Sony MDR-E888LP at Ebay, genuine??
Feb 18, 2007 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

minusflo

Head-Fier
I saw a lot of sellers of Sony's MDR-E888LP at Ebay from HongKong and U.K. One store, Vileen, sells it for less than $30 shipped from U.K. A really good bargain. Has anybody here purchased from Vileen? Are the E888s genuine? I love and miss the sound of E888 on my PCDP as my old one died. I don't think Sony still makes them...where would these come from?

I am a bit concerned about buying for fear of getting fake ones.
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 20
I can't find that store on Ebay. Paste a link.

Regardless, all E888s on Ebay are fake. Lets say you buy them from some random Ebay seller, you don't have another pair to compare them with to verify their authenticity. Then you'll assume that the sound you're hearing from them, which will be a lot of crap, is what you're supposed hear. Then you'll throw them away and buy something else. Or keep them and be unhappy
frown.gif

Get them from Audiocubes. Save you a lot of hassle.

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 20
e888 has the short cord version e888sp and long cord, e888lp.

the sp is made in japan, and is expensive.

the lp is like the export version if u like, and was first made in south korea, then phillipines, then now china. i know bcoz i have been selling it for 7 years. (wow that long!). the lp version is not expensive, and retails abt us$50 (i am just telling, not selling, dont get excited).

as to whether those on ebay is real, it boils down to the fundamental question of internet purchases, or even any retail purchases .. do u trust the seller.

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find that store on Ebay. Paste a link.

Regardless, all E888s on Ebay are fake. Lets say you buy them from some random Ebay seller, you don't have another pair to compare them with to verify their authenticity. Then you'll assume that the sound you're hearing from them, which will be a lot of crap, is what you're supposed hear. Then you'll throw them away and buy something else. Or keep them and be unhappy
frown.gif

Get them from Audiocubes. Save you a lot of hassle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-E888LP-...QQcmdZViewItem

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 20
i think there are some genuine vendors on ebay (which sells for ~$40+), but the pair i bought few weeks ago (~$20) seem to be fake. in terms of appearance, there's almost no way to distinguish the authentic from the counterfeit items. fyi the fake ones are packaged just like the real ones.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Bluetin.com still sells the authentic E888LP version though, at least according to their website when I checked it a few minutes ago.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 20
best-e-bay-sell e888s are authentic. i was kinda skeptical at first since i bought the first one for 99 cents ($8 shipping)!!! incredible value indeed! how do i know it's original? well i had an original one to compare it with (unless it's fake... heh). it has the same distinct e888 rich, lush midrange which i really do not think any fake can emulate. the biocellulose diaphragm (feels like wax paper) is transparent too. packaging is all there too. i really don't think any company would go through all the trouble to create a fake that looks and sounds like the real thing, and sell it at 99 cents...
smily_headphones1.gif
anyways, quick grab those e888, before i buy all of them. i believe sony no longer makes them anymore... so it's going to be extinct real soon... oh, and remember to do the e888 mod (remove all the plastic crap in front of the driver). it sounds incredible afterwards. cheers.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well on ebay when it seems to good to be true, it usually is

Right now, you can get the Yuin PK2 for $50
..watcha waitin for?

You gotta tell me where can I get the Yuin PK2 for $50. I have been watching the PK3 on eBay, but it is not that attractive since the shipping charge from Thailand to US will kill deal. So PLEASE PLEASE tell me where can I find the PK2 for $50. Thanks

b3bawang.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by minhwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e888 has the short cord version e888sp and long cord, e888lp.

the sp is made in japan, and is expensive.

the lp is like the export version if u like, and was first made in south korea, then phillipines, then now china. i know bcoz i have been selling it for 7 years. (wow that long!). the lp version is not expensive, and retails abt us$50 (i am just telling, not selling, dont get excited).

as to whether those on ebay is real, it boils down to the fundamental question of internet purchases, or even any retail purchases .. do u trust the seller.

Has anyone compared real with fake photographically and posted the comparison? I believe i have just purchased fake E888 from an Ebay seller in Asia.

Minhwa, any pointers as to what to look for re: genuine vs fake?

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 20
Sorry to bump an old-ish thread...

I just received some e888lp's from China that I'm pretty sure are fake. They came in a normal enough package (although the previous 2 times I've gotten 888's, they came with a 2-month warranty slip) and whatnot. First thing that threw me off - It says Japan on the 1/8" connector, and I'm pretty sure LP's were never even made in Japan; plus, why ship a Japanese product from China? Next thing - seemingly awful sound quality.

I'll post some pics after I get to look at my old, dead-ish pair of LP's tomorrow or the day after... I, too, am curious as to how I can be sure they're fake, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back