Sony MDR-7520
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,876 of 2,535

re: sibilance.

Based on my thoughts i'd say that your looking at reproduction "issues" not so much of an emphasis on the 7520.

My theory on this is batch variation.

If you look at my comments (much much) earlier in the thread, I had one that was seriously hot in the sibilance region before. Like, cutting levels of painful. Made the sibilance on the HD25/Amperior sound like the sonic equivalent of a butter knife. It wasn't extra detail extraction as with the HD800 either (i.e. microscope effect)...it was just plain hot, a nasty emphasis between 6-7k. I really didn't know how people could listen to this headphone for any prolonged period of time. 

The one that I have on hand now sounds astoundingly different. I've listened to it with both my old upstream gear and my current gear to make sure that it's not that difference that was the cause. With the new pair, I can use my standard sibilance testing tracks even without extra discomfort. The differences extend beyond just sibilance too - the lower mids seem more forward, they were fairly recessed in the first pair I had. The first pair that I had also had an extremely dry sound to it. The new ones aren't lush or particularly warm sounding, but they also don't have the dry etched grain of the first pair. Other than those differences, the essential character of the two pairs that I had remains the same - both have superb detail extraction/plankton retrieval, both have excellent astoundingly well-extended bass, etc. etc. 

I'd have thought it was just people's hearing, track selections/quality, or upstream gear myself if I hadn't heard such a difference between the two pairs. Sony doesn't particularly have a reputation for having widespread pair variance...unlike, say, Beyerdynamic. But I think that there are at least two slightly different sounding versions of this 7520 circulating. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #1,877 of 2,535
You lucky B!
If I wasn't bothered by my 7520 in that area I would have been happy and kept them.
Best portable shaped headphone.
Excellent detailing and bass.
A bit agressive and sibilant at times for my ears though.
Correct.
Form factor is just perfect.
Sound quality one of highest in portables.
Haven't herd any other PORTABLE "over ear" models better with exception of Ultrasone signature & Edition series.
I had to go with ed8 for alot more $$$
frown.gif

I always think that the 7520's don't look particularly good in pictures but look a lot better in real life. But the real joy comes when you pick them up and feel the quality - they make my HD 800's feel like some space age toy by comparison - and then when you put them on your head they look (and feel IMO) REALLY good!

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,878 of 2,535
  My misunderstanding, so sorry!

I did not realize this other joint was also subject to creaking.  That looks like a bear of a joint and seems to be sealed.  Not sure if one can open the joint by loosening the screws in the band beside it or if there are some screws in the openings beneath it.  Seems like one may have to take the cups off of the pivots  to get at it.  I am not brave enough to give it a go though.

No problem! :)

I've read a bunch of these posts. I don't see how you'd get any kind of thread into the joint. I'll take some lubricant to them at some point.

Also, for those of you who are interested in the DT250 pads, I just stuck the Pearstone velour pads on there. Don't quote me on it, but I think the highs are a little tamer. These pads have the fabric driver covering unlike the 250 ones.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,879 of 2,535

No problem! :)

I've read a bunch of these posts. I don't see how you'd get any kind of thread into the joint. I'll take some lubricant to them at some point.

Also, for those of you who are interested in the DT250 pads, I just stuck the Pearstone velour pads on there. Don't quote me on it, but I think the highs are a little tamer. These pads have the fabric driver covering unlike the 250 ones.

How is the bass though? And how big are the pearstone velour pads? The DT250 pads are too small for my ears.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,880 of 2,535
I haven't noticed too much difference in the bass actually. The change, on the whole, is very subtle. The pads are roughly the same size as stock, but deeper. They do have a thicker rim, so there might be some taco-ing with really large ears. I have relatively big ears, though, and it's not an issue with me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,882 of 2,535
  Another cable possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OOQKB50/

So far so good. Very supple, seemingly good quality. Price is good too.

That looks a lot like an unbranded/rebranded NuForce Transient Cable. Excellent price for one of those - though I'd watch out for the lack of an effective strain relief if you're using it in your pocket with a smartphone. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,883 of 2,535
ordered... i have a decent short cable for mine already but it isn't very supple and is not oxygen free nor aluminum on the ends.  these look nice and 2 for 1 sounds great!  thanks!

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,888 of 2,535
  Has anyone made a FR graph for this yet?

I've never seen one and I have looked..............you holding out on us?

Well, I thought for some reason GoldenEars had something but I was mistaken. Sorry..the 7520 graph is still yet to be made I guess.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,890 of 2,535
  Yeah, I think there isn't a lot of demand because the Z1000 has a graph, and people have that misconception that Z1000 = 7520.

Somewhere in this thread someone posted an FR graph of the 7520. Search and you'll find :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back