Sony MDR-7520
Apr 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,321 of 2,535
I have been looking for a DIY locking connector and have not found any.  Do you know of one?

I've sent out emails inquiring about threading. In getting info you have to ask about the Sony UWP mics, and not the headphones, because the connectors are sold (and bought) for use with those lavalier mics. There's basically two common types you see--ones marked for Sennheiser and ones marked for Sony. But I've seen on some forums (the forums for the cousins to us headphone geeks over in the broadcast word) that the threading is actually the same, it's just that they need to be wired differently depending on whether you're using a Sony or Sennheiser mic. If that's really the case, then it doesn't matter which (Sony or Sennheiser compatible) you get. The people that say they're not compatible don't in fact specify whether it's the threading or the wiring scheme that's different, so they're no help.

I'm thinking of getting one, once I hear back about compatibility, and just not using the long metal housing. Instead, I'll figures something with a combination of plastic tubing and shrink wrap, and maybe something else, to emulate the molded design of our original cables, which seem less prone to damage from shocks than those long metal housings would be if they were sticking down off the 7520s.

So here are two types of connectors (actually 3, but note that these types aren't necessarily reflective of the Sony-Sennheiser distinction above -- I'm still trying to determine if the threading on these will fit the Sony, and which are of better quality generally):

OPTION A:
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors/Switchcraft-Corporation/35HDLBAUS.xhtml

OPTION B:
http://www.calradstore.com/30-296-bk.html
http://www.redco.com/Redco-SM-LK.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823882-REG/Pearstone_MLC_SE_Locking_1_8_3_5mm_TRS.html

Of course, there's also OPTION C:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-K1324/

Hope this helps!

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,323 of 2,535
eq can cover a fair amount of sins and I can see how the 701s can be tamed to be less aggressive in the highs, but not sure of how well the bass would respond.  On balance the 7520s are not  nearly that detailed in the upper frequencies but I supposed can be pushed to that ultra detailed side with eq if that is what you prefer.

Hi, thanks for your reply. When you say detail though are you talking just in terms of elevated high frequencies? This is not really what I mean by detail, I mean more like resolution, resolving power, how well the headphones can take away layers of distraction, and reproduce realistic space, portray the human voice naturally, etc, across all frequencies, not necessarily highs. With this in mind, which do you think resolve this kind of detail better, regardless of frequency balance, the 701s or 7520s?
Cheers!

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,324 of 2,535
Hi, thanks for your reply. When you say detail though are you talking just in terms of elevated high frequencies? This is not really what I mean by detail, I mean more like resolution, resolving power, how well the headphones can take away layers of distraction, and reproduce realistic space, portray the human voice naturally, etc, across all frequencies, not necessarily highs. With this in mind, which do you think resolve this kind of detail better, regardless of frequency balance, the 701s or 7520s?
Cheers!

Have not spent enough time with the 701s to form that opinion.  I do know the 7520s sounded more resolving to me than the Focal Pro, NAD, Mad Dog, Senn 650 and many others.  And by that, I mean more revealing of detail, harmonics, echo, decay, voice naturalness, etc.  Very close in overall revealing ability to my studio monitors.

They are very good with a slight peak in the lower treble which I do not find bothersome on most recordings.  Whereas I could not keep the 701s on my head for more than a few minutes because of the lack of a natural (to my ear) response in the midrange all the way down to the bass.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,326 of 2,535
  Just a gentle bump regarding the above.

looking for the coiled 7520 cable, name your price, im in the UK.

Thanks! :)

Again a subtle bumpage of the above :)

Someone must want to sell their cable! I quite like them and it would be great to keep the cables at different locations and just take the cans.

Let me know!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,329 of 2,535
I'll toss the housing. I guess I didn't mention that. The connector's nearly identical to the stock one (same mechanism and dimensions on the threaded collar), but instead of plastic molding strain relief it's got a metal housing. So I'll leave off the housing and do a DIY thing with a combination of shrink tubing and whatever else seems necessary to make it solid, and not bulkier than the original.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,330 of 2,535
Does anyone else have any idea about where the 7520's resolving power/detail sits compared to favourites like the K701, HD800 or even Stax headphones? Most reviews of the 7520s mention good detail but I've noticed a lot of the reviewers are just comparing to things like DT880s, much lower end Sony models, etc, and it's not difficult for a headphone to have more detail than these kind of headphones. I wonder if the Sonys are really genuinely world class resolving headphones or not... and to be clear I mean detail/resolution disregarding frequency imbalance, in other words imagine totally flattening the frequency response with EQ or by whatever means, then comparing ONLY the detail/resolution capability.

Cheers

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,331 of 2,535
  I do know the 7520s sounded more resolving to me than the Focal Pro, NAD, Mad Dog, Senn 650 and many others.  And by that, I mean more revealing of detail, harmonics, echo, decay, voice naturalness, etc.  Very close in overall revealing ability to my studio monitors.

Does anyone else have any idea about where the 7520's resolving power/detail sits compared to favourites like the K701, HD800 or even Stax headphones? Most reviews of the 7520s mention good detail but I've noticed a lot of the reviewers are just comparing to things like DT880s, much lower end Sony models, etc, and it's not difficult for a headphone to have more detail than these kind of headphones. I wonder if the Sonys are really genuinely world class resolving headphones or not... and to be clear I mean detail/resolution disregarding frequency imbalance, in other words imagine totally flattening the frequency response with EQ or by whatever means, then comparing ONLY the detail/resolution capability.

Your answer is pretty much six posts back. Nothing images as well as an HD800...tonal balance is another matter though. And the Stax headphones (SR007/009) are both open back TOTL "summit-fi" electrostats. Almost all reviews and comparisons that you're going to find for those phones will be out of drastically better DACs and specialized amps - making any comparison questionable because of significant equipment-level testing differences. Not a lot of people are going to listen to a 7520 out of a Headamp Blue Hawaii.

The real competitors against the 7520 are those in its similar ergonomic/use or price bracket: closed back, low impedance mid-fi phones, Fostex T50rp mods and HiFiMan orthos, and pre-"summit fi" open orthos and dynamics priced between $150-700. In that bracket, you have a lot of stiff competition: the Focal Spirit Pro/Classic, NAD Viso HP50, PBS M4U1 & 2, UE6000, LFF's Paradox, Dan's Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs, HE-4/5, HE-400/500, and the venerable Sennheiser HD600/650 to name a few. Bixby, who from my experience has good ears and certainly plenty of experience, made a good list of phones in this bracket that he thinks the 7520 beats out in resolution. That's not an insignificant list: the HD600/650 series is pretty detailed when ran through a good DAC/Amp match - they scale up really well. 

P.S. Hi everyone. My 7520 will arrive on Saturday. I couldn't take the FSP's fit and clamp anymore, so I'm giving these a shot. Traded my FSP off for a Paradox, which I love. But a T50rp mod is hardly a portable phone ;_;

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,332 of 2,535

Your answer is pretty much six posts back. Nothing images as well as an HD800...tonal balance is another matter though. And the Stax headphones (SR007/009) are both open back TOTL "summit-fi" electrostats. Almost all reviews and comparisons that you're going to find for those phones will be out of drastically better DACs and specialized amps - making any comparison questionable because of significant equipment-level testing differences. Not a lot of people are going to listen to a 7520 out of a Headamp Blue Hawaii.

The real competitors against the 7520 are those in its similar ergonomic/use or price bracket: closed back, low impedance mid-fi phones, Fostex T50rp mods and HiFiMan orthos, and pre-"summit fi" open orthos and dynamics priced between $150-700. In that bracket, you have a lot of stiff competition: the Focal Spirit Pro/Classic, NAD Viso HP50, PBS M4U1 & 2, UE6000, LFF's Paradox, Dan's Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs, HE-4/5, HE-400/500, and the venerable Sennheiser HD600/650 to name a few. Bixby, who from my experience has good ears and certainly plenty of experience, made a good list of phones in this bracket that he thinks the 7520 beats out in resolution. That's not an insignificant list: the HD600/650 series is pretty detailed when ran through a good DAC/Amp match - they scale up really well. 

P.S. Hi everyone. My 7520 will arrive on Saturday. I couldn't take the FSP's fit and clamp anymore, so I'm giving these a shot. Traded my FSP off for a Paradox, which I love. But a T50rp mod is hardly a portable phone ;_;

Let us know how the Paradox do for you.  I was really impressed with the midrange openness and more forward presentation vs the standard Mad Dogs.  Did the FSP fit your ears or was it just the clamp that got the best of you?

I think I am going to start a thread for big eared folk, like me and get dimensions from owners of various over the ear cans so potential buyers will have a reference point.   I'll come back here and link it if anyone is interested.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,333 of 2,535
  Let us know how the Paradox do for you.  I was really impressed with the midrange openness and more forward presentation vs the standard Mad Dogs.  Did the FSP fit your ears or was it just the clamp that got the best of you?

I think I am going to start a thread for big eared folk, like me and get dimensions from owners of various over the ear cans so potential buyers will have a reference point.   I'll come back here and link it if anyone is interested.

The clamp, sadly. I have TMJ issues and their clamp, especially below the ear, caused my joint pain, popping, and cracking to go crazy.  Can't over emphasize this enough: if the pads had been even a little bit larger, I would have been able to adjust the pressure point elsewhere and still have maintained a good acoustic seal. I think a pad size index for circumaural headphones would really helpful for a lot of people.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,334 of 2,535

Thanks for your reply. That's a good list and I appreciate bixby's response, thank you very much, but wanted others' input if you don't mind. As you can probably tell I'm not after 'pretty detailed', but 'as detailed as possible'. You mention HD800 imaging well - imaging is part of it but not really what I'm talking about when I say detail/resolution.. Nor is tonal balance which I have clearly explained a couple of times. You also mention the highest end Stax which of course I know almost nothing else will compare to (I was talking more about the entry level Stax systems that might be comparable to a $400 headphone). Just for information I've heard amongst others: Senn 650 (nice presentation, nowhere near detailed enough for me), HD800 (one time unbalanced which sounded thin, the other balanced out of a big amp which sounded brilliant), AKG K701 (owned these for 6 years, over 400hrs burn in, used with custom EQ correction, amazing detail even compared to HD800), Beyer DT250 80 (owned for 20 years or more), T70p (reference, extended bass, amazing clarity, detail, and 'liveness' but even harsher than 701 in the highs unEQed), Stax SR2170, 407, 507 (in Dynamic Audio, Tokyo, best detail and realism I've heard so far), LCD3 (nice, a little boring I thought), Momentum, etc, and lots of others. I have read the Focal Pros are very detailed and can see this in the 30Hz and 300Hz square wave graphs, so appreciate the comment that the 7520s are more resolving than this, but havent heard them, and others like the NAD, 650, and some planar magnetics are supposed to be laid back and not necessarily that detailed.
I guess the main thing I'm trying to do is work out if these really are very resolving and can compete with the best (and will be an improvement in my system) or as you say it's more like people with not much experience of good headphones or lower end systems are getting these as their first real pair and doing the reviews. I have read a couple of good reviews, one that said they were only bettered by JH13 iems, another who had HD800 and vaguely said they conpare, but nothing solid. Even one account of "Sony 7520 versus HD800 detail" would be enough for me to see where it fits.
By the way my system is Surface Pro/Mac Pro with Kingrex UD384 (ESS Sabre) DAC / UPower, Scherzo Audio Andante amp with custom made USB cable (split data/power), hand made silver/teflon interconnects, Isone Pro, ie very highly resolving, realistic, and even in the ballpark of some of the highest-end systems I've heard.
I do restoration mastering work and have plenty of years experience in the professional audio/audiophile worlds.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back