Sony MDR-EX71SL
Apr 25, 2004 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DRuM

500+ Head-Fier
I've just this afternoon replaced my old sony earphones, ( used with my old sony cd walkman) , with the sony ex71SL's. Well, they're ok, and an improvement over my previous ones, and I can push them further in to get more bass. My walkman has 2 bass boost settings, but I've never understood why since sony don't seem to have any earbuds that can handle the 2nd setting. I can get away with the volume on 8 on bass-boost setting 2, and the next notch up( maximum) it clips. They'll do the job, and the overall sound is nice, though after listening to my 580's, they sound hollow and tinny by comparison. What earphones handle bass and volume on maximum volume(which isn't that loud anyway),without breaking a sweat? Etys?

Apr 25, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 21
god, the ex71 have tons of tons of bass already, i don't ever see why you need bass boost for that thing. also max volume with a canalphone would really do damage to your hearing. i never did like the ex71 anymore than my free stock earbuds.

apparently, the ex71 have flat and bloated bass. i think you are trying to look for a different kind of bass.

edit: i just tried my e2c with my iriver with U-bass (max bass). oh my god!
basshead.gif

way too much bass, bass have lots of impact, but constricted the sound stage. no clipping at volume 20/40. i will never go max volume sorry, my eardrums will shattered.

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 21
terrymx,
Well, I've been listening to them for about 45 minutes now, and getting used to them. I've taken all bass boost off, and they sound nice, but bass light. I wouldn't say they have tons of bass though. Actually, bass boost setting 1 is good. This walkman doesn't seem to go loud enough to do ear damage. I listen louder through my 580's. But anyway, these are sounding nice now. You're right about soundstage being sacrficed for extra bass
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I shouldn't have posted anything just yet, since I'm doing my usual back and forth 'I love em, I hate em, I love em, I'm not sure, I love em.' etc. I will give it more time and post again.

Apr 25, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 21
I don't want to sound patronising, so please don't take it that way, but are you sure you've got the seal right? It's just that, with the seal correct, the EX71s are pretty much nothing but bass.
If you're sure about the seal and you're experienced in the canalphone field, then I apologise, but it's always worth mentioning, especially if someone's new to the canalphone range. They all sound terrible without a seal

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Ah no doctorjuggles, the seals are fine.
Ok, here's my final verdict. Is it going to be good or bad?
biggrin.gif

I'm pleased to say that after a few hours of listening, I think they are amazing. Which is why I was stupid for posting 5 minutes after hearing them. Well,you know what it's like. You buy new phones and want to immediately share the news with head-fi, haha.
I just listened to a live dave weckl CD, and it sounded incredible. There's absolutely tons of detail, I can hear every minute thing. On that CD, on full volume,( just testing it), there was no distortion, except towards the end of a tune when the whole band was rocking. And even then, I tested it with full bass boost. To be honest, the fullness comes through for me on full bass boost. The attack of the drums sounded right. With no bass boost, it sounded fine, but I felt presence was missing on things like cymbals. And just a general lack of excitement and some hollowness. Some here would think the treble on full boost was too much, but I'm definitely a treble head anyway, so I love that.
I tested a dance music CD, just 4 to the floor house beats. That, on full volume and bass boost 1, also sounded great, nice and bassy, and no discernable distortion, although I could tell it was there on some tracks, but nothing bad.
My other CD's I tried, mainly soul/funk male and female vocal stuff, couldn't handle full volume, and only barely with no boost at all.

So, I'm happy with these earphones. But I'm still interested to know if there are other in ear phones that sound as good as these, but which are more powerful, and wouldn't distort at full volume. For most things I heard, in my opinion, full volume wasn't ridiculously loud. I know it's not the audiophile way, but if I could, I'd listen to everything with boost on, it just sounds better to me.

Off topic for a moment, an interesting thing comes from this in relation the sound of the 580's. I've always thought that piano and guitar sound a bit woolly on the 580's. When I heard piano just now with full bass boost on the EX71's, there was clarity! Clarity to the attack of each key that represents to me what a piano really sounds like. This makes me want to try the CD3000 even more from what I've been hearing about the treble extension they have.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 21
For the money, I love my EX71's as well. I actually prefer them over my KSC35's. For portable equipment, unamped, and if you like it fairly loud, I find the EX71's to provide the fullest sound. Great bass, acceptable mid and highs. What was with the EX70's?? I couldn't have returned those fast enough. Pure junk IMHO.
By the way...that Dave Weckl cd kicks major butt!
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Wait, did you just say volume 8 on a Sony Discman? What model is this? And are you sure you don't have any hearing problems? I usually go 2 to 2.5 and 4's really loud for me.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 21
Using my amazing powers of deductive reasoning, I am going to guess that you are a drummer. I would really suggest getting some good earplugs for when you play, based on your listening volume levels, I think you might be already going a little deaf.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your hearing "adjusts" to louder levels so that it will end up sounding the same as lower volumes over a period of time. It is best to start out quieter, let your hearing adjust, and then maybe bump the volume a bit to get the best sound. It will end up sounding basically the same after a couple of minutes of listening, except you won't be decimating your eardrums.

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Haha, maybe I am going deaf. I shouldn't laugh though
biggrin.gif

I dunno, you think 4 is loud? No way, I ain't that deaf, and 4 is definitely nowhere near loud. 4 is really quiet. This is the model walkman:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48679

I do agree with raif though about me getting earplugs for playing. I think ety do some don't they, that cuts the volume by about 20dB?

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 21
In my personal experience the MDR-EX71's are harder to drive
on portable players, and I find myself also turing up the volume
more than usual on the portables using the EX71's. (And I am not
deaf, yet.) The EX71's should sound differently (better) once they
are properly "burned in." They wont sound as great as the Etty's or
Shures (it might be unfair to compare them, as the Etty's and Shures
are AUDIOPHILE PHONES and the EX71 never claimed to be as such.)
The EX71's will definately sound better than the stock ear phones that
came with your portable players. The EX71's produce lots of boomy Bass.

Another good inexpensive alternative IMO are the Koss KSC-35's.
Sounds better than the EX71's, but they do leak sound to others
around you.

Good Luck!

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 21
I'm glad to hear,(pun intended), that I'm not the only one pumping up da volume on these things !

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRuM
I'm glad to hear,(pun intended), that I'm not the only one pumping up da volume on these things !

Oh yeah!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do a search on these forums (when it is working) there are plenty
of comments about the EX71's as this has been posted or been discussed
before.

My 2 Gripes about the EX71's:
1) I have to turn up the volume a little bit more than normal
2) The treble is not that clear (I have to turn up the EQ Treble.)
*But I have had my EX71's for a while now.*

Give them a proper "Burn In" and enjoy your EX71's. If you still don't like
them, then take the plunge and "Sorry about your Wallet." But the EX71's
have been given a bad rap around here for newbies just wanting to replace
their horrible portable player stock earphones. And for $30-ish price that isn't bad for the EX71's. Also for GYM, SLEEP BED USAGE, AND Travel usage, the EX71's are excellent also (for their price range, UNAMPED, and through
non-Audiophile ears.)

I have and use the Koss KSC-35's also, and I like their sound (lots of bass also, very clear, ultra-portable, and inexpensive price) UNAMPED and through my portable players.

If you want AUDIOPHILE ear-canal phones (and can afford it) go for the Etty's or Shures (but you might need to invest further for a headphone amp
to get the most out of the Etty's and Shures also.)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back