http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0920/sony1.htm

11/21/2001
70000 yen
Dolby Digital Surround EX
DTS-ES
Dolby Prologic II
Advanced Audio Coding

Sep 20, 2001 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 27
Looks like Virtual 6.1 to me... seeing that there are only 2 drivers... hell where does the 0.1 come from? Do you strap a subwoofer to your head?

Sep 20, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 27
I think it actually comes with two small subs. One of those pictures shows two small speakers that could be subs. heh, doubt they'd to much though...

Sep 20, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 27
hmm, they come with speakers
confused.gif
?

can't say I'm really interrested tho. a wireless Sony headphone that comes with a sub and tries to be a 6.1 setup....I mean

Sep 20, 2001 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 27
perhaps it's a different product. I'll translate it using altavista and find out.
C.jpg

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 27
Has anyone ever compared Dolby Headphone with Sony's virtual technology?

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 27
Hello,

This is my own translation with from Sony official web page.

(my comment is in this bracket)

MDR-DS8000: Digital Surround Headphone System.

1) The first headphone system that can deal with 6.1 digital input source.

2) Head tracking system "Gyrotrak" : Built-in gyro sensor, that can change the stereo imaging, when we move the head.

(Like 3D VR system)

3) This cordless headphone use NON-COMPRESSION digital infra-red transmision to preserve the audio quality.

4) This system also DTS certified system when used with Virtual DTS (DTS-ES) mode.

Specs:

Heaphone:

Type : Full open air dynamic

Driver unit : 50 mm, CCAW voice coil

Freq : 12-24 000 Hz

Weight : 350g , with battery

Battery : Rechargeble, Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMH), or AA alkaline battery cell.

Processor:

Decoder : Dolby Digital Surroind EX, Dolby Digital, Dolby Prologic II, DTS-ES, DTS, MPEG2-AAC

Virtual Surround function : Effect :- CINEMA1/CINEMA2/MUSIC/Virtuall mode off/Virtual Front/Virtual Surround 5.1 and 6.1 ch.

Transmission Freq: 12-24 000 Hz (48 kHz sampling mode)

Range : 10 m

Extra headphone : MDR-IF8000 (I think this is the standalone headphone for DS-8000 without the processor)

IMHO, SRS-VS5 is another product and might not related to MDR-DS8000.

I hope this info might be useful to everyone..

Sep 21, 2001 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 27
Does anyone remember how it was possible to set up 3 networked computers to run DOOM, with one displaying front view, one displaying right and one displaying the left view, for your own personal VR system?

_THAT_ the Gyrotrack would rule for. Of course, no 3d sound in DOOM....

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

2) Head tracking system "Gyrotrak" : Built-in gyro sensor, that can change the stereo imaging, when we move the head.
(Like 3D VR system)
3) This cordless headphone use NON-COMPRESSION digital infra-red transmision to preserve the audio quality.

Very ambitious indeed of Sony...I just wonder if they got their drivers right this time. Bad drivers = down the toilet with the rest.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 27
I'm sorry but Gyrotrack sounds pretty stupid...especially if you are watching a movie. Unless you couple it with VR glasses with a weird pannable movie/game. But than I think thats a little bit out there at the moment.

Haha...lets couple the Senn surrounder with these headphones and some VR goggles and label yourself as the ultimate technonerd.

Sep 21, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 27
Perhaps the gyrotrack feature is to make the movie experience even more realistic, like when using surround speakers. If you're watching a movie these headphones, then turn your head, say, to the right, then a gunshot coming from the right side of your seat will sound in front of where you're facing, just like with a home surround setup. But if you were to use ordinary headphones, the shot from the right of your seat will just come from direction behind your seat since you're facing the right side.

The main objective is probably to give you the feeling of being THERE, relating the picture on the screen to where the sound is coming from, regardless of your head position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back