Sony MDR-7520
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,387 of 2,535
Hey guys!!

If you had to chose between the hd 600 or the mdr 7520's as your only headphone for audio production , specifically house music which would it be ??

I just ordered both but really only have a budget to keep one ,

The reason i want to return the sennheisers are because i bought it for $399 but the next day the price dropped to $349 , and amazon wont give me a partial refund unless i return it and order it again at the cheaper price

alternatively sony mdr-7520's go for $600 in canadian shops but i got a deal at $450 in an american online retailer

I am kind of leaning toward the mdr's because i have heard nothing but appraise in the low end .

I also bought the jds labs objective 2 on cyber monday.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,388 of 2,535
Hey guys!!

If you had to chose between the hd 600 or the mdr 7520's as your only headphone for audio production , specifically house music which would it be ??

I just ordered both but really only have a budget to keep one ,

That's a bit steep for the 7520s, but they can be hard to find. This is still an easy choice - 7520. Specifically as you are producing house. The HD600 does not go low enough, and EQing the bass on the 600 it will make it bleed into the mid bass. 600 is still great for production, but for different reasons. The 7520 you'll need to learn it like any tool but it will be great for production purposes

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,389 of 2,535
That's a bit steep for the 7520s, but they can be hard to find. This is still an easy choice - 7520. Specifically as you are producing house. The HD600 does not go low enough, and EQing the bass on the 600 it will make it bleed into the mid bass. 600 is still great for production, but for different reasons. The 7520 you'll need to learn it like any tool but it will be great for production purposes
expensive everywhere else ! Everything cost twice as much in canada haha , thanks for reassuring me i think ill stick with the 7520's in that case especially considering its 24 ohms meaning i can spend a lot of time with it using it on multiple devices like my laptop or phone without sacrificing the sound .

I guess i couldn't go wrong with the hd-600 its definitely the more popular headphone and seems to be the most readily available but that just means it will always be there if i want to give it another shot

The opportunity to use a mdr 7520's seem to be more limited which attracts me to it more so here goes nothing.

Fyi i never owned a device where the bass area was its strong point , the rokit 5's or the dt880's all lacked in bass so im ready for a change.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,390 of 2,535
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #2,392 of 2,535
You can find good deals here though, I'm in Edmonton. Where you from?
i know axe music which is based out of Alberta was selling the 7520's three or four years ago for about $357 , so i am pretty gutted in not taking the plunge then.

they no longer carry it, only the 7510's and you would have to make a special order which would take up to 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,393 of 2,535
I also forgot to mention, that you may not need the O2 now if you are solely using the 7520. Seriously these are incredibly easy to power headphones, and despite what you read here on head-fi a dedicated amp isn’t going to bring some missing magic to headphones that are this efficient. I imagine you have a decent sound card? Even small units from Native Instruments can power this. It will sound loud and full out of an iPad or out of any music equipment.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,394 of 2,535
i agree malfunkt...don't think any big ass amp is to change the tone of them much given they're so easy to drive.

when i was using them (hardly at all admittedly, mostly use speakers at home or iems on the road)
i was driving them out of my mojo/ipod stack.
easy to drive...impedence is 24ohms.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-MDR7520/
update...just sold mine to a fellow hardworking Vancouverite.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #2,395 of 2,535
Hi, I made a thread back in october asking what headphone I should buy that has deep bass extension and mids that aren't recessed. So after reading a few replies, the two headphones I was directed towards were the Shure SRH1540 and Sony MDR-7520.

I've read Malfunkt's excellent review and the 7520 does sound like something that would be good for me - however, I will be using these strictly for home listening. I bring this up because I'm thinking these headphones might just work perfectly for the genres I listen to and (hopefully) shouldn't sound inaccurate.

Right now I'm using the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 and I'm mostly happy with their sound, except one thing: They lack deep bass extension. In fact, all of the headphones I've ever owned have. Ideally I would want something like the MSR7, but with good sub-bass and preferably not quite as bright.

I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore music (a good mid-range is essential for me here), but really want to be able to feel the lower end details of ambient and electronic music, as well as in movies.

As it turns out I literally cannot find one seller in Australia for the 7520 which means it seems like I'll have to resort to Amazon US. It's likely I would end up spending over $400 AUD on the 7520 (without being able to try them first) but the Focal Spirit Professional is $400 as well (from an Australian retailer), and the Shure SRH1540 $600-700.

Therefore, is the Sony MDR-7520 right for me just for listening at home, or should I consider an alternative (Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Professional, something else)?

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,396 of 2,535
Hi, I made a thread back in october asking what headphone I should buy that has deep bass extension and mids that aren't recessed. So after reading a few replies, the two headphones I was directed towards were the Shure SRH1540 and Sony MDR-7520.

I've read Malfunkt's excellent review and the 7520 does sound like something that would be good for me - however, I will be using these strictly for home listening. I bring this up because I'm thinking these headphones might just work perfectly for the genres I listen to and (hopefully) shouldn't sound inaccurate.

Right now I'm using the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 and I'm mostly happy with their sound, except one thing: They lack deep bass extension. In fact, all of the headphones I've ever owned have. Ideally I would want something like the MSR7, but with good sub-bass and preferably not quite as bright.

I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore music (a good mid-range is essential for me here), but really want to be able to feel the lower end details of ambient and electronic music, as well as in movies.

As it turns out I literally cannot find one seller in Australia for the 7520 which means it seems like I'll have to resort to Amazon US. It's likely I would end up spending over $400 AUD on the 7520 (without being able to try them first) but the Focal Spirit Professional is $400 as well (from an Australian retailer), and the Shure SRH1540 $600-700.

Therefore, is the Sony MDR-7520 right for me just for listening at home, or should I consider an alternative (Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Professional, something else)?
Hello. To my taste and from my amp 7520 may sound a bit too bright in rock and metal music, especially if recorded badly and dirty (which is total, by the way) and I would better recommend you a more dark headphones with even more bass. Like the Pioneer HDJ-2000 (first model MK1, that is important!)

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,397 of 2,535
There are a lot of good headphones out there but here are some options:

the 7520 is not as bright as the MSR7 but just as detailed. It is a pretty pricey option

A lot of newer store bought headphones are quite good though. Sometimes some cheaper headphones can work out.

Sennheiser HD4.30 - this is the wired version and fairly inexpensive. See if you can audition this as it has plenty of bass volume, decent extension but otherwise quite linear. Not a bad headphone at all especially for the price.

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - another consumer can that actually would give the 7520 a run for its money. Is more rolled off on the highs so a bit softer. Really nice balance.

Check out PSB M4U - I think PSB is coming out with a new version.

Do you need closed?

If you are going to be spending that much I would go for the Audeze LCD2C. Pretty much endgame. Will extend lower than the 7520

Of course HD650 is an awesome choice.

Semi closed headphones - If you can get a pair of Denon AH-D2000, D5000 used these are awesome headphones with excellent bass extension. There are newer models made by Fostex TH610 and E-Mu Teak.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,398 of 2,535
There are a lot of good headphones out there but here are some options:

the 7520 is not as bright as the MSR7 but just as detailed. It is a pretty pricey option

A lot of newer store bought headphones are quite good though. Sometimes some cheaper headphones can work out.

Sennheiser HD4.30 - this is the wired version and fairly inexpensive. See if you can audition this as it has plenty of bass volume, decent extension but otherwise quite linear. Not a bad headphone at all especially for the price.

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - another consumer can that actually would give the 7520 a run for its money. Is more rolled off on the highs so a bit softer. Really nice balance.

Check out PSB M4U - I think PSB is coming out with a new version.

Do you need closed?

If you are going to be spending that much I would go for the Audeze LCD2C. Pretty much endgame. Will extend lower than the 7520

Of course HD650 is an awesome choice.

Semi closed headphones - If you can get a pair of Denon AH-D2000, D5000 used these are awesome headphones with excellent bass extension. There are newer models made by Fostex TH610 and E-Mu Teak.

Not exactly sure about the Denons (only listened to a D2000 and D7000 once) but the Fostex headphones (as a TH600 are brighter than the MDR7520's with a slightly sucked out mid (U-shaped but somewhat neutral).

If Limbiomatic is fine with open back headphones a Planar might be a better choice. Do you have an amp (stereo amp or headphone amp)?

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,399 of 2,535
Not exactly sure about the Denons (only listened to a D2000 and D7000 once) but the Fostex headphones (as a TH600 are brighter than the MDR7520's with a slightly sucked out mid (U-shaped but somewhat neutral).

If Limbiomatic is fine with open back headphones a Planar might be a better choice. Do you have an amp (stereo amp or headphone amp)?

That's a good point, yes the D2000 does have detailed and elevated upper treble.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2,400 of 2,535
Hi, yes I would prefer closed but I may be willing to switch to open. There's no reason why I can't - but all the outside noises (wind, cars, neighbours) and even people in my house talking can bother me.

I'm using the Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2 headphone amplifier and DAC, respectively.

My budget is preferably under $1000 AUD, for reference the LCD2C is ~$800.

As far as treble goes, I couldn't cope with the DT990 for long listening sessions (or really at all), but the MSR7 is okay for most songs I listen to. So I think as long as the treble isn't harsh like the DT990s I should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back