Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #136 of 346
Afraid I haven't heard the MT220.
redface.gif

I gotta say, I'm getting thumpier bass out of these than I remember. Not sure if it's just because I had bassy headphones to compare them to before, or my memory is bad, or what, but I'm liking it. Obviously not huge, thunderous bass, but what's here is very good.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #142 of 346
  yeah but do they do other mods on theris can, that change the sound ? or is it just foldable headband/detachable cord mod iam paying for ?

No, its not. They won't add resistor or transistor to your driver if you didn't request it. If you did paying for foldable headband/detachable cord mod using stock cable and jack. The difference should be hard to notice.

Anyway, I'm recabling my cd900st using mogami cable + oyaide jack and I hardly notice the difference. It was when I change the pads into aftermarket yaxi earpads I really notice the difference from recabling. Granted the price that I paid for pads more expensive than recabling, but it should be gave some pictures.

Last but not least, usually the difference in sound was more of a jack factor than cable factor if you doing some cheap mods.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #143 of 346
I've never heard of this headphone before, but the CD900ST has been popping up all over today. Google Now randomly linked me to a 2010 review on Headfonics which led to me researching it a bit further and now it just happens to be stocked by one of my favorite NYC gadget stores A.C. Gears. I'm not on the market for a new closed monitor, but anyone in NYC might be able to test drive them on the Wall of Headphones.

http://www.acgears.com/sony-mdr-cd900st-studio-monitor-stereo-headphones.html

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #144 of 346
Flat frequency response is the best frequency response. Of course the ends will be rolled off but thats okay.

I had the CD900ST. They're great mid-fi and portable. Now only if it were more resolving would it be worth carrying around over some IEM or earbuds.

May 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #145 of 346
Picked up a pair from Amazon for $175 and am very impressed. They are light and comfortable - much better fit than the 7506, which has tighter clamping force and the pads made me sweaty. The pads on the CD900st are thin but they feel as comfortable as a pair of slippers. I also just ordered the Yaxi pads from Japan and they are supposed to be even better. The pads are made from protein leather too so shouldn't cause sweatiness either.

Not sure if sound changes at all with burn in but so far it's really nice with jazz and acoustic recordings. It's definitely a specialty type headphone and won't be to everyone's liking but reliability and reputation can't be beat. The build quality is, of course, excellent.

May 15, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #146 of 346
Picked up a pair from Amazon for $175 and am very impressed. They are light and comfortable - much better fit than the 7506, which has tighter clamping force and the pads made me sweaty. The pads on the CD900st are thin but they feel as comfortable as a pair of slippers. I also just ordered the Yaxi pads from Japan and they are supposed to be even better. The pads are made from protein leather too so shouldn't cause sweatiness either.

Not sure if sound changes at all with burn in but so far it's really nice with jazz and acoustic recordings. It's definitely a specialty type headphone and won't be to everyone's liking but reliability and reputation can't be beat. The build quality is, of course, excellent.

Disagree. Its a very neutral headphone. It's an everything headphone because it doesn't do anything wrong. If someone doesn't like it its because they are looking for something more resolving, or something colored (wrong but special).

May 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #147 of 346
I see your point but I guess I was trying to say neutral headphones like this are not the norm. Most on the mainstream market are colored to a certain degree, even ones advertised as neutral. After all this is a studio monitor that is generally only available in Japan and reserved for professionals so in that sense it is a specialty headphone.

May 15, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #148 of 346

Disagree. Its a very neutral headphone. It's an everything headphone because it doesn't do anything wrong. If someone doesn't like it its because they are looking for something more resolving, or something colored (wrong but special).

They're certainly neutral, but the little things that take away from being perfectly neutral are what make it a specialty headphone, I think. To my ear, they're extremely resolving... In the mid range. Bass is somewhat detailed, but lacks extension to be truly detailed. Likewise, some of the treble frequencies are down a bit, so some detail is lost in that end as well. I also think their smaller soundstage makes them a hard sell for some people. You basically have to want an intimate presentation, with somewhat limited detail to be really floored by these.

May 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #149 of 346
I tried the HM5 velour pads with the MDR CD900st and they feel great. The bass diminishes just a tad but the soundstage is so much better. I kind of wish I didn't order Yaxi EarPads from Japan as they are expensive but looking forward to trying them too.

I saw that several people use the HM5 pads on the V6 and 7506 so figured it would be a good fit for the 900. They are now one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried.

May 18, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #150 of 346
They're certainly neutral, but the little things that take away from being perfectly neutral are what make it a specialty headphone, I think. To my ear, they're extremely resolving... In the mid range. Bass is somewhat detailed, but lacks extension to be truly detailed. Likewise, some of the treble frequencies are down a bit, so some detail is lost in that end as well. I also think their smaller soundstage makes them a hard sell for some people. You basically have to want an intimate presentation, with somewhat limited detail to be really floored by these.

I can't agree with them being extremely resolving. Have you tried some higher end headphones? Stax, Audeze, hd800, etc. It's no comparison. It's eye opening. It's like, "I should have tried these years ago." Luckily, I discovered them relatively early and saved myself lots of money instead of trying lots more of midfi and audio tweaks for a bit more resolution. It sounds snobby, but I don't want anyone reading this thread thinking cd900st is top shelf if you're looking for resolution that way they don't waste their time. I personally preferred speakers so sold off my headphones and I think the the last two I kept were portables because you can't use speakers outside at the library as a college student. One of those headphones I kept was the cd900st. I eventually may have sold it to you. Not sure. :D now I'm back for an office headphone, but nothing too expensive or resolving or distracting. Just comfort and background listening. So I tried this he-400i. It's good sound quality for the sale price, but the comfort I find is only ok. If I could take back my purchase, I'd probably just stick to my PK1 earbuds.

Agreed about what makes someone become floored with the cd900st. I listen to all of the music listed in your profile and the rolled off bass would not bother that genre much at all which is why I could adore cd900st too. You can't do much better for portable isolation full sized headphone at the time. I haven't heard the newest stuff including some of the new planar portables and I'm not sure if they're closed back, so... I remember there was a portable audio technica woodie portable back in the day. I don't know if it's OOP now, but I would like to give that one a try. I'm sure there are tons of outstanding full sized closed back portables now that I'm not aware of. Headphone audio is so much bigger now than when I initially joined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back