Sony MDR-7520
Aug 11, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2,071 of 2,535
OK,

Just asking.... Any of the 7520 owners heard the OPPO PM3? If so, what are your thoughts? I am looking at the PM3 as my next can. While I do love the 7520, the lack of soundstage  and a slight treble spike can be a bit annoying sometimes.

I still enjoy the bass and mids on these, but wonder if the Oppo can match the bass and smooth out the issues I have with them.

Dudlew

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,072 of 2,535
OK,

Just asking.... Any of the 7520 owners heard the OPPO PM3? If so, what are your thoughts? I am looking at the PM3 as my next can. While I do love the 7520, the lack of soundstage  and a slight treble spike can be a bit annoying sometimes.

I still enjoy the bass and mids on these, but wonder if the Oppo can match the bass and smooth out the issues I have with them.

Dudlew

The pm-3's destroy them in all categories and especially in comfort and portability. But not in soundstage, but their resolution and detail are superb. And they are much smoother and more forgiving in the upper treble. Some people say they roll off but I disagree. There is just as much detail, just without sibilance.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #2,073 of 2,535
The pm-3's destroy them in all categories and especially in comfort and portability. But not in soundstage, but their resolution and detail are superb. And they are much smoother and more forgiving in the upper treble. Some people say they roll off but I disagree. There is just as much detail, just without sibilance.

So the Soundstage is the same or worse. Compared to the Shure SRH440, the 7520 sounds pretty closed in and lacking in space, but the bass and mids of the Sony destroy the Shures.... if there is no improvement in soundstage..... well.... hmmm.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #2,074 of 2,535
So the Soundstage is the same or worse. Compared to the Shure SRH440, the 7520 sounds pretty closed in and lacking in space, but the bass and mids of the Sony destroy the Shures.... if there is no improvement in soundstage..... well.... hmmm.

Personally, I believe soundstage has less to do with the quality of the headphones and more to do with the distance from the ears to the drivers. You can increase the soundstage by just slightly pulling the earpads away from your head. If Oppo had made thicker and/or firmer earpads, then I believe most would say that the soundstage was rather large. it seems like those who have small heads and no issues with clamping force, say the pm-3's have a good soundstage. Everything is relative and subjective to the user, but I think soundstage as a metric, is about like choosing a headphone based on its color.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2,075 of 2,535
Personally, I believe soundstage has less to do with the quality of the headphones and more to do with the distance from the ears to the drivers. You can increase the soundstage by just slightly pulling the earpads away from your head. If Oppo had made thicker and/or firmer earpads, then I believe most would say that the soundstage was rather large. it seems like those who have small heads and no issues with clamping force, say the pm-3's have a good soundstage. Everything is relative and subjective to the user, but I think soundstage as a metric, is about like choosing a headphone based on its color.

In general I think soundstage in headhpones is overrated.  It will never ever beat a pair of speakers in soundstage and I think you shouldn't even want to have it that much.  And again, if you do want something that's like soundstage, get open cans, it's the only way to go.  Closed cans and soundstage (or worse, IEMs and soundstage) will not happen.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,076 of 2,535

In general I think soundstage in headhpones is overrated.  It will never ever beat a pair of speakers in soundstage and I think you shouldn't even want to have it that much.  And again, if you do want something that's like soundstage, get open cans, it's the only way to go.  Closed cans and soundstage (or worse, IEMs and soundstage) will not happen.

Its not that I totally disagree with you... just that I compared two closed cans side by side and the 7520 just came up short in that department. So to me, its evident that there is better to be had than the 7520 in terms of soundstage from closed cans.

I know it will never beat a pair of speakers.... I am very familiar with some decent stuff.... B&W CDM7se, Dynaudio Audience 50, NHT ST4 and some cheap mission speakers that I use for my computer setup. Not even the visceral nature of the bass of a speaker can be matched by any headphone I have ever heard, which is admittedly not much.

However, If I can get a bit more, I will take it. It does add to the overall sound and impression of the music. When I did the comparison, I listened to Hotel California Live by the eagles. The mids, the bass of the 7520 were really good to me and there was a body to the sound that the shure could not match... but the shure sounded like it was in a live venue, while the Sony sounded like it was in a small studio with just a little reverb. The sense of space was just not there. and the 440 was a closed can as well.

also there are other issues that I stated I had with the 7520, but I dont see the sense to upgrade to something that sounds even more closed in than what i already have even if it does everything else a bit better. The soundstage leads to a certain realism in the sound that i would like. 

Also, with two kids and working in an office with other people, open cans are just not much of an option for me. I need a headphone that will work well and be closed. I dont expect speaker soundstage, just some more, with some more refinement in the treble, a little less boomy bass and more control when the volume wick turns up to loudish levels, an issue that does bug me just a bit.

I love the 7520, its the best phone I have and I use it exclusively, it does well for recording from the few tests that I have done, and its great to listen to, but as my ears get accustomed, and my experience grows, I start to see a few flaws, and just want to know if there are ways to get it. I unfortunately have to buy blind..... bought all my cans blind... so usually rely on u guys to stare me in the right direction.

I know it sounds like a rant, but just explaining myself more and letting you guys know my thoughts and expectations. I value your opinions, but may not necessarily agree with them.

Dualew

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #2,077 of 2,535
Personally I really like the "soundstage" of my 7520. It has good height and decent depth it's just the width that is abysmal. I do prefer that tho, as something like my k701 have a very wide stage but everything sounds too far away and it has no balls. I don't have the PM3s but from a brief audition it sounded like a closed portable headphone so not much width at all, instrument separation good and imaging was ok, but so is the Sony in those areas so I think they're just about a wash and if you crave more soundstage then the Oppos aren't really it IMO. I'd steer more towards something like the Shure 1540, which are uber comfy and combines a good bass experience with a big expansive soundstage.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #2,078 of 2,535
Having A/Bed the two, I would say that the PM-3s are technically better by a slight margin against the 7520s in every category except soundstage. While gaping wide soundstage is overrated, the PM-3's sound was just too close for me. I would describe the sound as thick, and I prefer my sound to have a bit of airiness and breathing room. If that doesn't bother you though, it should be fine. I hope Oppo makes a successor to the PM-3 with that wider sound stage. I would buy that headphone in a heartbeat.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,079 of 2,535
So,

After multi test phase with Green, Red and Yellow TB Tubing, Yellow is the winner for me. It does not change the sound much.. and if it does, it's in a nice "deep" way..
Talking about the sound stage, The Tubing enhance it a little bit... so you may check this out for 4€45 on Ebay port included from UK to France. (  50 Cm Yellow Thera Band Tubing )

Thanks Jackson1 & StudioSOund !

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,080 of 2,535
MDR-7520 early impressions and Amperior stand-off.

I’ll get it out of the way, the 7520 strikes me immediately as one of the best-closed studio cans. In this comparison while I enjoyed the lower depth of the 7520, I prefer the Amperiors ergonomics & comfort. 

I thinks its important to preface why I purchased these. I do a bit of music production primarily piano and electronic, and I need closed-back headphones from time-to-time so I can focus and not leak sound to bother others. I’ve owned many studio cans (V6, K271, 7506, 7550, HD25, SRH840) so I’m familiar with them. The only one in my possession right now is an Amperior, which is more hyped than the HD25, but with greater clarity and precision. Its frequency curve is not as flat as I’m used to, but it seems to work pretty well for music creation. The 7520 has long been a recommendation among studio head-fiers and fellow gearslutz, so when the opportunity came up I grabbed a gently used pair.

Comfort, build and ergonomics

I’m a bit worried, as my ears are already slightly cramped in the cups. This isn’t the kinda of comfort I’ve had before with closed cans (AH-D600 being insanely comfortable, and Shure SRH-840 also very good). I remember my old MDR-7506 being not so comfortable, and these are better. Still, picking headphones is much like choosing a pair of shoes. 

They can sit around your neck but not comfortably so unless you have a very skinny neck. They are surprisingly light, more so than the Amperior whose thicker aluminum cups weigh it down. Chord is built for utility and easy to replace, I like that, but it has to be said the chord is heavy enough to tug an iPhone down off the table if not careful. Its the standard coiled studio cable which has a real purpose as it gives it some slack while letting you know its about to knock down a mic stand, cup of coffee, etc. Easily replaced with a lighter cable though. 

Headband, not so keen on. It is comfortable, but I get a feeling it may wear after a while. With the Amperior, this isn’t going to be a problem as you can just replace the padding strips if you need to. The 7520 is also too bulky to lie in bed with, whereas that is possible with the Amperior. Not a big deal. This headphone is really designed for studio use. 

My ears also starting getting sweaty with the 7520, with the Amperior this is much less the case. 

Sometimes you just have to adjust to things, like I did with my LCD2 and Emperor, both of which feel quite comfortable now.

Sound-quality

I was surprised that these were not as bright and lively as the Amperiors. There are actually some similarities between the presentation of these two headphones, but with the 7520 having noticeably more extension on the lower bass. This bass hump may be too much for some,  and could be edging on mid-bass bloat. This type of presentation is closer to what one hears of bass presented in a room though, and so I think the 7520s achieved what they were looking for. (I think I need to hear the NAD HP50s and was interested in how they perform in comparison to the Harman Target Response Curve). 

This is a deeper listen than the Amperior, mostly because of the greater bass presence. I’ve read a few comments where people thought the sub bass was rolled off, this is certainly not the case. The bass is very speaker-like. The low-end is sucking me in quite a bit and is one of the most compelling aspects of these cans.

Clarity is there on the 7520. No doubt about that. I could say that the overall presentation could be too sharp for many listeners. The MDR-V6 were like that too. Ear scalpels. Listen at lower volumes, and its fine. Low-level listening also seems to work better for its overall frequency curve. They do seem a bit rolled off on the highs though. Like they are lacking a bit of high-frequency extension. Now this can be deceiving as I’m just comparing to my Amperior right now which are noticeably brighter. If I was to put on my LCD2, I’d find they actually produce more information on the high-end but are not tilted as bright.  

The Amperior are very clear too. They just have a more ‘agreeable’ presentation - one that could still be too harsh for some tastes (and for some HD25 fans included). 

Again, immediate impressions, but I’m kinda scratching my head whether these are a worthy upgrade to my Amperiors as an entire package. This is a personal thing. Though I could see where these would be a worthwhile part of an engineering or production setup, I feel my Amperiors aren’t too far behind in this respect. In this little test was pretty surprised how well the Amperior performed in comparison.

I also have the MDR-7550 in-ears which are real performers. Clarity and performance may even be greater on the 7550 but I don’t have them in front of me to test. I always feel like I have a bit of channel imbalance with the 7550s, mostly because the sound isn’t hitting the outer ear and the way it is angled in the canal. For those wondering, at low-level listening on the 7520, they are really comparable to the 7550. :)

Putting them up against the LCD2, I’d be interested to compare the bass, but I can already tell these aren’t going to compete overall as they are more competitive with the Amperior. Now that’s not a knock, as the Amperior were in the same price bracket at one-time and got looked over. 

The 7520, in my initial listening session are starting to win me over. They certainly have tightly controlled speaker like bass. 

At a Glance

Amperior

+ fits over the ear, not as clampy as HD25, pad material is very comfy
+ audiophile grade high-range and mid-range. Very low distortion.
+ punchy sound, which is a bit accented by the rolled off sub-bass
+ looks - well I like them, the aluminum blue cups feel and look great
+ built for tank gunners - if you need a headphone for a battlefield get the HD25 Aluminums or an Amperior with a cable upgrade. The split band allow you to perform spinning back kicks while still wearing them (not just hyperbole, have actually done this).
+ portability and wearability
+ price (I got mine for $100 CDN! but they are regular go for around $100-150USD)
+ SPL - carried over from the HD25 design.
+ comes with mobile controls and mic that works very well. 

- can still sound a bit congested, I feel this is partly due to its smaller size. 
- missing some sub-bass extension. Its there, and the bass is really clean. Just needs more. 
- doesn’t have the same ‘pro’ balance of the HD25. But its a trade-off.
- aren’t the worst with glasses, and depending on your frame you can optionally rest them above the pads. 
- a bit of an odd chord design. But I’ve come to appreciate it. just not as clean looking as it could have been. 

+ bass and sub-bass. This is not your ‘flat’-neutral presentation. Tight, extended bass is there when needed, on the instruments that need them. 
+ separation is really good. 
+ easily removable cable, standard 1/8”
+ light weight for its size
+ incredibly efficient and can be powered well from an iPhone but sound even better from a good DAC and amp. 
+ SPL - very high, and while not as efficient as the Amperior, the SPL here is greater with the bass pressure it can exert on your ears.
+ low-level listener. I know it may sound a bit lame to many who want to crank their music, but the 7520 sounds very good at lower volumes. This is a bonus some just haven’t realized yet. It can be sometimes hard to gauge the proper volume of headphones, as listeners are looking to feel the impact and excitement instead of listening for the details. 
+ seems to work for wearing glasses

- bass may be too much for some. Its a bit weird, while not basshead levels, it actually makes me want to turn the volume down instead of up. 
- medium size cups if you have large ears
- a bit on the pricier side but higher-quality than lower tier studio offerings from the majors.
- SPL - do not turn these headphone up. Holy crap, that will result in rapid hearing loss.
- studio presentation may not be agreeable for those looking for a smoother more laid-back sound.
- a little bit of creaking once and a while with head movements, nothing major (its not happening when I turn side to side) but it is present.

This is a tough choice. It's hard to overlook the Amperiors better fit, ergonomics, portability and relative value. I think comfort is going to kill it for me here unfortunately. 

Edit: a day later - well, I'm starting to come around to these. The low-end response and detail retrieval is excellent and the overall sound is incredible. The negatives I posted above are more for particular tastes and depending on the needs of the listener. These could be someones end game closed headphones and they are shaping up to be mine. I'm even getting past some of the comfort issues by adjusting placement of the cups further back on the head. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,081 of 2,535
Amperiors are a few notches down compared to the 7520. Beyer pads, done. I also own the Amperior, I have to say it is more of a beginners headphone. HD25 is more professional in every aspect. I had to order a separate coiled dj cable just for the Amperior. The sound did not impress me at all. Way too closed in and also is an on-ear, not over ear. I would have to almost always recommend the more professional headphone here. Don't get me wrong the Amperior may be a more suitable choice for a portable.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,082 of 2,535
I have to say it is more of a beginners headphone. 

Ouch! :) 

You make the Amperior sound as if it has training wheels. Amazing how everyone hears differently. 

I've owned an HD25 for years, and its a great headphone, and recently gifted it away. I will give the 7520 more listening time, so perhaps my opinion may change. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,083 of 2,535
Hi 

I have just bought some Sony MDR 7520 - got them sent over from the USA via Amazone seller and
now I really worry that I have bought fake headphones   :frowning2: 

I have just unboxed the headphones and they sound really really strange - it sounds like all the treble is off. 

I have the Sony MDR 7506 - and I had them on just before I put my Sony MDR 7506 on. 

When I put the Sony MDR 7520 on it sounds like someone just put a sock over the 7506 and the whole high-mid and high disappeared. 

Is that the normal sound of the Sony MDR 7520?   have anyone tried that? 

from all the reviews I thought I was going to hear a very clear top end ...much more clear than Sony 7506 ........
and not like someone put a sock over my headphones. 

Is it just me or have any of you had that experience the first time you put them on? 

(I have the headphones plugged into a 2013 macbook pro - which I have heard should be alright) 

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #2,084 of 2,535
Having tried both, I certainly would not say the high-mid disappears. At all.
The texture of them is a bit different IMO, but they both are two amazingly clear headphones.
If you bought "some" of them, and they all sound like if mid-high is recessed, I would be suspicious.
How much did you pay per 7520?

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,085 of 2,535
I paid $ 345,76 at this store: 

http://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A2R6DGVPQXMDQ7&merchant=A2R6DGVPQXMDQ7&redirect=true

If I compare headphones at 1.36 in this music video  

it feels like the MDR 7506 opens up the sound and the MDR 7520 just close down all the mid-highs.

Although the bottom end is really tight in the Sony MDR 7520 ...

Can your hear what I mean? :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back