Sony MDR-7520
Jul 25, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,506 of 2,535
Is it an improvement over 7510? I have them. they are really "dark" or "grey" hard to describe. Soundstage seems a bit narrow. Never tired the 7506. I use headphones mostly for sound production (writting a whole track on it, mixing etc)

I also have the akg 371 but these make me hear my own heartbeat for some reason. I think I cannot use these squishy foam pads because they create this effect on me. The membrane type pads of these sonys make it less noticeable. What I really like about these is the short cable option tho. Because the cable on Sonys is so annoying.
7506 is better than 7510 in a way. Don't know why SONY even produced that specific cans but it was a waste. See they are not much better than 7506 and has nothing significant to offer and are comparatively dull with no noticeable(very little if any) improvement in clarity but are priced almost double.

7520 are on a completely different level. Very high on detail, clarity, precision and being flat out neutral. The quality of the bass, it may not hit continuously with the quantity but where it matters it packs real punch and brings up the quality without losing any detail. Many think that there are harsh but that is not the case at all. The 7520 has very smooth treble roll off without having sudden peak or drop in that region which gives best detail retrieval at high end. But they are unforgiving. The midrange is spot on it is not recessed or forward it is detailed I know some people like to have a little bump in lower mids to get more detail but 7520 offers that detail and clarity with accuracy without having that bump. Perfect imaging it is simply perfect. But most interesting part is that it has wide and deep sound-stage of any decent closed back headphones, I was surprised with that have you had experience with HD660S or HD650 this is as good as them in sound-stage( I know HD660S and HD650 are not very good on sound-stage for open-backs but they are better than closed-backs and here I am comparing a closed back 7520 to them).

You can swap out the cable on 7520. But I use stock pads only and I already ordered three pair of stock ear-pads and stored them. For me the audio quality coming from paired stock pads is worthy over having comfy ear pads and ruining the sound signature. Sadly 7520 has been discontinued. Bad move on SONY's part.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,507 of 2,535
There was some discussion of pad upgrades for the 7520 earlier on in the thread, but it kind of died out. Well, my stock pads were starting to flake pretty badly so I picked up some basic HPAEC440 pads for Shure SRH440 and I'm happy to report that they seem to be a net improvement over my aging stock pads.

Pros:
-Thicker than stock (this may change over time), so for those of you who have a comfort issue with your ear touching the driver, this may help.
-Noticeable increase in soundstage size.
-Possible increase in imaging accuracy.
-Very comfortable. Clamping is a bit tighter because of the increased thickness, but this doesn't bother me.

Cons:
-Bass is a bit less controlled. The punch is still there, but it's less controlled... is this what is referred to as "woolly" or "fuzzy"? It's slight, but noticeable.
-The Shure pads are slightly more round than the stock pads, so the fit along the sides isn't as good (they sort of stick out a small bit on the sides). Good overall fit, though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210922_085106185.jpg
    PXL_20210922_085106185.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210922_101008358.jpg
    PXL_20210922_101008358.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210922_101028109.jpg
    PXL_20210922_101028109.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #2,508 of 2,535
I love that this thread is still getting new occasional posts. I still use these cans from time to time, but not as much, as these days I prefer open cans (mainly because my ears don't get as hot. I prefer comfort more than anything these days).

@TopPop i think I use these same pads on my 7520 (but not sure, it's been many years). Bass became slightly less refined, but the improvement in comfort was worth it to me at the time (and still is).

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,509 of 2,535
I love that this thread is still getting new occasional posts. I still use these cans from time to time, but not as much, as these days I prefer open cans (mainly because my ears don't get as hot. I prefer comfort more than anything these days).

@TopPop i think I use these same pads on my 7520 (but not sure, it's been many years). Bass became slightly less refined, but the improvement in comfort was worth it to me at the time (and still is).
They really are fantastic headphones. I use them in my home office, but use Beyerdynamic Amiron Home in my actual office. Both are really great at what they do, and the Amirons are the most comfortable cans that have ever graced my noggin.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,511 of 2,535
There was some discussion of pad upgrades for the 7520 earlier on in the thread, but it kind of died out. Well, my stock pads were starting to flake pretty badly so I picked up some basic HPAEC440 pads for Shure SRH440 and I'm happy to report that they seem to be a net improvement over my aging stock pads.

Pros:
-Thicker than stock (this may change over time), so for those of you who have a comfort issue with your ear touching the driver, this may help.
-Noticeable increase in soundstage size.
-Possible increase in imaging accuracy.
-Very comfortable. Clamping is a bit tighter because of the increased thickness, but this doesn't bother me.

Cons:
-Bass is a bit less controlled. The punch is still there, but it's less controlled... is this what is referred to as "woolly" or "fuzzy"? It's slight, but noticeable.
-The Shure pads are slightly more round than the stock pads, so the fit along the sides isn't as good (they sort of stick out a small bit on the sides). Good overall fit, though.
I ordered 3 Pairs of Stock Pads from SONY before they were discontinued. I hate to change the Sound Signature of these Perfect headphones in anyways.
I bet they will last me good Decade or Two.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,514 of 2,535
After quite a bit of listening (Spotify "very high" and vinyl), the initial sound differences remain to my ear. Although the less defined bass is somewhat annoying, the improvement to sound stage size and imaging accuracy makes the Shure pads a more enjoyable listening experience to me.

I think this is purely a function of increased driver distance due to pad thickness, so the differences between the stock pads and the Shure pads will most likely diminish over time as the pads begin to compress.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #2,515 of 2,535
7506 is better than 7510 in a way. Don't know why SONY even produced that specific cans but it was a waste. See they are not much better than 7506 and has nothing significant to offer and are comparatively dull with no noticeable(very little if any) improvement in clarity but are priced almost double.

7520 are on a completely different level. Very high on detail, clarity, precision and being flat out neutral. The quality of the bass, it may not hit continuously with the quantity but where it matters it packs real punch and brings up the quality without losing any detail. Many think that there are harsh but that is not the case at all. The 7520 has very smooth treble roll off without having sudden peak or drop in that region which gives best detail retrieval at high end. But they are unforgiving. The midrange is spot on it is not recessed or forward it is detailed I know some people like to have a little bump in lower mids to get more detail but 7520 offers that detail and clarity with accuracy without having that bump. Perfect imaging it is simply perfect. But most interesting part is that it has wide and deep sound-stage of any decent closed back headphones, I was surprised with that have you had experience with HD660S or HD650 this is as good as them in sound-stage( I know HD660S and HD650 are not very good on sound-stage for open-backs but they are better than closed-backs and here I am comparing a closed back 7520 to them).

You can swap out the cable on 7520. But I use stock pads only and I already ordered three pair of stock ear-pads and stored them. For me the audio quality coming from paired stock pads is worthy over having comfy ear pads and ruining the sound signature. Sadly 7520 has been discontinued. Bad move on SONY's part.
In which way would the 7506 be better?
The 7510 for me have a sort of "dark" sound, nothing stands out. I guess this is good for mixing which is what I do. I do 100% everything with electronic instruments, and I mix in the computer. I don't use any hardware, real instruments. I don't want any exaggerated EQ.

Anyway, how about the CD900st? I see they still sell it. Im curious. But I wonder how good such an ancient headphone can be. Specially soundstage and so on. They look really plasticky.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,516 of 2,535
In which way would the 7506 be better?
The 7510 for me have a sort of "dark" sound, nothing stands out. I guess this is good for mixing which is what I do. I do 100% everything with electronic instruments, and I mix in the computer. I don't use any hardware, real instruments. I don't want any exaggerated EQ.

Anyway, how about the CD900st? I see they still sell it. Im curious. But I wonder how good such an ancient headphone can be. Specially soundstage and so on. They look really plasticky.
What SONY did to level the frequency range to bring up little more detail(hardly considered as worthy improvement) in 7510 they made it dull pulling down the brighter aspects of the 7506 so that all the details through out the frequency range can be picked up when we put them to critical listening and concentrate on the aspects we are looking for. What other brands do to level the frequency range to bring out more detail is to bring up the entire frequency range and lifting it up making it brighter to listen. SONY did the opposite to achieve same goal. Yes it is more detailed than 7506 but not by much at the cost of being dull. The Vocals that pop in 7506 become kinda lifeless in 7510. See what 7510 is better is to cover and check all the instruments being recorded without any loss. But if you wanna add bit more life to it while caring about the most important instruments in the mix 7506 is better. It all comes down to what is more important for the situation.

CD900st I have no experience with them. Sorry I cannot comment on them. Besides the cable I am not worried about anything else on these SONY monitors.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,517 of 2,535
What SONY did to level the frequency range to bring up little more detail(hardly considered as worthy improvement) in 7510 they made it dull pulling down the brighter aspects of the 7506 so that all the details through out the frequency range can be picked up when we put them to critical listening and concentrate on the aspects we are looking for. What other brands do to level the frequency range to bring out more detail is to bring up the entire frequency range and lifting it up making it brighter to listen. SONY did the opposite to achieve same goal. Yes it is more detailed than 7506 but not by much at the cost of being dull. The Vocals that pop in 7506 become kinda lifeless in 7510. See what 7510 is better is to cover and check all the instruments being recorded without any loss. But if you wanna add bit more life to it while caring about the most important instruments in the mix 7506 is better. It all comes down to what is more important for the situation.

CD900st I have no experience with them. Sorry I cannot comment on them. Besides the cable I am not worried about anything else on these SONY monitors.

Now the question would be: where does the m1st fit in there? I see it's pretty much the same MDR style/line. It is the last MDR headphone? if things made sense, it would be the best at least on paper. By "the last" I mean that had this same old school looking style.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,518 of 2,535
Now the question would be: where does the m1st fit in there? I see it's pretty much the same MDR style/line. It is the last MDR headphone? if things made sense, it would be the best at least on paper. By "the last" I mean that had this same old school looking style.
M1ST was made to be bit bright and joyful monitors and a little bass-heavy. But still it retains good detail. It is not harsh and has decent roll off but a little detail is lost at the high end treble region. Imaging is decent but not as good as 7520 or even Audio Technica MSR7. Sound-stage is decent for closed back but no where near 7520 level. But comparing to 7510, M1ST is better for sure. Would pick M1ST over 7510.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back