Sony MDR-EX700LP
Aug 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

blueae1405

New Head-Fier
I currently own the Sony MDR-EX700LP earbuds and I was wondering if these can be used as studio earbuds meaning using them for tracking and mixing? I know that these are top of the line from SonyStyle.com so I thought they should play exactly how the recording is done.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Another question is do you guys think that the earbuds I have are the top of the line? Are they really that great. I do think they sound good but I' am just wondering what others think. I assume there are other people here that use these earbuds too.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueae1405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if these can be used as studio earbuds meaning using them for tracking and mixing?

They can, but they won't necessarily be ideal for the purpose.

Quote:

I know that these are top of the line from SonyStyle.com so I thought they should play exactly how the recording is done.

Absolutely not.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 10
So I guess for recording you need a studio monitor headphone like the big ones that cover your ears. I thought if you got the top line earbuds they would sorta replace the big headphones but guess not.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Other than that to you guys think these earbuds are really great since they costs around $200? On Sony they cost $300. I would like feedback on people who owns these and tell me what they think on how they sound like are they good at the bass or good mids, treble etc.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Don't own them, do have a friend who has them and listened to them enough to pass judgement on them. Compared to other sonys, they're pretty damn good. Compared to other manufacturers offerings in the same priceclass, not so good.

I wouldn't buy them, but YMMV....

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 10
So I guess it wasn't good that I got these? I thought Sony has been the best brand for small things like headphones, MP3 player, MD players, etc.

Just wondering but what part does the EX700 doesn't sound as good as others the same price? Like they don't have enough bass, mids or highs? Or too much mids etc?

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

So I guess it wasn't good that I got these? I thought Sony has been the best brand for small things like headphones, MP3 player, MD players, etc.

Just wondering but what part does the EX700 doesn't sound as good as others the same price? Like they don't have enough bass, mids or highs? Or too much mids etc?

i've read that EX700 has pretty harsh highs
It all boils down to personal preference.. go listen to other high end IEMs and hear the difference for yourself

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 10
I did look for some reviews on the earbuds and there is someone that says that these earbuds aren't that bright and it will sound like a cloth is between the ear and the earbuds. He says that there are more focused on the mids than the highs or lows. Now I guess I sorta agree with that but I don't know if that is true with everyone else. If there are others the own these earbuds please let me know what you think about the sound.
Just looking for feedbacks for these high end earbuds.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 10
You can buy 'reference level' monitor headphone from different headphone manufacturers and I can pretty much guarantee you that they will not sound the same. So which is more correct? It is really up to the listener. You can use one particular headphone to mix (as long as you understand the strengths and weaknesses of that particular headphone) but in the end you will need to double check it on other headphones and speakers to make sure it will sounds coherent on different gears.

EX700 is top-of-the-line in Sony land, but I always think it isn't as good as other top-end universal IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back