Sony MDR-DS7500: World's first lossless headphone amp/7.1 wireless surround setup
Feb 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #16 of 30
Hi guys, after months of searching for reviews of the MDR-DS7500s I ended up caving and buying them.  I must say I am so surprised by how good they are.  Definitely over-priced primarily due to being the pioneer in the DTS HD MA and TRUEHD wireless hdmi headset world but all of a sudden with a wife who wants to sleep I find them probably one of the best purchases I have made in a while.  Feel free to ask me anything or for vids and pics if you want.  Box is a pass-through and you can power-up the unit using the headphones as well as switch inputs, etc from the headphones.  TrueHD and DTS mode is noticeably clearer and sound separation/positioning is quite accurate.  My reference points are the Senn HD595s through a receiver for DTS HD MA/TRUEHD as well as corsair vengeance 1500s on the pc prior to picking up the senns and the Sony MDR DS7500s.  They are closed ear and keep the sound in quite well.  The earcups are nowhere near Sennheiser quality but they are comfortable and the headset is sturdy.  Go for it.

George

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #17 of 30
Are there any noticeable hiss in the audio when not sound is present?

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 30
Hey, I just double-checked and it looks like there is no hiss that i can hear.  I tried turning up the sound to max with nothing playing and so far nothing. 

Oh yeah I forgot to say that I also tried plugging in the power while listening but unless i cannot find the right setting I think you cannot simultaneously plug in the charger while listening.  Can anyone read japanese instructions?  Hah.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 30
Feb 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Hey, I just double-checked and it looks like there is no hiss that i can hear.  I tried turning up the sound to max with nothing playing and so far nothing. 

Oh yeah I forgot to say that I also tried plugging in the power while listening but unless i cannot find the right setting I think you cannot simultaneously plug in the charger while listening.  Can anyone read japanese instructions?  Hah.

Thanks for reporting back.  No hiss is good.  I may look into getting one.  How does the 7.1 sound?

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 30
No problem. The 7.1 Sounds quite clear positionally in games and in DD or DTS HD MA/TrueHD mode and the soundstage (to my amateur) ears is not too bad.  Still far more closed than a Senn HD 650 type of feel so that is why in my case I was back and forth between the Senn RS 220s and this one. I chose these in my case because I needed a closed set-up due to my wife sleeping beside me hah!  I did a full review in the link above in case it helps, however if you're used to the premium sets like in your signature you may find these not up to par.  If only Sennheiser or Audio-Technica, etc came out with a competitive product.

Take care,
George

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #22 of 30
Georgieo, I picked up a pair of these as well. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese either and am forced to use Google Translate the same as you to translate the Japanese .PDF manual, which is a bit lacking.

Have you figured out what COMPRESSION and the various settings does?

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Georgieo, I picked up a pair of these as well. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese either and am forced to use Google Translate the same as you to translate the Japanese .PDF manual, which is a bit lacking.

Have you figured out what COMPRESSION and the various settings does?

Hey Eric.  Sorry for the late reply.  I don't use the compression settings but I found a bit more literature on this.  I posted it in my review of this headset.  The link to Sony Japan shows some pictures explaining the compression, however here is a bit more info.  I still don't get it?:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fheadphone%2Fproducts%2FMDR-DS7500%2F

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 30
May 5, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 30
Hey guys, sorry I have fallen off the reply boat for a while as we have just had our baby boy a few weeks ago.  I have two dolby headphone comparisons that I will add to my review 1) PC Corsair Vengeance 1500 dolby with a blu-ray playing on dolby headphone mode and 2) my senn hd595 and 555s through a turtle beach dss module in dolby mode.   Overall the MDR-DS7500s sound great in cinema prologicIIz and x modes and you get quite a clear and wide surround feel when using these modes.  I still can't hear the height that prologicIIz claims to provide but I find it great.  The DSS module adds almost an identical spatialization to the set-up.  Keep in mind that most dolby headphone set-ups are limited to spdif/optical that I have run across while the MDR-DS7500s allow DTS-HD MA and DolbyTrueHD.  Please note that there is no confirmation from Sony on what happens to the signal upon transmission to the headset even though it can RECEIVE and decode a lossless signal through the previous two formats or linear PCM (ie: capped at 48? instead of also transmitting the same true lossless signal it received).  

Sorry that rambling probably didn't help haha

Take care back to changing diapers,

George

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 30
hey curiousgeorgieo?...whats the best range of the transmission have u experienced? I need at least 40meters (125 ft )....I've read all of you post (reviews) and I couldn't remember what you stated about the range!,,...Thanks for everything !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back