Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Jul 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #121 of 346
  A friend of mine has a CD999, which is a semi-open CD900ST. It even has the same pads as far as I can tell, but also worned out. It sounds very similar like a CD900ST, but with treble extension.

Where did you buy those genuine pads?

from Sony

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #122 of 346
Necro time!

Because my stock pads are getting ripped out, and Sony does not want to sell me some, also, I don't feel like ordering a few in Japan because the shipping and handling costs more than the pads even if I bought three pairs, and lastly the sound of the CD900ST with the stock pads is getting bad because it is already thin due to wear and tear maybe? I bought fake pads from ebay instead. Well actually I bought two different kinds of pads for the CD900ST-- the other one is using protein leather or faux leather I think? Similar texture to that of Sony XB700/1000 pads.

I'll give quick impressions about the sound while changing the pads, do not take my word for it completely though since I only listened to them for a few minutes, before switching to the pad that I am going to use.

But first, I'll give the sound of the CD900ST with its current, worn-out pads. Due to wear I'm guessing, the pads become thin, making the drivers closer to my ear. So that awesome midrange is nowhere to be found majority of the time. When I listen to poorly recorded tracks, vocals become shouty and I have to turn down the volume for me to able to listn to those kinds of songs properly.

Lets go to the first set of replacement pads. This is probably the usual pads that we get from ebay for $1 to $3. I bought these set of pads for a low low price (sarcasm) of $6  simply because it was neatly packaged in a box, preventing it to be compressed in any way at all during transport. I recall measuring the stock pads and it is around 15mm thick, while these fake pads also measured 15mm thick according to the seller where I bought the pads when I inquired about it before buying.

For those who bought those kinds of pads before also probably know how it sounds, midrange is muffled and overall clarity/detail is lessend because of the dust cover being really thick, and it even has an unremovable padding that is made up of foam. I may need to cut those covers and attempt to stitch the stock CD900ST dust cover in those pads, or I'll just tape the stock pads on the earside baffle instead.

On the plus side, I kind of like how it sounds despite losing its clarity and midrange. Since the pads are thicker and also the cover is thicker, the "shoutiness" is definitely gone and it gives abit of headstage since the pads are thick. I'll post a pic later on how thin the stock pads are due to wear.

The second set of pads that I bought, is using different material altogether. Even the dust cover is different! The material used for the dust cover for these pads is really close to the stock pads, which is awesome. They also provided a separate foam instead  of stitching it at the back like the first pads i bought.

As for the sound, its obvious that it is not muffled since the dust cover is also thin, so it retains in detail and clarity, while also giving abit of better headstage since the drivers are farther from the ear compared to stock.

Lastly, both replacement pads' foam are somewhat stiff, I guess that is normal compared to the stock pads because these are new, and the stock pads is probably at least 3 years old. Stiff does not mean that it is uncomfortable though! It is still as good as the stock pads in terms of comfort.

I will "test drive" the leather pads after work, to see if it is indeed as comfortable as stock pads.

I'll also provide more pics from my potatocam when I'm at home, can't use my potatocam here in the office.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #124 of 346
This is my CD900ST, with mdr-1r earpad and foldable mode. I've tried z1000 cable but Furutech ADL iHP-35 is way much better in both bass and treble quality. Also the better cable can improve resolution greatly.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #125 of 346
^ Wow kudos for that setup, You have my envy.
redface.gif

But seriously, I suspect that SQ-wise those 1R pads don't do much good, if any, to the CD900st's most amazing midrange tonality.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #126 of 346
  ^ Wow kudos for that setup, You have my envy.
redface.gif

But seriously, I suspect that SQ-wise those 1R pads don't do much good, if any, to the CD900st's most amazing midrange tonality.

1r pads has better performance than beyerdynamic velour pads in mid-range. Actually the most significant change is bring by Furutech cable.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #127 of 346
I've received my CD900STs in the last week, and have been quite happy with them thus far. I also got me after-market ear pads (the YAXI earpads, coincidentally one of the most popular mods in Japan for these headphones), and it definitely was an improvement in terms of comfort. These are going to be on heavy rotation for a while as I gradually get used to the new audio setup at home. I doubt I'd be happier with anything else at the same price range (got them for Japanese retail price, as I live in Malaysia, and it's pretty simple to get them shipped direct)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #128 of 346
  This is my CD900ST, with mdr-1r earpad and foldable mode. I've tried z1000 cable but Furutech ADL iHP-35 is way much better in both bass and treble quality. Also the better cable can improve resolution greatly.

How did you actually swap out the cables? I haven't tried taking apart the housing on these yet, but is it relatively simple? I'm looking at using some higher-quality removable Sony cables if possible.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #129 of 346
It's called Cartonode Engineering, google it. Leave it to the professionals :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #131 of 346
Anyone owned a CD900ST where the box is brown, not white? I bought another one from Japan and they changed the box... Even the sound has changed by a bit, in a good way of course.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #133 of 346
I was looking for a new pair of close back headphone and ran into this thread while searching a week ago. After that, I went to order a pair from a Japanese guy on eBay, and I just received my pair to day. Loving it so far. It is so much lighter and look so much better on my head than ATH-A900X that I also love, but the AT looks ridiculous on my head, according to my office mate. It also has so much better seal than the AT. I like the flat, clear and details response. It has a lot more punch than some other studio monitor, flats headphones or IEMs, like for example Etymotic ER4S. It sounds like you are listening to a good pair of studio monitor speaker in a small recording room, seriously.

The only problem I have is that I have a big head and big earlobe, so the pad fit quite tightly. Also, I made mistake by pulling out the "For Digital" sticker which left sticker gunk on it. :frowning2:

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #134 of 346
Aww yiss, CD900STs in the house once again.

I won't be trading this away again. Probably. Certainly not for K501s, anyway.
mad.gif

Man, Joan Baez is flooring me with these. My previous few headphones had a bit of a sharp upper-mid range, so she didn't mesh well with them. This is perfect though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back