Sony MDR-CD570 for 13years, what now?
Jul 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Marmeldjuke

New Head-Fier
Hello you all!

I stumpled across this site while trying to find information about new headphones just by google. My find was, like boomana described in his "Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies", overwhelming. Overwhelming in a positive way, this must be my best find in sites since tweakguides.com & The Best Page In The Universe..

Very well then, I registered immediatly and I'll start my first post with buying myself a new pair of headphones because I think they deserve to be bought.

I have had myself a pair of Sony MDR-CD570 for the past 13 years. They sound amazing in my ears and the lightweight headpressure is great for long listening sessions. They have had some wear of course but they are neither broken or in any way worn to the level that they are not as enjoyable as when I bought them...paused for a minute to grab a good cold beer, hanging those cd570 up on my head and run "Within Temptation - Ice Queen" @ 963kbps

Now, I do not want to REPLACE these mdr-cd570, I want to find something similar or perhaps something that enhances the same pleasure these phones have given me. After reading boomanas post about this forum I cannot say how enthusiastic I feel about digging into a universe I did not think existed. I am myself an pc-technician and have other technical enthusiastic endevours and im glad I found another
k701smile.gif

Some profile facts:

*When it comes to sound and many other things I am a true believer that quality is in the "eye" of the beholder. If you like it (whatever it is) buy it! I dont mind spending big dollars or Kronor in this case (sweden) for a piece of hardware that I will use for the next 10 years or my whole lifetime if you would like.

*I treat all my things; tools, electronic hardware, furniture etc with the greatest care. I do not leave many things to chance, I clean them, place them beyond harms way on shelves, beyond dust, well cooled (if it runs hot) In general you can say I have a very good feeling about preserving things that can last a lifetime if threated such. Treating cables like this ie: http://images.tradera.com/940/84946940_1.jpg is beyond me.

*I really enjoy listening to Iron Maiden, Dio and several other rock bands from the 70-80's.

*I also enjoy breathtaking basspunching GOA and psychedelic trance from the 90's, the old type, not the new ground type of....uhm, honestly. I dont know what it is anylonger. Destination Goa 1-11 describes quite good what I like in this category or pinpointed down to ie. MFG - Inspiration, Hallucinogen - space ***** & good old Astral Projection etc.

*I also use my headphones while playing pc-games (for the reason of discretion)

Some sound related hardware that I have:
X-fi X.Gamer
Yamaha RX-V3800 surr. reciever.
Infinity Beta series speakers.
Logitech z5500 5.1 pc sound system
Sony MDR-CD570 headphones

What else is there I could provide that could help those of you here, help me pinpoint what I am looking for? I have had a glimpse at Sony MDR-SA5000 & MDR-XB700 and the price difference is quite odd you might think but the xb700 gave me a feel it provides good physical comfort. Also, I noticed Skorpitarius is selling a pair of the SA5000 which sound very appealing to me.

So, what do you have to say guys? You probably call me a wierdo for making such a biggie...

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 6
From what I read, SA5000 will have some relatively good speed and clarity for metal and rock you're talking about, but Im not sure whether they will give you the breathtaking basspunch you desire.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read, SA5000 will have some relatively good speed and clarity for metal and rock you're talking about, but Im not sure whether they will give you the breathtaking basspunch you desire.

That is actually the idea I got aswell according to a review I read on a site I cannot remember. When you say "speed" what do you mean?

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Actually they do have pretty intense bass punch, depending on what source material you're working with and what the SA-5000 is plugged into ...

I am selling it yes, any takers ?!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 6
also - the SA-5000 is really really fast .. like , almost electro-stat fast ...honest .

they are for sale, as I say ... step right up ... I have a big ugly hospital bill that I need to pay ... thus, why I'm selling them ... nothing wrong with them at all and no scratches or anything at all ....

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 6
hehe, I've had a MDR-CD1000 for +10 years as well
smily_headphones1.gif

these are baby CD3000(which is a deluxe version of the CD1000 w/ better cable and heavier cups), and just sounded really really good(crazy sounstage!), so why bother I figured?

but for bassy music it simply lacked A LOT, like the SA5k prolly will.

everything I was hoping to get from an upgrade is in my current DT770/600Ω w/ leather headband/ear pads.....because one friggin' annoying thing on the SONY was that the ear pads would turn into zillion little black pieces every 9 months on average
evil_smiley.gif

I dunno what your needs are, but you should try the DT880/600Ω...or 770 if you need closed. you get good bass, good soundstage and great comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back