling that promise to myself that I made all those years ago.  A brand spanking new pair as well.  

Sounds pretty darn fantastic out of a modest amp (Presonus HP4-it was free, and never look a free amp in the mouth, so to speak).  Sounds pretty damn fantastic out of the HP4.  It's one of those headphones that sounds... "just right" for the lack of better words.  Soundstage is honking wide, wider than the MDR-MA900s.  It has a bite more of treble compared to the MA900s, and by golly, it makes the F1s...  

I'm not going to bother with the resistor mod either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back