Sony MDR-DS8000: 6.1-ch headphone
Sep 21, 2001 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 27
Vertigo-1: The headphone itself might not be so important for some of us. If the controller and its jack are good, then one might just want to plug in one's favourite headphone and ignore the supplied one (wireless, or not...) - at least I might do so.
wink.gif
Of couse, it would be even better if the controller was available separately - but I guess it's not.

Greetings from SF (2 1/2 more days)!

Manfred / lini

Sep 22, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 27
hmm......i personally think the gyrotrak feature is kinda neat....it would be kewl if it worked the way possum described it.

I'm with jim - on with product evolution!

(HT wasn't, isn't, and never will be tied to hi-fi.....that's the sad thing - and that's even sadder since a good HT system COULD be a decent HT system, and vice versa....)

bakhtiar: thanx for the nice translation : )

Sep 22, 2001 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 27
Coolvij wrote: "(...) since a good HT system COULD be a decent HT system, and vice versa...."

Me thinks: Yes, "good" and "decent" are pretty much what I'd call synonyms - at least in that context.
smily_headphones1.gif

Grinnings from SF (1 1/2 more days)!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: This head-tracking feature is exactly what I missed so far in headphone virtualizers. Well, and a good & juicy headphone jack. And multiple digitial inputs. And a few digital outputs. And a line out with a reasonable 2 channel virtualization for the stereo rack... Well, maybe a phone input and some line inputs, too. Plus video in- and outputs including complete format and signal conversion (ntsc <-> pal, composite <-> svhs <-> rgb <-> component video). Yeah, that's about it. Oh, and I forgot: The price for this desired deluxe pre-amp shouldn't exceed 400 bucks... Anybody seen something like that?
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:06 AM Post #19 of 27
How many people look away from the movie they are watching enough to justify heaving gyro track installed in their heapdhones? Me personally I tend to sit and look straight ahead when i watch a movie. But then again maybe I am wrong. Maybe I should be waving my head around aimlessly paying absolutely no attention to the visual aspect of the movie. Maybe I need gyrotrack so that in order to get even stereo sound I have to balance myself perfectly in front of the television.

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 27
ai0tron: Maybe you just need a bigger tv set?
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from SF!

Lini

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 27
Okay, Folks those headphones are over 600.00 in american money. They'll probably be the same price as the 5100 as soon as they arrive here. I can't way to hear the reviews on those suckers!

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #23 of 27
Has anyone actually tried MDR-DS8000 yet?

I have head much about Panasonic’s dobly headphone but than again must of us have experienced dobly headphone from our computers.

Sony's most recent version of 2 speaker surround, incorporating tracking on the headphone has me intrigued.

If you have used the MDR-DS8000, please comment on the headphone itself. Even though the base has an output jack, losing the sound tracking would render it less useful.

Mar 22, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 27
The point isn't to turn your head 90 degrees and watch the whole movie through mirrors.
rolleyes.gif
When you sit and watch a movie, you're not going to stay frozen like a statue for the whole 2 hours. You'll shift your weight, tilt your head, get more comfortable, etc. These small movements would change slightly how the sound through speakers would sound, and I think that is what this system will try to duplicate.

Mar 22, 2003 at 9:42 AM Post #25 of 27
I haven't heard the Sony DS8000, but be advised that this is not a Dolby Headphone based system.

I have heard Sony's VSS system (which is probably similar to the DS8000) and it's very good. I've also used Yamaha's Silent Cinema extensively and it's also very good. Neither of these hold a candle to Dolby Headphone, however.

Anyone seriously interested in this type gear should not miss this excellent Pioneer SE-DIR1000C review by JMedeiros:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=27532

My views on my slightly different SE-XB1 version can be seen here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=sin+city

If you haven't heard Dolby Headphone, you're in for a pleasant surprise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 27
Personally, I think Dolby headphone shows that the technology has potential but still has a few generations to go before being worthy of the hype its receiving.

It strikes me that Sony might an ace up their sleeves. They certainly have the resources, and head direction tracking might make all the difference in believability (the brain doesn’t need much).

I ruled out the Panasonic a while ago - actually I ruled out dolby headphone after hearing it - but have kept a look out for any reviews on this Sony. Surprisingly, few people seem to have it.

May 17, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #27 of 27
Okay guys if the Hearo 999 can't compete with dolby headphone nobody can. I've heard eight speakers just about all around me. Sony has six. However according to Number 9. The one thing that shines with DH is HEIGHT, HEIGHT! The ability to recreate sounds that go above rather than in the middle. With the IVA processing using logic 7. The sounds miss that Height Dimension which dolby nails almost perfectly. The thunder that is more inback of becomes more way above you and all around. I've heard the Sony MDR-DS5100,

as they say in "Men on Vacation"

hhhated itt.

Anyhow dolby headphone is by dolby. If your system can't sound like dolby headphone. Maybe you have dolby hook it up for you. Let's get professional instead of obsessional. Has anybody heard a home theater set-up by dolby itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back