Sony MDR-EX90LP vs. V-Moda Vibe?
Dec 26, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 18
the first gen vibes are pretty good, but the current gen is trash.
i had a pair of first gen that broke(they are really fragile)and my replacement pair sounds so bad it gives me nightmares!

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the first gen vibes are pretty good, but the current gen is trash.
i had a pair of first gen that broke(they are really fragile)and my replacement pair sounds so bad it gives me nightmares!

That alone says to (for durability issues alone let alone great after-burn-in SQ) says to get the EX90s, they are made of aluminum (like most other high-end IEM/phones) rather than plastic like the Vibes are. Also, each pair of the EX90s go through a rigorous testing process before being packaged and put on the market.

Please note that if you have a remote controlled unit (like mine) it is best to get the Japan-only EX90SLs (available through Audio Cubes) with the 0.5m cord and 1.0m extension if you wish, they (SL @ 0.5m, and LP @ 1.2m) are both the same units and in case you dont own a remote-based unit the LP version will suit fine.

My EX90SLs sound great with my MZ-NH700 and go great with the RM-MC40ELK remote, and are so discreet, after all, looks don't mean anything without the SQ (better after burn-in) to back it up, and that is where the EX90s stand out the most.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 18
Just to jump in here with my own opinion...
I too have listened to the Vibes, and I own the EX90's, the SL version from Japan (from Audiocubes). I love the fact that the EX90 extension can be removed for my remote. The cord is good quality too, a slick rubberish material, not the "sticky" rubber of so many other cords.
I've modded my EX90's, but even without modding they sound better than the Vibes. The ONLY thing the Vibes have over the EX90s is better isolation, they block out more noise, if that is what you're looking for.
Then again, the EX90s are not supposed to block out much noise, it's not the intention of the design.
The vibes only sound good if you like "muddy" bass, IMO. Coming straight from the standard IPod stock buds, the vibes do sound better. But they still can't touch the SQ of the EX90s, especially after a good burn-in.

But some folks dont much care for the EX90's fit. Personally, I love it, it's my most comfortable set, and I own several types of earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back