Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #241 of 346
I can't speak to the K371 but the 7510 to me was just a darker and more comfortable version of the 7506. I really don't like the 7506 but I still have a pair. Also any monitoring headphones really aren't going to have any soundstage. They are all designed to be very narrow ... for monitoring. The 900ST is just designed interestingly to where you could mod it to give better soundstage if you wanted to. I am a huge fan of the 900ST hands down. But I maybe bias because its one of the few headphones that is actually made still in Japan. lol

So which closed cans for produicing would you recommend? And which mods improve soundstage for 900st? Sound wise are they clearer or anything?

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #242 of 346
900st is definitely way better than 7506. Much better res, much cleaner. Laid back instead of harsh. Quite narrow stage, tho pretty good depth.
What about the 7510? I hvent ried 7506 only 7510. And what about the obscure 7520? so many cans.

What worries me about the 900st is that the thing earpads look painful. And if you change the earpads you may change the sound for worse.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #243 of 346
So which closed cans for produicing would you recommend? And which mods improve soundstage for 900st? Sound wise are they clearer or anything?
You can't expand cd900st stage without messing up the rest of the sound. They are narrow monitoring cans. They are much cleaner and more detailed than 7506. They sound laid back instead of bright and forward.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #244 of 346
What about the 7510? I hvent ried 7506 only 7510. And what about the obscure 7520? so many cans.

What worries me about the 900st is that the thing earpads look painful. And if you change the earpads you may change the sound for worse.
Get yaxi stpad (first version not stpad2 or velour ones)

Fixed comfort without messing up sound

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #245 of 346
Get yaxi stpad (first version not stpad2 or velour ones)

Fixed comfort without messing up sound

I need a comparation with the 7510 to have a reference point. Also, what does monitoring exactly mean, recording people's voices and instruments? then why i've seen electronic music producers basically succesfully making tracks on such labeled monitoring cans if they dont have proper soundstage?

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #246 of 346
I need a comparation with the 7510 to have a reference point. Also, what does monitoring exactly mean, recording people's voices and instruments? then why i've seen electronic music producers basically succesfully making tracks on such labeled monitoring cans if they dont have proper soundstage?
Monitoring as it applies to headphones means listening to the recording in studio as it's happening to make sure there aren't issues.

As for producing music, you don't really need soundstage to make something sound decent. For production you would generally use studio monitor speakers anyway.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #247 of 346
Monitoring as it applies to headphones means listening to the recording in studio as it's happening to make sure there aren't issues.

As for producing music, you don't really need soundstage to make something sound decent. For production you would generally use studio monitor speakers anyway.
So these are good for production?

Well when making electronic music.. isn't mixing part of the production? if you don't know where the stuff you are programing sits at (soundstage) then it's difficult to guess when and if you could put a certain sound somewhere which influences the production part, if it makes sense... ideally you would want an all in one sound (some with a "flat" curve with good soundstage)

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #248 of 346
So these are good for production?

Well when making electronic music.. isn't mixing part of the production? if you don't know where the stuff you are programing sits at (soundstage) then it's difficult to guess when and if you could put a certain sound somewhere which influences the production part, if it makes sense... ideally you would want an all in one sound (some with a "flat" curve with good soundstage)
You need imaging to tell where stuff is. Soundstage is just how "big" the headphone sounds and is mostly relevant for enjoyment purposes. Cd900st has good imaging, separation and depth but the stage is narrow so stuff isn't sounding far away from your ear but the relative position of sounds is accurate within that smaller space.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #249 of 346
You need imaging to tell where stuff is. Soundstage is just how "big" the headphone sounds and is mostly relevant for enjoyment purposes. Cd900st has good imaging, separation and depth but the stage is narrow so stuff isn't sounding far away from your ears.

How does it fit within the 7510 for reference?

Also ive always had problem separating the soundstage part from imaging... everything matters imo.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #250 of 346
How does it fit within the 7510 for reference?

Also ive always had problem separating the soundstage part from imaging... everything matters imo.
Never tried 7510 but I have tried v6 and 7506 and 900st is a lot better than those.

But if you're looking for big soundstage the cd900st doesn't have it.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #251 of 346
Never tried 7510 but I have tried v6 and 7506 and 900st is a lot better than those.

But if you're looking for big soundstage the cd900st doesn't have it.

Not necessarily big. Just something reasonable, that will help me make music that translates reasonably on other systems. As of right now, like I said the 7510 is a bit too smooth on the highs, and I think i would tend to over emphasize the high end which would translate in it being too piercing in other cans/speakers. And the k371 I think lacks definition on the mid range. So I was consdering trying the cd900st but I would need to buy it from Amazon, and take a big gamble, because I have no way to test them.

In which ways is cd900st way better than those?

When was the cd900st released btw? I think 7510 is a 2012 release, and 7506 is ancient.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #252 of 346
Not necessarily big. Just something reasonable, that will help me make music that translates reasonably on other systems. As of right now, like I said the 7510 is a bit too smooth on the highs, and I think i would tend to over emphasize the high end which would translate in it being too piercing in other cans/speakers. And the k371 I think lacks definition on the mid range. So I was consdering trying the cd900st but I would need to buy it from Amazon, and take a big gamble, because I have no way to test them.

In which ways is cd900st way better than those?

When was the cd900st released btw? I think 7510 is a 2012 release, and 7506 is ancient.
900st is even older than 7506 afaik

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #253 of 346
Im concerned an old headphone will do a better job for modern style production than the more recent ones tbh, I might pass. Z mentioned how it "sounds 80" I think. That certain 80's Sony sound. I think I know what he is about. But then again this one is supposed to be a monitor neutral headphone so im not sure.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #255 of 346
it's been many years since i sold the v7 which is the 900st. tried many headphones after. for music enjoyment i would never buy those again. even the ma900 gives you a modernized sound vs those. still the durability of sony driver has excellent record, good material used for the drivers. for studio use these sony ones are good. i have a z7 coming and if i like it maybe sell some other headphones and get the z1r.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back