Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Jun 2, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #226 of 346
V7 was not the original name for the CD900ST. It was a similar headphone that was marketed in other countries while Japan had the CD900 (non-ST). If I remember correctly, the driver material was slightly different between the two and I can't remember the name off the top of my head, and there was a debate back then that one sounded better than the other but I was still young back then and I personally couldn't hear the difference. Otherwise, they were pretty much identical and CD900 came out before the V7. Around the time the CD900 was discontinued was when the CD900St came out and has the, now more common, PET/mylar material used in the driver but was also marketed as a very easy to repair pair of headphones. A couple years after the CD900ST debut, the mod community became pretty big for it's time in Japan and that's when I decided to buy my first CD900ST. Since then, I think I've bought like 4 more pairs because I either lost it or broke it beyond repair and it was easier to buy a new pair but yeah, it's one of my favorites, partly because I know the sound signature of it better then anything else. ...and on a side note, I've been the only one to my knowledge walking around with a pair at all the CanJam's I've been to and rarely do I get approached by someone who knows about it and we become friends. I was sad though when one time, no one from the Sony booth knew what it was because they were hired to sit at the booth...
CD900 was amorphous diamond diaphragm and sarium cobalt magnet

CD900SBS was later introduced with same diaphragm but neodymium magnet.

CD900ST was Japan only mass production which was further tuned and was having N50 magnets but mylar liquid sandwich diaphragm.(today Sony calls it Liquid crystal polymer due to advanced manufacturing method).

Here....new mod for CD900ST to make it sound even better

https://gigazine.net/gsc_news/en/20140309-sony-mdr-cd900st-customize

Solving driver crosstalk issue and utilising all the connecting points/pads on driver

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #227 of 346
The Sony MDR-M1ST is releasing on the 23rd of August 2019 - Successor to the CD900ST?

https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/...pSONGk7HzzEBRXD0TeWhlWZaoLDsccM54ZeVBs2mRuEPY

MDR-M1ST_003.jpg

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #228 of 346
Aug 17, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #231 of 346
Somehow close examining the sound measurement curves of Sony CD900ST I come to a conclusion that similarly to Foster drivers tuning is astonishing. From low bass roll off to midrange and oscillations in highs it all looks like Foster traditional tuning. But those don't use Foster dynamic cones that are bio - cellular & there for with lower impedances in Ohm's (32~35 Ohm's [± 15~20%] for 40 mm driver's). I do like the quality of this Sony product.

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #232 of 346
I have the Sony CD 900 ST with the Yaxi pads, using the DAC Grace Design m9XX, with the dedicated amp to cd 900 st Umbrella BTL 900 from japan (https://umbrella-company.jp/umbrella-company-btl-900.html). Yes the sound is really clear, and i might try to change the cable to check, also changing to XLR cable mod (from umbrella amp). This headphone is not always sounding good when the recording is soso, this is its main issue. But when it sounds good it is very good.
I like how out of the trends is this headphones, with visible screws means i can repair it etc. This is not a gold premium headphones with some show off features. It is under stated one.
For a home use I might prever open headphones but i use it in a noisy place so it fits the purpose.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #234 of 346
I have some CD900ST that I modified. It has a bending capability added by buying a V6 and stealing those headband parts, and I drilled out a matching hole (and bored out the cable hole) for dual 2.5mm (TS) balanced entry.

I'm using Brainwavz pads though, which are soft and supple (sheepskin leather) but sounds pretty dark. Fine for my use since it matches my music and works great at work for running a club in my ears in the middle of corporate America...

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #235 of 346
Does anyone know where to buy OEM cd900st pads from US? I ordered both stpad1 and stpad2 and prefer stock over both. But no idea where to find OEM pads for these when my current pair inevitably starts flaking. I've heard the v6/7506 pads aren't quite the same thing.

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #236 of 346
Does anyone know where to buy OEM cd900st pads from US? I ordered both stpad1 and stpad2 and prefer stock over both. But no idea where to find OEM pads for these when my current pair inevitably starts flaking. I've heard the v6/7506 pads aren't quite the same thing.
correct, they are not the same. I've been ordering through Japan but every once in a while I would see the real thing on ebay. A friend of mine just emailed E-Earphone in Japan and arranged to get the pads shipped overseas a couple of years ago. Funny thing is because the 7506 is more a US thing, pads for those are more expensive in Japan than Pads for CD900. I think I replace my pads every 2 years or so.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #238 of 346
How does this compare to 7510 or k371? looking for some cans to mix with. The 7510 lacks clarity on the high ends imo, and lacks soundstage as well, I was expecting something different. The k371 feels better on this department but the mid range seems lacking.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #239 of 346
How does this compare to 7510 or k371? looking for some cans to mix with. The 7510 lacks clarity on the high ends imo, and lacks soundstage as well, I was expecting something different. The k371 feels better on this department but the mid range seems lacking.
I can't speak to the K371 but the 7510 to me was just a darker and more comfortable version of the 7506. I really don't like the 7506 but I still have a pair. Also any monitoring headphones really aren't going to have any soundstage. They are all designed to be very narrow ... for monitoring. The 900ST is just designed interestingly to where you could mod it to give better soundstage if you wanted to. I am a huge fan of the 900ST hands down. But I maybe bias because its one of the few headphones that is actually made still in Japan. lol

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #240 of 346
I can't speak to the K371 but the 7510 to me was just a darker and more comfortable version of the 7506. I really don't like the 7506 but I still have a pair. Also any monitoring headphones really aren't going to have any soundstage. They are all designed to be very narrow ... for monitoring. The 900ST is just designed interestingly to where you could mod it to give better soundstage if you wanted to. I am a huge fan of the 900ST hands down. But I maybe bias because its one of the few headphones that is actually made still in Japan. lol
900st is definitely way better than 7506. Much better res, much cleaner. Laid back instead of harsh. Quite narrow stage, tho pretty good depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back