Sony MDR-CD3000 technical questions
Oct 28, 2002 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm contemplating getting a pair of CD3000 cans to try out (mail order, 14 days to return & get a refund).

However, there are still some things I'd like to know, before I order this set of headphones:

- Is the CD3000 headphone cable with one ground wire or does it include separate ground wires for each channel?

- What is a decent amp to demo this unit with (Corda Headamp?)

- Any things in particular I should try to listen for (considering the known dislikes by many members towards CD3000)?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Regards,
Halcyon

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 5
I haven't opened the cable to know. However, I believe that it is a four-conductor cable with the grounds combined at the phone plug. A three-conductor cable is possible, however, so someone who has opened them up could say more.

I particularly like the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 with this headphone. The person who sold me the EAR HP4, and has the W2002, is now using the X-Can/CD-3000 combo and loves it (He discovered this combo completely independent of me). His W2002 may soon be for sale. The Berning MicroZOTL can be superb with the right tubes, but can also be overly bright with the wrong ones. Horrible with Grado RA-1.

If the CD3000 is not performing at its best, it has a tendency to show a bright treble region. The midrange becomes thin and sounds recessed. The bass can be lean and unimpressive. If the CD3000 is paired with an amp that drives it properly, it can be very neutral, with extremely good detailing, and a bass response that's deep and has great impact.

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Hirsch,

thank you very much for your comments. I have a couple of additional questions though
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you tell me what version of X-Cans is this person using with CD3000?

Can you PM his/her name? I *might* be interested in those W2002 phones...

I have posted a PM to bakhtiar about the cables. He seems to have fixed his CD3000 cables, so maybe he knows.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Halcyon

PS I only came to this forum to find out about neutral headphones for certain type of testing and now in addition to that I find myself buying a new set of headphones for music enjoyment along with a headphone amp. No offence, but this site is a contagious disease. *Sigh*
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 5
He's using the v2. I'll contact him and find out what he wants to do.

Tell me about what this site does to you
tongue.gif
A couple of years ago I had a modest little headphone setup...oh well, I've done my part to stimulate the industry
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Hirsch,

thank you for the information and W2002 contact.

I'm afraid W2002 is still out of my price range and will probably remain so.

I've been seriously considering CD3000 from Sony or even try some of the cheaper AT cans on a hunch (W1000, perhaps).

However, I'm still concerned about cable induced cross talk.

Does anybody know what construction Audio Technica or Sony use in their higher end headphones?

Do they have a common ground wire? What kind of cable geometry is used?

Sony seems to advertize litz configuration for CD3000, but it still doesn't very high immunity to cable cross-talk, AFAIK.

I'd really appreciate if somebody who has cut his Sony or Audio Technica cables could chime in and tell us what's inside.

Additionally, if anybody has changed the cable completely for their Audio Technica or Sony CD3000 headphones, I'd like to hear what kind of operation (how easy/successful) that was.

regards,
Halcyon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back