Sony MDR-AS800AP: Not to be underestimated
Sep 24, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 46
The Sennheiser ie800`s and Dunu dn2000j both have a similar signature, emphasis on sub bass, neutral mid bass, emphasis on clarity and treble a tad lifted too. A cheaper option could be the Yamaha eph-100`s though I haven`t heard them myself. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #34 of 46
Awesome! Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

to me the eph 100 sounds nothing like the a8000

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #35 of 46
Just got a Slick deals email notification. The AS800APs are $39.99 again on Groupon.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #37 of 46
Nice! Have you had the chance to try out these yet? Even with the FXH30, and now the CKR9LTDs, in my possession these are still a great sounding iem. Easily worth the 40 bucks IMO.

Not gotten to try them out yet.  Thinking about selling off some IEMs actually.  Don't have time to listen to them all.  

Right now, I'm splitting my time between Rock Zircons and ALI-CKR9LTDs.  Love them both.  Zircons have lush mids, non-fatiguing treble with elevated bass and wide sound stage.  ALI-CKR9LTDs are more balanced, isolate better and just sound great overall.  IMHO the Zircons have the edge for "fun" factor.  In the end, I think they compliment one another quite well.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #38 of 46
Anyone think the new EX750AP will be something like a better AS800AP?? We'll see in a couple of weeks probably:)

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #39 of 46
  Anyone think the new EX750AP will be something like a better AS800AP?? We'll see in a couple of weeks probably:)

I'm curious about that too. My local Sony resellers all have the EX750AP in stock, but they all refuse to put demo units out on display, so I can't comment.
And I can't just blind buy because I need the noise-cancelling version more (either the EX750NA, or their close cousin, the NC750/NW750).

EDIT -- 
I heard the EX750AP today and I actually thought the AS800AP sounds a little better. The EX750 feels very "dry" with few flourish or pizzazz. The raw quality is probably not bad, but it seems kinda suboptimal for vocals, any jazz, slower or more emotional stuff. It's nicer with EDM and J-pop-style mixing but there are more "interesting" options out there, perhaps a bit lower in raw quality but renders with a little more subjective intrigue.

This $90-100 bracket still sees Sony a little "off" or lost about how much quality they're willing to offer for the price. I know the demo unit most likely hasn't been burned-in yet, but it's a little hard to recommend considering you could pay more/similar for the XBA-A1 or pay less for the EX650.

I'll audition the EX750 again in future months to see if my impression changes.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #40 of 46
Bringing up as a bit of a necro post, the EX750 and NC750 are not the same beasts, the EX750 sound a little humdrum compared to the NC750, which has as much energy, if not more than the IE800 (but annoyingly only seem to be compatible with the Xperia Z5)...

Would love to get my hands on the WM750, so as to have the whole set (having the NC, EX and MH750s), but they appear to be rarer than a winning lottery ticket!

Tempted to try the 800s too...

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 46
Personally, I found the AS800 painful to listen to. The treble is overly harsh at many times, and bass goes crazy.
Yes, I am more of a neutral fan(I'm used to UERM and HD800), but even compared to the SBH80, the AS800 was quite lacking. I guess if you're looking for a V shaped IEM, AS800s are for you. But if you prefer a more refined sound, you should go for the SBH80. I objectively think that SBH80s are better souding(and they're cheaper too). The SBH80 has no peaks, although the treble might feel laid back(they do extend very very well though).

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #42 of 46
Personally, I found the AS800 painful to listen to. The treble is overly harsh at many times, and bass goes crazy.
Yes, I am more of a neutral fan(I'm used to UERM and HD800), but even compared to the SBH80, the AS800 was quite lacking. I guess if you're looking for a V shaped IEM, AS800s are for you. But if you prefer a more refined sound, you should go for the SBH80. I objectively think that SBH80s are better souding(and they're cheaper too). The SBH80 has no peaks, although the treble might feel laid back(they do extend very very well though).

Goes to show that everyone hears differently. Can't really agree with any of your thoughts on the AS800AP.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #43 of 46
Since kimvictor mentioned the sbh80 it begs to ask if it is the AS800BT or the AS800AP. AP would sound better and might explain. Or not but I do know that for SQ you don't want the BT. At least based on the reviews i have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back